[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

What do you mean? The ironborn were already in it, why would there be dead ironborn outside?

apologies, thought you meant after. Either those were Ironborn killed taking the castle or they were Bolton men killed trying to take the castle, most likely both.

Would someone be able to explain the point and moral of Tyrion's beetle story?

So many things. Mostly I think Tyrion was wondering why his father & sister wanted to crush him like Orson did those beetles, seemingly for no reason.

Edited by TheButcherCrow

the Grey Worm/Messandi relationship is a fabulous idea! both the actors are beautiful, both are terrific actors, the characters are great, they have a serious, real problem between them and the world around is about to get really chaotic.

And every minute they devote to in on screen is a minute taken away from something that actually happened in the books.

Really enjoyed this episode, and really pretty much the entire season. For me this has been the best season so far and there are still some huge scenes waiting to happen. Loved seeing Sansa come into her own and start to take control of her situation, to me this was what we will see from her in TWOW.

The Arya scene and her laughter to me was pretty accurate. She was basically cracking because everytime she thinks she is going to be ok something else happens. So for her to lose it seemed appropriate, now she can move on to the FM because she thinks everyone is dead except Jon.

And every minute they devote to in on screen is a minute taken away from something that actually happened in the books.

The show doesn't have to follow the book to the letter you know. Otherwise we can just go read the books again.

Missandei x GW might be an interesting thing to see and give more insight about Unsullied / Ghiscari stuff.

If we want to criticize the things D&D added out of their pocket, I'd rather go for the awful mess they did at the Wall this season. Or for the whole Yara saving Theon plotline.

I kinda felt it work as a metophor for the Gods crushing humans for no apparent reason, just like in the trial.

Also men capable of doing that/not even bothering with thinking about that extinguishing life

1) Tyrion isn't always nice; he made fun of a simpleton to fit in.

2) Tyrion can be overly obsessive.

3) Its an analogy, the gods are cruel and there's no meaning to when people die.

4) Its an analogy, GRRM is cruel and capriciously kills his characters.

5) its an analogy as above, but note that Tyrion doesn't kill the bug he picks up. Sometimes bugs (people) live, even if you don't expect it; foreshadowing his escape.

6) It shows how overwhelmed Tyrion and Jaime are by the current circumstances; talking about nonsense at 5am.

7) Its another reminder of how close Tyrion and Jaime are, and that Jaime is spending an awful lot of time in that cell; helping setup that Jaime will set him free.

The scene works on lots of levels, and I loved it.

I think the beetle scene is one that will be kinder on re-watch, though the teasing of the mentally handicapped wasn't in the best taste. It's about the futility of man and Tyrion's attempt to find meaning in this situation, which he can't. But it was long, politically incorrect, and we were all so antsy to get to the fight that it was probably not the best time for a completely off-script monologue.

Kind of goes against Tyrion's love for cripples, bastards, and broken things though.

see...when they added scenes for Tywin and Arya i wasnt happy at first cuz of your exact point....but it turned out okay...since then i've tried to keep a more open mind to additional stories/plots...but Grey Worm and Messandi...they are both soooo minor characters, time devoted to them just rubs me the wrong way...

something that took me a loooong time to get over was the missing scenes from the House of the Undying...i still haven't completely...but if something so amazing had to be cut, it annoys me to see these now...i'd rather have some flash backs or some added stuff with important characters

what was it Lady Olenna said...what happens when the decrepit bumps against the non-existent...are they trying to answer that question? not implying messandi is decrepit though in any way ;)

References to the past and future in this episode include:

"People die at their dinner tables. They die in their beds. They die squatting over their chamber pots."- Littlefinger.

Dinner table represents both the RW and the purple wedding. Beds refers to both Jon Arryn and Shae's death. And the last is obviously a reference to Tywin's demise.

"It's just a flea bite"-The Mountain. The same thing was said by Khal Drogo

"You learned this during your years in the fighting pits?"-Oberyn to Tyrion. Tyrion is in the fighting pits performing a mock joust with Penny in ADWD.

Pretty sure this is almost word for word what he said to Jon Snow in season 1.

Nice writing DnD.

Doesn't really have anything to do with their writing...if you think someone cant grow up (kids are nasty little shits to other kids...Tyrion laughing at him probably made him feel normal as an awkward child) and realize they were wrong...yet still be flawed enough to have a laugh about being a little shit...during the most uncomfortable moment in their life...

You guys think too much about things.

did anyone else think at the Theon/Moat Cailin scene that they were about to announce Balon Greyjoy died? duno why, but i remember feeling that the reveal was imminent!

I don't think they know yet. They said that the Ironborn were leaving the North in droves. My guess is that Balon is dead, only the Ironborn captains know about it right now, and we'll all find out later. Balon death won't be onscreen.

I don't think they know yet. They said that the Ironborn were leaving the North in droves. My guess is that Balon is dead, only the Ironborn captains know about it right now, and we'll all find out later. Balon death won't be onscreen.

with all the extra time they have, they could show Balon's death onscreen...brief glimpse of Faceless man maybe or Euron? Would be nice build up for Crow's eye and rest of Greyjoys next season