[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

No wai, the head squish was made of yes and win. Oh yeah! You know, that played out exactly how i imagined it in the books so the duel was ace.

Is the vampy Sansa from Winds or are they just rewriting her?

Pretty sure thats not a rewrite. Its playing up something thats likely to be hinted at in the upcoming book. In other words, i think i have a feeling where the "controversial Sansa chapter" is going now. Sansa is doing what i have been suspecting she is doing and while its not as subtle (lel) in the show, its still awesome. I am ok with this. I am more than ok with this.

Honestly, did we need to hear 3 mins of that beetle story. And why the Missandei/Greyworm subplot? Is there a purpose to that?

The beetle story is actually telling us Tyrion's thought processes because we aint in his dome in the show. Hes spelling it out, just what he does and why. (and why his character development is going in the direction its going.) If people didnt pick up on that, i dont know what to tell ya.

As for Missandei/Grey Worm, this is actually an attempt to flesh out these two characters and add a layer to Meereen. To give us something to root for there. We all know its a foregone conclusion, Dany fails in Meereen. But Grey Worm and Missandei having feelings for each other is something we can get behind emotionally. That and the two of them are composite characters. Theres elements of Strong Belwas (without the funny) and Rakharo in GW along with his canon self. Missandei is composited of all of Dany's handmaidens. So yeah thats whats going on there.

Emilia Clarke got brownie points for not flubbing that scene. Nice job! i could feel the rage and heartache.

First Jorah wasnt begging pardon he was demanding.

Did you really think they were going to make Jorah look like that big of a dick? I expected them to sugar coat that a bit but it still came off as Dany being in the right.

Arya's laugh...it was hilarious and chilling at the same time.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread and might have missed this but did anyone catch Oberyn's comment to Tyrion about the fighting pits?

Nope. I sure didnt.

Theon and Moat Cailin and Ramsay got legitimized. Wowwowowowwow

Why not? Or he becomes aware they are around and sends them on their way somehow and with no drama. But I can't see that opportunistic fiend not trying to get Arya (2 Stark girls) for his own gains. Like, maybe, this is why the Hound doesn't get work if they allude to the books.

It's another show red herring, like Bran and John...Arya and the Hound will leave thinking theres no point with Lysa dead. Maybe Sansa will find out after the fact.

It's another show red herring, like Bran and John...Arya and the Hound will leave thinking theres no point with Lysa dead. Maybe Sansa will find out after the fact.

Ah….but I think there is NO WAY in hell he would leave if he knew she was there. Unless prevented somehow or physically removed. It would stink if he starts weakening from the wound and finds out. That will be just too friggin sad. If he gets that tree confessional scene and he is upset with regrets and upset that she was so close and he couldn't go to her because he is weak and dying, it might make sense.

Meaning, though I love both tv characters, I could not figure out, besides the comedy factor, why they show up almost every episode and keep walking, and walking, traveling, with nothing much happening. Might have just been all set up for a big emotional scene for the Hound and Arya. The tree scene.

Sansa might be pissed at LF, if she finds out he knew and didn't tell her…later.

Edited by booknerd2

Oberyn is too cool for Westeros that is why he died. But damn isn't the fight amazing? And his death! Gruesome as i remember from the books!

Also as for Sansa, there will be a time that she will beat Little finger in the game of thrones. I'm hoping for it.

And as for Daenerys.... The day she exiled Jorah is the day and onward where she will constantly fucks up ruling mereen. Oh and 50 shades of Daario.

Lots of changes but I found I could live with most of them.

They’ve added Moat Cailin to the credits, but still no Eyrie? WTF?

Moletown – good to show the attack. I guess it was good to have a named character (Gilly) there to witness it. By the way, I noticed that there was less nudity in the brothel than they would typically show. Hoping that’s the direction in which they’re heading. A much as I hated the farting of Bear and the Maiden Fair, it was a welcome break from naked whores number 59 to 63 on the screen.

Missendei/Grey Worm – So, are they now saying that Unsullied have penes? I always thought everything was removed… I do get that they need attractive people to show naked/having sex, especially if you believe the story that Emilia has refused any more explicit scenes, but that seems a little weird. Both actors are very good looking, though, and their story is kinda nice if you don’t know about all the stuff being eliminated from the books to incorporate their romance. But what was with Missendei’s delayed reaction in covering herself?

Theon/Ramsay – Alfie Allen continues to be flawless as Theon/Reek. I liked the way the ironborn guy got axed in the head—it reminded me to Theon getting bonked on the head during his epic speech about capturing Winterfell. LOVED Theon regressing into Reek when challenged and then regaining his Theon-ness when that guy was killed. I liked how they showed the renaming of Ramsay and the explanation that the Boltons now = the North. However, they have done away with all other Northerners in the show (Umbers, Mormonts, etc.) so it will be strange if/when they show any sort of reaction/rebellion against the Boltons. Also, why did Ramsay refer to “a new home” BEFORE he was legitimized –he hasn’t been given Winterfell yet…

The new Sansa – I really liked this approach with Sansa being honest then manipulative. I think it works for the older Sansa, because Sophie Turner is too old and too tall to be taken seriously as a frightened child. The problem is that so many people know that she is Sansa—everyone knows that the more people who know a secret, the less likely it is to stay a secret. Also, it looks like they may be heading for “relations” between “Manipulative” Sansa and Petyr. Not sure I can watch that if it comes…

Where is Sweetrobin going? I’m assuming that they didn’t want to pay for snow special effects on the Eyrie (or they’ve forgotten that Winter is Coming) so they had to come up with another reason for them to leave…BTW, I was thinking that they could have made Sansa blonde instead of brunette—that way they could simply have allowed the actress to go to her natural hair color…

Jorah’s exile – I’m glad they kept it in, but why a pardon from Robert Baratheon? Why would it take so long to reach them—Robert died 3 seasons ago! Jorah might have been able to explain it away by saying that he subsequently switched allegiences. Wouldn’t a pardon from Joffrey have made more sense—since that would demonstrate recent betrayal? Also, I thought Dany should have shown some indecision here based on the many things that Jorah has done for her. She always seemed ungrateful in the books (but even there she wanted to forgive him), and this made her seem doubly so. Instead, we got Her Imperiousness Daenerys Stormborn. Also, why wasn’t she looking at Jorah when condemning him? The way she was looking over him seemed stupid to me. I would have been okay if I thought it meant indecision, but it didn’t appear to.

A random crackpot theory popped into my head in this scene—Barristan’s dismissal from the KG by Cersei and Joffrey was a sham and a way to get him into Dany’s inner circle so that he can hurt her from within her own army!

The Hound and Arya – Nice foreshadowing to her future as a Faceless Person, including her ability to kill people in whatever manner was available. I liked the irony of them arriving at the Eyrie after Lysa’s death. However, I would have preferred it to be clearer that her laughing was hysteria, not humor…

As much as I adore Jaime and Tyrion together, I thought that scene was painfully long. I would have preferred to spend the time with Oberyn

The Trial – Pedro Pascal is THE MAN and killed this scene (until it killed him). His lines could have been cheesy, but he delivered them well. That flipping around and fighting was AWESOME. Only issues I had were no “Eliiiiiaaaa!”(but I'll survive) and the exploding melon head--c’mon Special Effects, you could have done better. I’m not a fan of seeing bodily functions on the screen, but Tyrion vomiting would have been great here. This scene could have been a couple of minutes longer too, to include more of the preparation.

Edited by nara

I don't understand why some people are saying Arya was laughing maniacally or that she has turned sadistic. I saw her laughing at just the whole situation of arriving again to be reunited with some family and being told that they were too late (Red Wedding?) so she was laughing at her and the Hound's shitty timing and luck. I thought the scene was pretty entertaining IMO

I don't understand why some people are saying Arya was laughing maniacally or that she has turned sadistic. I saw her laughing at just the whole situation of arriving again to be reunited with some family and being told that they were too late (Red Wedding?) so she was laughing at her and the Hound's shitty timing and luck. I thought the scene was pretty entertaining IMO

early in her dialogue she told that find fun(or good) and stuff to kill rorge and others....It's not revenge for Show's Arya... its fun time.

Arya's laugh. Hysteria, pain, anger, incredulity, was great, and the Hound's face and not laughing with her or at her. His face was priceless. Very poignant. He gets is. It was another real blow to him. He can't get in with Sansa's family.

The funny thing is that the scenes and dialogue are getting re-done but the general themes are not in some senses.

Edited by booknerd2

With a few misstep here and there, this was rather interesting, and for me as Sansa fan, truly memorable episode. Long story short, Sansa and Oberyn ruled this, unfortunately in different directions.

The end was as gory as it should have been. I know some viewers don't like it, but the books leave no imagination to what has happened there, and the duel was nicely done. The Oberyn's mobility was something expected and there was a nice flow to it. Liked how he handled the spear, it was indeed nicely done. I loved the keeping "You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children" and Pascal was absolutely phenomenal in making each of those times slightly more irritated. I am sincerely pleased at how show maintained the twist we have in books, and how our hopes were crushed in the very same cruel way it was done in the books. I assume the Unsullied rage has went over the top...

On the other hand we have "from Aurora to Maleficent" Sansa Stark. The end is there. This is all we have from Sansa in terms of book material, and I believe that we have concluded with her this year. How I feel about this is another story. This was truly from zero to hero transformation and although it felt a bit too fast, this was something that truly opens entire array of possibilities. Now, we can either conclude that Alayne Stone is the mask that never went deep in Sansa's psyche, or at least that is where the show is heading. TBH, there is a huge gap between Sansa's Alayne in TV and Sansa's Alayne in the books. This transformation was, in terms of her playing the game, phenomenal, but there is a feeling that TV Sansa is going into, if not "warrior princess" mode, than in some sort of "ice queen" which, again, can be problematic. I do find her acknowledgement of what LF wants rather interesting, and I assume that this indeed is TWOW spoilers in which Sansa realizes what LF wants from her. As for the vamp costume, we should never forget one thing - she sow it. She made that costume. She was the one who made her look that way. Not LF or anyone else. Sansa has turned herself into a player, and that can go in many directions... All and all, if we are to end her storyline this year, it is in many ways, interesting ending. Now, at least no one can argue that she is silly little girl :)

ETA: Let we not forget a bit crow-ish appeal of Sansa. Bloodraven, much?

In conclusion, interesting episode with Sansa and Oberyn taking the crown this week. Both Turner and Pascal were amazing and truly wonderful addition to the cast. I am going to miss Pascal... As I miss Oberyn :(

Edited by Mladen

Yeah, I actually laughed in sync with her. Guess I'm sadistic.