[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

I know. There's nothing in the books that Euron does that a living Balon couldn't also do. And with Daario buying Dany 93 ships "because I heard you liked ships" there might not be a reason for Victarion to join the story. Throw on top of that that Asha/Yara already tried to rescue Theon and there's no need for a Kingsmoot. I think D&D have decided to cut the whole Greyjoy storyline. I hope I'm wrong because Euron's one of my favorite characters.

You could be right, depending on what we see in the 6th novel. If Victarion takes on a main role in the future of the novels, then I think the Greyjoy storyline will still happen.

Thank you for posting that. I haven't been able to bear watching the show again, and I usually would have by now OnDemand, and therefore, I'd have seen the Inside the Episode by now, too. Thanks. I was concerned how much Inside the Epi would show (as I am not quite ready to rewatch it in it's entirety yet), luckily.....it didn't show much more than the leg pull and Ellaria's scream.

Yeah, that gore was horrifying. You might like this video too then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wasxw0n0MNI

It's showing them staging the fight and the choreography, but absolutely no graphic content.

Beetle speech was a metaphor for the Gods undiscriminately killing people because they can. That there is no order to the killing, there is just killing. Also that we'll never understand the intentions or order the Gods see fit for a person to die.

I quite enjoyed the beetle monologue. It was just too long, especially when most people would've preferred more tyrion/oberyn time or more fighting time. I don't think Tyrion hated his cousin, as he said, making fun of him made him feel normal it was just an attempt to inject humour into the scene.

I actually really like the grey worm/ missandei romance that is developing. but again they spent too much time on it!

That's exactly what I got. There are no discernible reasons that people die when and how they die. As i mentioned in another thread, if one were to stand in Hades, they'd see dead people as far as they eye could reach.

A condemnded man is pondering the meaning of life and death.

Yeah, that gore was horrifying. You might like this video too then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wasxw0n0MNI

It's showing them staging the fight and the choreography, but absolutely no graphic content.

I can usually take gore, somewhat, it's more so the outcome of the duel that has me not quite ready to watch it again, yet. On the gore point, I think it is good to leave some to the imagination. The SOUND the teeth made dropping was horrifying, but by the end of the scene, after the eye gauging....I think it started to become a bit unrealistic. Still, the effects were better than some of the previous seasons with the hacking people in half stuff. I think a good mixture of gore and imagination is best. Still, it's moreso the losing of Oberyn that I'm not ready to face, again. I'm still in awe how much Pedro Pascal's Oberyn has only multiplied my affection.

Besides, I'm sure a rewatch will bring extra bitching from me, LOL (beetles, I'm looking at you) as well as extra enjoyment, not to mention.....the sadness, LOL Thanks for the new link, too, though.

Could Jaime and Tyrion discussing 'Cousin murder' (and how there is no word for it) be a hint at Sansa killing Robin, or be involved in his death somehow?

Hmmmmmmmmm, good point or was it a shoutout to TVJaime's killing of Cousin Alton? Or both?

More Jaime killing one cousin already, and threatening Lancel soon, I'd say

That's what I was guessing. I was hoping they'd bring up "deicide" to set up Cersei killing to current High Septon (we know High Sparrow is coming), but there's still time for that.

Beetle speech was a metaphor for the Gods undiscriminately killing people because they can. That there is no order to the killing, there is just killing. Also that we'll never understand the intentions or order the Gods see fit for a person to die.

I quite enjoyed the beetle monologue. It was just too long, especially when most people would've preferred more tyrion/oberyn time or more fighting time. I don't think Tyrion hated his cousin, as he said, making fun of him made him feel normal it was just an attempt to inject humour into the scene.

I actually really like the grey worm/ missandei romance that is developing. but again they spent too much time on it!

That's exactly what I got. There are no discernible reasons that people die when and how they die. As i mentioned in another thread, if one were to stand in Hades, they'd see dead people as far as they eye could reach.

That and it speaks to the futility of attempting to discern reason within the chaotic. People die and there is no reason for it and you can waste your life searching for one.

That and it speaks to the futility of attempting to discern reason within the chaotic. People die and there is no reason for it and you can waste your life searching for one.

:agree: You have put it eloquently. Thats exactly what it meant. Tyrion spent time trying to figure out why Olson was smashing beetles- there was no reason, he was just intellectually disabled.

I personally loved the beetle scene - beautifully drawn, multilayered and suspenseful.

As for LFs foreshadowing I assumed:

* die at dinner - maybe LS killing Freys?

* die in bed - must be a certain whore in a certain Hand's bed

* die crouched over their chamber pot - well this one goes without saying :D

Really annoyingly I thought the cast and director and writers really got the characters this week, which worked so well, but then watching the inside the episode with D and D has pissed me off because their reading of every character and situation is way off what I think is right. Obviously I am probably more likely to be wrong but it really rankles especially as the performances and writing fit with what I feel teh characters are feeling

He sure did. I'm thinking that would have been something of a nightmare, logistically, though. It always sort of confused me in the books too--how's he pull Oberyn on top of him with that spear in the way?

In the books, if i remember correctly, he pulls out the spear and is going to finish the mountain with his own sword.

Hu!

What are you referring to? There was absolutely not crazy evil there.

Maybe it's just her delivery, I just think she seems a little unhinged-to-the-point-of-blindness at times. Couldn't help but think of the Mad King during that scene. I'll be re-watching tonight so I'll elaborate more later.

I'm not a Dany hater by the way... Just an observation.

Thought the duel was great. I was more emotionally effected by it than the Red Wedding for some reason. I guess because Oberyn just exudes confidence and then to have him scream so helplessly as his eyes were pushed in was such a 180.

Only thing I hated was the explosion of his head. It made the whole thing a bit comical in my opinion. I'm not super educated in physics, but does that even make sense scientifically? No matter how strong the Mountain was, would Oberyn's head fuckin blow up like that? Would have been much more chilling I think to just have his skull crack and be left all disfigured. I guess that probably would have been a lot tougher on the makeup department than just the pile of brain stew that they ended up leaving where his head was.

The poison line might be getting readers ready for the FM arc considering the FM we've seen so far mainly kill with poison. Just so the readers know that she's not opposed to killing with other methods and to get ready for her to use different ones.

I can usually take gore, somewhat, it's more so the outcome of the duel that has me not quite ready to watch it again, yet. On the gore point, I think it is good to leave some to the imagination. The SOUND the teeth made dropping was horrifying, but by the end of the scene, after the eye gauging....I think it started to become a bit unrealistic. Still, the effects were better than some of the previous seasons with the hacking people in half stuff. I think a good mixture of gore and imagination is best. Still, it's moreso the losing of Oberyn that I'm not ready to face, again. I'm still in awe how much Pedro Pascal's Oberyn has only multiplied my affection.

I was soooo glad they did it like the books and not "being chopped in half" as soooo many seemed soooooooooo sure off....or like all the people who were predicting that Oberyn would live....that i didnt even mind the gore because i was jumping up and down clapping and cheering....

only when it got to the end credits did i actually realize that shit....No more Predo Pascal :frown5:

definitely gonna be re-watching