NFL: 2014 Everyone Gets a Trophy in the Offseason

Jace, Extat

Fair point on the player character issues, but on his part in making the Colts the "envy of the league" -- come on. They happened to be abominable the year before Peyton Manning got drafted, and then they Sucked for Luck.

Well...

Well, if you're not saying he's a good owner, then I don't know what the problem is with having a stiff penalty for any owner who runs afoul of the league's conduct policy.

Owners should be held to a higher standard, and that means the penalties need to be sufficiently severe that an owner will actually care. What would be an exorbitant fine to a normal person and even a large fine to a player (say 500k) is just a pinprick to a billionaire. In order to actually incentivize good behavior for owners, the punishments need to be severe.

This threatens to spill over into other things that I'm not particularly interested in discussing, but what you're talking about is grossly unfair. If Jarius Byrd gets penalized for an illegal hit to a WR's head, should he be penalized more than Joe Lefeged because he makes $10 million annually to Lefeged's league-minimum?

This threatens to spill over into other things that I'm not particularly interested in discussing, but what you're talking about is grossly unfair. If Jarius Byrd gets penalized for an illegal hit to a WR's head, should he be penalized more than Joe Lefeged because he makes $10 million annually to Lefeged's league-minimum?

Maybe? But that is indeed another topic. I'm not going into whether rich owners should be penalized differently than less rich owners (there are no poor owners of course). But owners should absolutely be penalized differently (and more harshly) than players, their relative wealth is only part of the reason.

I think owners should lose 10 percent of their ownership every year their team has a racist nickname. ;)

If Dan Snyder were to lose 100 percent of his ownership share, no one would be happier about it than me.

Why exactly would the owners ever install such potential punishments for themselves?

Brand protection, which is a big deal to the NFL. I don't think they'd ever put in such punitive mechanisms, but at the very least they'd want the ability to crowbar one of their own out if s/he is detrimental to the league's image, as the NBA is trying to do to Donald Sterling.

In America, the only people who can punish billionaires are other billionaires.

Yes, but that´s not NFL doing it anymore. Maith is arguing that the league should be able to punish the owners like that.

I'm not sure I agree with the distinction you're making. In any legal or corporate sense, the owners are the NFL. Everyone else, including Goodell, is hired help.

I feel good about the Jets this year, and since everyone knows they're my 42nd favorite NFL team I feel ok saying it.

I'm not predicting playoffs or anything, but I think they've got a good shot. If they can get a few good games from Vick and Johnson and the defensive backfield steps up, a wildcard is certainly reasonable in my mind.

Post brought on by seeing Muhammad Wilkerson on the Top 100 players list.

I feel good about the Jets this year, and since everyone knows they're my 42nd favorite NFL team I feel ok saying it.

I'm not predicting playoffs or anything, but I think they've got a good shot. If they can get a few good games from Vick and Johnson and the defensive backfield steps up, a wildcard is certainly reasonable in my mind.

Post brought on by seeing Muhammad Wilkerson on the Top 100 players list.

Bowman was insanely low on the list. How the fuck did he drop 12 spots when playing like a DPOY?

Atlanta Falcons will be on this year's Hard Knocks.

Interesting. I don't feel like I know a lot about the Falcons, and in spite of winning the #1 NFC seed twice and coming ten yards from to the Super Bowl in 2012, this remains a team that most people don't take very seriously.

They can't beat the Saints. You can't be taken seriously as a contender if you're not the best team in your division. Unless you're in the suddenly-relevant NFC West.

Bowman was insanely low on the list. How the fuck did he drop 12 spots when playing like a DPOY?

Agreed.

Steelers extend Pouncey for five more years

The deal is worth $44 million, a league official told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, which makes Pouncey the highest-paid center in the NFL.

He was totally quality before maiming his knee to start last season. I'm glad they locked him up early. That offensive line has been a nightmare for too many years. A nightmare offensive line means a nightmare situation for the quarterback...and while I am happy when I see Ben get stomped, I also want the team to succeed. Trying to be positive... yay Pro Bowl center!

He was totally quality before maiming his knee to start last season. I'm glad they locked him up early. That offensive line has been a nightmare for too many years. A nightmare offensive line means a nightmare situation for the quarterback...and while I am happy when I see Ben get stomped, I also want the team to succeed. Trying to be positive... yay Pro Bowl center!

I wish my team had a player who expressed anger at the lack of 'support' for a murderer.

One of the most overrated players in the league. I'm glad they locked him up too.

Archived