[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

What do we say to death? Not todaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!

Yeah they could have put some makeup on Gregor to make him look a bit crazier, and his face more weathered. Selling the wounds and fatigue as he got on top of Oberyn would have made it perfect. It's not like he didn't have time to trudge around because he knocked Oberyn silly with that punch. Ka-kun ka-kun ka-kun.

Edited by Vegeta_Greyjoy

Beetle speech was a metaphor for the Gods undiscriminately killing people because they can. That there is no order to the killing, there is just killing. Also that we'll never understand the intentions or order the Gods see fit for a person to die.

I quite enjoyed the beetle monologue. It was just too long, especially when most people would've preferred more tyrion/oberyn time or more fighting time. I don't think Tyrion hated his cousin, as he said, making fun of him made him feel normal it was just an attempt to inject humour into the scene.

I actually really like the grey worm/ missandei romance that is developing. but again they spent too much time on it!

That's a good interpretation for the beetle scene. While I was watching it I kept on thinking it was a metaphor for power and control or the lack there of. O (the cousin, I can't remember his name) only had power over those beetles, so he destroyed because he could and because it was probably one of the few things he had control over (even if he couldn't intellectualize it).

Lol, take it easy why don't you.

I wasn't THAT impressed by the beetle monologue. I understand why they did it, but don't really buy it. Subtext and all, it didn't fit where it was placed and I can't see how it is be important either. Plus... it wasn't that well written either. I think Peter Dinklage more or less saved it with his performance.

I think they could have cut it and placed another scene there instead. Like maybe the fight between The Hound and the knights of the Gate. It would make much more sense to place it there instead of early in episode 10.

Well, the Unsullied are wondering if this is one of the last times they get to see Tyrion so why not linger on his vulnerability and philosophical nature?

That's a good interpretation for the beetle scene. While I was watching it I kept on thinking it was a metaphor for power and control or the lack there of. O (the cousin, I can't remember his name) only had power over those beetles, so he destroyed because he could and because it was probably one of the few things he had control over (even if he couldn't intellectualize it).

Cousin is Olson i believe. Yeh i agree with your assessment as well. At first i thought it was a metaphor for tywin, but it had a deeper meaning. Represents the chaos of life. I also liked the fact that tyrion tried to understand it. Theres that famous saying, "it's like an ant trying to understand the inner workings of the human brain" (can't remember exact quote). it also reminded me of that hemingway book, A Farewll to Arms, the quote about burning ants.

I liked the Sansa changes and think they may mirror what happens in the book, possibly. Revealing herself is still the ace she has left though it will play out differently with other characters there. LF looked really dangerous when he asked Sansa if she thought she knew him, and that reminded us that frankly we have no idea what he really plans. There's no way he's been square with Sansa or anyone he's revealed his motivations to in the book or the show. The Arya reveal will lead to nothing. Could have done with longer wall scene. Liked Dany, didn't mind the Grey Worm stuff. Jaime and Tyrion is always good, but I too would rather have Dorne and the Martell kids and Myrcella mentioned. Liked the trial, comments about promising not to die aside, Oberyn really looked like he was going to win and the Mountain was good. We are going off the book plot and I can see big differences in the next season but I also think the overall ending will change so I'm not too fussed. The things they are missing I'm guessing they will try and shove into next season which will be clumsy but is their MO. Some plot holes they've made for themselves but the acting rescues this and the odd sequential order of the episode, because everyone smashed their roles out of the park this week and the new stuff is hit and miss but entertaining at least. I was really happy with Sophie, Gillen, Pedro and Alfie in particular

One of the best things about this episode is I don't have to read all the moronic theories anymore about how Bronn will replace Oberyn and how Oberyn will actually live

Bronn said that last week he wasn't going to do it. Was he gonna have a change of heart?

Edited by Tall Tyrion Lannister!

Oh and I loved, absolutely loved, Oberyn demanding that Gregor confirm Tywin gave the order and the look of deep concern on Tywin's face as he realised that Oberyn would NOT end at Gregor. Could have done with "your father may not live forever" and a mention of why it how much Oberyn dying could backfire for the Lanniaters but the latter could happen in episode 10

Oh and I loved, absolutely loved, Oberyn demanding that Gregor confirm Tywin gave the order and the look of deep concern on Tywin's face as he realised that Oberyn would NOT end at Gregor. Could have done with "your father may not live forever" and a mention of why it how much Oberyn dying could backfire for the Lanniaters but the latter could happen in episode 10

I'm now more convinced they will keep the poisoning theory in the show :)

His poisoning the Mountain is in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3vgeMijCc (8:54), so wouldn't be hard to extrapolate. I really hope it's included.

I would think it has to be...however the omission of the 'your father won't live forever' or whatever hte book line was may mean that the Tywin being poisoned is wrong. who can say though.