[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

I took the laughter to mean she was affected by the absurdity of missing her saving grace by a hair, yet again. She's never met Lysa so has no reason to really laugh at her death psychotically (she just might if they'd met, of course.)

Yeah. Just like the Twins last season. "Im sorry but your salvation is in another castle."

*maniacal laughter*

I am starting to think she leaves the Hound to end the season, but doesn't actually get on the boat until the beginning of next season.

Hm. But it would be such a great way to wrap up her arc this season, her handing the coin over to the captain. Such a clean break.

I had to get up and walk away during that last scene.

Re: Missandei and Grey Worm, I was a little impatient with those scenes, but I think they almost have to reestablish the fact that liberating people from slavery is actually a good thing - giving people the right to fall in love where they will and to determine their own fates despite what's been done to them is the outgrowth of liberation. Dany's storyline, and the audience's ambivalence about her and her motivations, makes it seem like there is some ambiguity to the right and wrong of the matter (which in her world, there might well be, but in our world, shouldn't be open to question. I like nuance in storytelling, but slavery - no.) Missandei and Grey Worm establishing their own motivations and relationships makes it clear that they haven't just traded one set of dictatorial masters for another, that there's actually substance to freedom.

Pleased that they're speeding up the Sansa storyline.

Wonder if Arya "outing" herself may add credence to the later Bolton plot with the fake-Arya - if everyone has assumed that she's dead up till now, but then there are rumors that someone has seen her, it makes it more believable that the Boltons have found her.

Arya's laughter struck me as a coping mechanism.

Should I be worried about the fact that I actually felt something for Ramsay (who I generally detest) when his father legitimized him? Sympathy for psychopaths seems like a bad sign.....

Todays episode was not the finale my friend lol.

Yeah, but at this point we all assume that S04E09 is 100% stuff at the Wall. Season finale will be15 or so minutes longer than average, but they' have several other storylines to wrap up.

One thing that i knew was going to happen was when Jorah gets a pardon letter in the first season, then when barristan selmy turns up (and doesnt confess to danny that jorah was spying)

And in this episode he gets another letter saying he is pardoned.

kinda just something they mustnt have thought of when writing this episode.

Conan Stevens (season 1) could play the menacing part. This guy was just some bellowing extra without an ounce of menace beyond his costume.

He's the second strongest man on Earth, he'd wipe his ass with Conan Stevens, then eat him just to prove how tough he is

Edited by NightStark

Oh, and on re- watching I do think Sansa may have seduced LF. What better way to control him? It's a way to protect herself and possibly Robert Robyn Arryn. Depending what she thinks will be most advantageous to herself. She's holding all the cards. At any point she could tell the truth about LF pushing Lysa out the moon door.

We know that Sansa Stark is still a secret among the Lords Declerant, hence Arya has no sanctuary in the Vale. Though if I was as desperate as Arya, I would ask help from my cousin Robert,Mir I knew I had one.

How does Arya get to Bravos? Easy. Read the book!

On the way to Saltpans, the Hound is sickens from His wound. He appears to die and Arya will remember the coin, J'aquen Hagar and sail for Bravos.

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

About Gregor, other than perhaps a little make-up magic and hair-bleaching to age him some 10 years, i think he was just fine. His Icelandic accent made him sound just as tired and rageful as he should have been.

At least we won't have to worry about this casting discussio anymore. He won't need his head to play the part anymore :)

Oh yeah, the fight was hardly improvable IMO.

Edited by Fjordgazer

WAIT!! I've just remembered! Braavos was featured in the opening, but we had nobody at that city today.

What was it? To not forget the city? I don't think it was because of Stannis and the IB.

Arya is totally sailing there this season. Too much feature of the city.

WAIT!! I've just remembered! Braavos was featured in the opening, but we had nobody at that city today.

What was it? To not forget the city? I don't think it was because of Stannis and the IB.

Arya is totally sailing there this season. Too much feature of the city.

Winterfell has been in the opening sequence of this season and the last one and we haven't seen it in two seasons.

Edited by NightStark

I liked Arya laughing at news of Lysa's death, even though it seems like it would be out of character for her.

My take on the beetle monologue on a meta level was Orson = GRRM, beetles = ASOIAF characters, and Tyrion = horrified audience. :D It did seem to dovetail with a lot of the other plotlines in the episode featuring horrible brutality: Ramsay, Gregor, the wildling attack, etc.

I really thought this would be the episode where Arya abandoned the Hound, but I guess they're saving that for the finale. I'm also surprised we didn't get a scene with Pod and Brienne, but I'm also guessing that they're saving something big for the finale for that arc, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

Sansa's last scene in 4x08 seemed to tie off her arc neatly, but I assume we'll get to "check in" with her in 4x10.

Edited by Newstar

Winterfell has been in the opening sequence of this season and the last one and we haven't seen it in two seasons.

Yeah, because Winterfell is the core of the story, in a way: it needs to be always held in our hearts (!?). That's why I was saying that Braavos was getting too much feature, even early in the story, with the whole Stannis and the IB plot, for the season to end without our main window to the city (Arya PoV) sailing there.

Saw it tonight though, it's usually burning or smoking in the opener isn't it, since Theon's capture?

Yeah it was but it's obviously been rebuilt. The opening sequence often bears little relation to where the episode is actually going to take place, Dragonstone has been in it several times when no time is actually spent on the island in the episode.

Edited by NightStark

Agreed with this.

Good episode overall, i respected their changes and what they went for.

What really sucked was that they haven't had a good Mountain character since the first season. This guy wasn't even tall, couldn't act at all, and really made for an anti-climactic fight. At the finish he was way too unhurt-seeming, and throughout he completely lacked menace. Pedro was ok, though. Not sure why Jaime was smiling to much.

the actor playing the Mountain now is 7'2"

Let's try 6'9, not small still, but he doesn't, how do I say, really convey his size.

This guy has the right build though, they could have stuck with Ian Whyte and had Gregor at the right height but he would have been built like a whippet.

This lad is 100 pounds heavier than Conan Stevens even though he's slightly shorter, he's much more powerful looking.

Edited by NightStark