[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

I can't remember--have they laid the groundwork for Oberyn being a poisoner in the show?

I don't think so. They could not say enough about him being a man whore who goes both ways but I can't recall him being a notable poisoner. I also found it weird he used two spears. I guess he could have poisoned both but that sort of bothered me.

The beetle talk was about many things but largely I think asking Jaime's question- why is the world so full of injustice? Why do the gods harm the innocent? And why me (Tyrion), why am I getting so fucked over?!

Too bad they didn't just say this.^^

I don't think so. They could not say enough about him being a man whore who goes both ways but I can't recall him being a notable poisoner. I also found it weird he used two spears. I guess he could have poisoned both but that sort of bothered me.

He used 2 spears? Thought he just used the end of the one that got broken...

His time learning poisons in teh citadel is mentioned by Tywin who asks if he was advising Tyrion on how to poison the King

I meant Tywin :)

I know, I meant that because they're going to definitely establish him as having poisoned The Mountain, it won't be difficult to extrapolate that to another target (Tywin). But it could be something cut, sadly. E10 is already going to be packed.

Honestly, did we need to hear 3 mins of that beetle story. And why the Missandei/Greyworm subplot? Is there a purpose to that?

I took the beetle story as Tyrion basically coming to a realization that no matter how clever he is, there are somethings that you just won't figure out/talk your way out of/think your way out of. He sounded resigned to his fate. He spoke of spending inordinate amounts of time watching, studying, following,questioning Orson, but never knew why? It consumed him and he even says (paraphrase) someone as smart as me should be able to figure out the machinations of a halfwit(unparaphrase). At the end of the story, he doesn't know anymore than he did before his obsession....but he's ok with that. Maybe he was starting to be OK with his fate.

(spoiler?)The Grey Worm Missandei stuff is easier to jibe with than random scenes featuring unknown unsullied creeping into P houses for whatever it is they crave. We just got a scene of one of Dany's closest counselors being exiled for betrayal. Unsullied would lose their shit if we got random cutaway scenes with unsullied soldiers going off to meet unknown people in unknown places. This way you're kinda sympathizing with two well liked characters and their affection for each other. They even have Dany put the breaks on it asking about what parts he has....just to get you thinking about the "how/why" of Grey Worm's attraction. I really liked the interaction b/w GW and M. GW being thankful he was cut, b/c if not he ultimately never would have met M had my wife and her homegirls getting misty.

He used 2 spears? Thought he just used the end of the one that got broken...

His time learning poisons in teh citadel is mentioned by Tywin who asks if he was advising Tyrion on how to poison the King

I thought he broke the first one and then had another tossed to him by some guy on the sidelines.

Its nice they managed to sneak in some poison talk in the middle of the "Oberyn likes a lot of sex" scenes. Did they do the Yronwood duel story?

Edited by Batman

I thought he broke the first one and then had another tossed to him by some guy on the sidelines.

Its nice they managed to sneak in some poison talk in the middle of the "Oberyn likes a lot of sex" scenes. Did they do the Yronwood duel story?

No I think they will drop that story, which is a shame as it could easily have been dropped in before the duel as a poison hint and a "this guy is dangerous" hint and it provides a backdrop to Quentyn's fostering. But I imagine that is dropped

No mention of Euron or Victarion.

I know. There's nothing in the books that Euron does that a living Balon couldn't also do. And with Daario buying Dany 93 ships "because I heard you liked ships" there might not be a reason for Victarion to join the story. Throw on top of that that Asha/Yara already tried to rescue Theon and there's no need for a Kingsmoot. I think D&D have decided to cut the whole Greyjoy storyline. I hope I'm wrong because Euron's one of my favorite characters.

No I think they will drop that story, which is a shame as it could easily have been dropped in before the duel as a poison hint and a "this guy is dangerous" hint and it provides a backdrop to Quentyn's fostering. But I imagine that is dropped

I know people (a lot of women) love the brothel scenes, but it would have taken a minute to tell that story and set the character up as dangerous, notable poisoner better than Tywin talking about how he studied poisons. It also explains the name "The Red Viper".

I know. There's nothing in the books that Euron does that a living Balon couldn't also do. And with Daario buying Dany 93 ships "because I heard you liked ships" there might not be a reason for Victarion to join the story. Throw on top of that that Asha/Yara already tried to rescue Theon and there's no need for a Kingsmoot. I think D&D have decided to cut the whole Greyjoy storyline. I hope I'm wrong because Euron's one of my favorite characters.

I'd be surprised if the Greyjoys don't have significant plot impact in the future, so my guess is that we will have one, but not both. I would hate to think that both Euron and Vic POVs in the books would end up so meaningless they can be cut entirely.

His poisoning the Mountain is in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3vgeMijCc (8:54), so wouldn't be hard to extrapolate. I really hope it's included.

Thank you for posting that. I haven't been able to bear watching the show again, and I usually would have by now OnDemand, and therefore, I'd have seen the Inside the Episode by now, too. Thanks. I was concerned how much Inside the Epi would show (as I am not quite ready to rewatch it in it's entirety yet), luckily.....it didn't show much more than the leg pull and Ellaria's scream.