[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

I don't understand why some people are saying Arya was laughing maniacally or that she has turned sadistic. I saw her laughing at just the whole situation of arriving again to be reunited with some family and being told that they were too late (Red Wedding?) so she was laughing at her and the Hound's shitty timing and luck. I thought the scene was pretty entertaining IMO

That's how I took it as well. That she was rolling her ass off because it's "just her luck" to have another family member die on her before she could get to them. Pretty good scene in my opinion.

While I liked the Jaime and Tyrion interaction, I wish they would have cut out that LONG beetle conversation and instead added the scene where Oberyn talks to Tyrion about taking him to Dorne once he wins.

I don't see the issue with Arya's laughter. That was nervous laughter I believe it's called. She's had so much crap dumped on her that hearing about her aunt just gives her the opposite reaction. It's a coping mechanism.

Edited by Darth Pipes

I loved this episode. Fight scene was great, I like how sansas storyline is less boring now, and even the missandi grey worm storyline seemed great to me. Especially because they aged missandi up so much, and the book never really went into the psyche of the unsullied. It makes sense that out of 4 thousand castrated men some of them would have the hots for Danny and missandi. It's a nice addition IMO

Ygritte's reaction to that baby made me think she's preggers with Jon's little snowbunny.

That would be interesting, That could be the baby that Jon swaps with Gilly's child...

But I want more Mance and I want Val to appear, so I hope not.

I didn't think this episode was glaringly disjointed at all, it was one hell of a ride from scene to scene. By far my favorite episode of the season so far. Examples of disjointed episodes to me would be Two Swords and First of His Name.

Agreed.

Mladen, i really think Sansa's costume change is to simply signify that shes pretty much done with being The Dumbass Dove and now a raven watching everything. Watching everything. It happens in the Vale, Alayne is gonna know. I really actually dont think this "LF is my senpai and he noticed me" thing is gonna last. Shes got a will of her own. They are just speeding up the process in the show cuz its good TV.

Wait... Where were the runes on Bronze Yohn Royce's armor? I was looking forward to seeing them.

Wowwow thats one hell of a nitpick! hue! I didnt even remember them. Bronze Yohn is gr9 doe.

While I liked the Jaime and Tyrion interaction, I wish they would have cut out that LONG beetle conversation and instead added the scene where Oberyn talks to Tyrion about taking him to Dorne once he wins.

If I recall correctly, Oberyn says something very important regarding Myrcella in that conversation. I wonder where that information is going to come from now.

No wai, the head squish was made of yes and win. Oh yeah! You know, that played out exactly how i imagined it in the books so the duel was ace.

Pretty sure thats not a rewrite. Its playing up something thats likely to be hinted at in the upcoming book. In other words, i think i have a feeling where the "controversial Sansa chapter" is going now. Sansa is doing what i have been suspecting she is doing and while its not as subtle (lel) in the show, its still awesome. I am ok with this. I am more than ok with this.

The beetle story is actually telling us Tyrion's thought processes because we aint in his dome in the show. Hes spelling it out, just what he does and why. (and why his character development is going in the direction its going.) If people didnt pick up on that, i dont know what to tell ya.

As for Missandei/Grey Worm, this is actually an attempt to flesh out these two characters and add a layer to Meereen. To give us something to root for there. We all know its a foregone conclusion, Dany fails in Meereen. But Grey Worm and Missandei having feelings for each other is something we can get behind emotionally. That and the two of them are composite characters. Theres elements of Strong Belwas (without the funny) and Rakharo in GW along with his canon self. Missandei is composited of all of Dany's handmaidens. So yeah thats whats going on there.

Emilia Clarke got brownie points for not flubbing that scene. Nice job! i could feel the rage and heartache.

Did you really think they were going to make Jorah look like that big of a dick? I expected them to sugar coat that a bit but it still came off as Dany being in the right.

Arya's laugh...it was hilarious and chilling at the same time.

Nope. I sure didnt.

Theon and Moat Cailin and Ramsay got legitimized. Wowwowowowwow

Not only that but it's a nice setup for the scene that follows. Tyrion is comparing the Mountain to his halfwit cousin(who died from getting kicked in the chest by a mule heh heh). By giving pause to brutality for brutality's sake it makes the duel extra frustrating.

No wai, the head squish was made of yes and win. Oh yeah! You know, that played out exactly how i imagined it in the books so the duel was ace.

Pretty sure thats not a rewrite. Its playing up something thats likely to be hinted at in the upcoming book. In other words, i think i have a feeling where the "controversial Sansa chapter" is going now. Sansa is doing what i have been suspecting she is doing and while its not as subtle (lel) in the show, its still awesome. I am ok with this. I am more than ok with this.

The beetle story is actually telling us Tyrion's thought processes because we aint in his dome in the show. Hes spelling it out, just what he does and why. (and why his character development is going in the direction its going.) If people didnt pick up on that, i dont know what to tell ya.

As for Missandei/Grey Worm, this is actually an attempt to flesh out these two characters and add a layer to Meereen. To give us something to root for there. We all know its a foregone conclusion, Dany fails in Meereen. But Grey Worm and Missandei having feelings for each other is something we can get behind emotionally. That and the two of them are composite characters. Theres elements of Strong Belwas (without the funny) and Rakharo in GW along with his canon self. Missandei is composited of all of Dany's handmaidens. So yeah thats whats going on there.

Emilia Clarke got brownie points for not flubbing that scene. Nice job! i could feel the rage and heartache.

Did you really think they were going to make Jorah look like that big of a dick? I expected them to sugar coat that a bit but it still came off as Dany being in the right.

Arya's laugh...it was hilarious and chilling at the same time.

Nope. I sure didnt.

Theon and Moat Cailin and Ramsay got legitimized. Wowwowowowwow

I wouldn't mind the Missandei/Greyworm scene if it wasn't at the expense of other characters/storylines from the books. They have so little time and so much ground to cover and they add on these immaterial IMHO subplots. Why not flush out Jon's/Stannis' characters. As for the beetle story, I get it, but it still didn't have to be 5 mins long.

I don't get the dislike for the Missandei and Grey Worm scene. All I personally ask for is that I have a reason to care about the characters on my screen. It can be cheesy or it can be complex. But give me something. This gave me something and I'm grateful for it.

I still think they failed to show the process that was turning Sansa into a game of thrones player... And more Littlefinger looked like a fool. So now that show's Sansa is on the game what about her next chapters? Now that they just jumped over her learning process her next great moment is when Littlefinger tells her to marry the heir of the house arryn after little robert dies... But sansa is already kind of ruling it.

I don't see the issue with Arya's laughter. That was nervous laughter I believe it's called. She's had so much crap dumped on her that hearing about her aunt just gives her the opposite reaction. It's a coping mechanism.

This. I almost typed defense mechanism before. Totally agree. And it is a wink to the readers and tv viewers. Because even when I read the books after awhile myself I had to slap my head in disbelief at how bad things keep getting for her that, yes, it was almost laughable, or shout at the heavens on one's knees time.

I don't get the dislike for the Missandei and Grey Worm scene. All I personally ask for is that I have a reason to care about the characters on my screen. It can be cheesy or it can be complex. But give me something. This gave me something and I'm grateful for it.

I agree with this. Missandei and Grey Worm are Irri and Jiqui and the other Dothraki who doesn't bed cows nor boys. I miss the dothraki handmaids but they both are fine.

Oh yeah...

Missendei/Grey Worm – So, are they now saying that Unsullied have penes? I always thought everything was removed… I do get that they need attractive people to show naked/having sex, especially if you believe the story that Emilia has refused any more explicit scenes, but that seems a little weird. Both actors are very good looking, though, and their story is kinda nice if you don’t know about all the stuff being eliminated from the books to incorporate their romance. But what was with Missendei’s delayed reaction in covering herself?

I actually think Grey Worm is balls and shaftless completely. I think his staring was him going "well hell. I really like her and its kinda awesome shes paying attention to me. She gives me reason to fight that i can keep in my feels box. But im a sad panda. If she likes me back, i cant give her the Big Main Thing and thats the pits. Maybe if i fib..nah that wont work either. I dunno. I think im in love but im not sure how this feels cuz i dont have man parts and i cant give her everything she needs or wants."

Missandei is like "Hes totally checking me out right? Right? That cant be right..but i kinda want him to keep looking. But does that mean theres still something there that makes him want my body? Does he even want that?"

Their discussion together a bit later actually confirms that no, Grey Worm isnt really into the Boom Boom but hes glad he could see her for herself and shes glad he saw her. Theres no walls between em, no shame really. (and thats more or less what her discussion with Dany was about. Dany finds shame in one's body to be an alien concept.) Grey Worm was saying he likes to be near her and those moments are precious. This is a word he learned from Jorah. In other words, he digs her for who she is. And shes pretty cool with it.

Thats how i saw it anyway.

Great episode. Loved every minute of it. Sophie Turner finally giving me the chills.

The fight was amazing. That's what a call GOOD television. I read the fight in ASOS and cheered for Oberyn all the way. Tonight I knew what would happen and I knew there was no way it would be changed for the show, but yet they got me cheering for Oberyn from start to finish.

And say what you want about the Boltons, but they're damn good at flaying people hahaha.