[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

did he poison his spear or not :stillsick: will we hear the mountain that rides scream or not

Apparently on HBO's website the "behind the episode" features make mention that the spears were coated with poison (and that's what actually was going on when he was "shining" that spear). However, they made no mention/nod to this in the show, which was a bit frustrating.

Although that one slice of the leg where he hamstrings the Mountain could plausibly have severed the Achilles tendon which would permanently wreck the Mountain, poison or no (I'm pretty sure Gregor never stands again after that cut).

Indria Varma delivered one of the All Time Great Horrified Screams btw. MAJOR kudos. That actually affected me more than the head asplode.

Some people are criticising Emilia's acting during this scene, but I thought it actually came across quite well. I can't remember the reaction in the books, but I thought Dany's loathing and her anger boiling beneath a somewhat cold exterior had a devastating effect. That's far more effective than shouting and screaming.

Agreed. Plus i really think she would have flubbed the hell out of a more emotional performance. Being more cold is probably a better mark.

Apparently on HBO's website the "behind the episode" features make mention that the spears were coated with poison (and that's what actually was going on when he was "shining" that spear). However, they made no mention/nod to this in the show, which was a bit frustrating.

Although that one slice of the leg where he hamstrings the Mountain could plausibly have severed the Achilles tendon which would permanently wreck the Mountain, poison or no (I'm pretty sure Gregor never stands again after that cut).

Indria Varma delivered one of the All Time Great Horrified Screams btw. MAJOR kudos. That actually affected me more than the head asplode.

Its so glorious in gif form...

http://37.media.tumblr.com/ad0533262dcf9d166e05c06bf086bafc/tumblr_n6iselo0Nz1qz72sno1_500.gif

I'm not even sure why they even tapped her for this role, that's about the only thing she has done all season long. Maybe they have some plans for her going forward, maybe she sort of plays the role of Tanea Merryweather, it wouldn't really make sense but she is a decent actress and it seems like a waste to give her such a secondary role.

yees I just saw that ! Daved bineoff mentions that the spear was poisoned !!

Indria`a scream`s gif will be so popular and used whenever something awful is happening !!

Edited by Loodvip

Since episode ten is actually going to cover significant events this year, I'm a little worried that there is going to be too much going on with episode 9 being exclusively focused on the wall.

The season finales in this show tend to be too much of a montage. Maybe they've gotten it right this year. It seems clear that the Theon/Ramsay/Roose thread has concluded for the season. Odds on Sansa's thread has also concluded.

So that leaves, Tyrion and Jaime, Tyrion and Varys, Tyrion and Shae, Tyrion and Tywin, Jon's election, Arya and the Hound, Brienne and Pod, Cersei and maybe Tommen. Tyrion's climax is obviously the big event, but Jon's election could be a time consuming event. Additionally, Arya's story does not seem to have progressed as far as one might think to this point. How are they going to fit the Hound's "death" and Arya's finding a ship in one episode without seeming abrupt given the bite hasn't noticeably affected the hound as of yet? On their review video Elio and Linda speculated that perhaps Arya would intersect with Brienne but that might make things more problematic- especially if there is to be no Stoneheart reveal this season.

I'm not even sure why they even tapped her for this role, that's about the only thing she has done all season long. Maybe they have some plans for her going forward, maybe she sort of plays the role of Tanea Merryweather, it wouldn't really make sense but she is a decent actress and it seems like a waste to give her such a secondary role.

Much as I like Indria, she was wasted in this role. I wish there would have been more of her and Oberyn.

So that leaves, Tyrion and Jaime, Tyrion and Varys, Tyrion and Shae, Tyrion and Tywin, Jon's election, Arya and the Hound, Brienne and Pod, Cersei and maybe Tommen. Tyrion's climax is obviously the big event, but Jon's election could be a time consuming event. Additionally, Arya's story does not seem to have progressed as far as one might think to this point. How are they going to fit the Hound's "death" and Arya's finding a ship in one episode without seeming abrupt given the bite hasn't noticeably affected the hound as of yet? On their review video Elio and Linda speculated that perhaps Arya would intersect with Brienne but that might make things more problematic- especially if there is to be no Stoneheart reveal this season.

+ Bran as the episode title is "The Children"

Good point on Ayra, not much time for that arc to wrap up, especially getting on the ship.

Nope. Definitely not. Exasperation. She's been in arms reach of salvation more times than she can count and the futility of her efforts just gobsmacked her.

Yes, because Arya's certainly not a well-developed character who could be laughing at a COMBINATION of factors in this scene, correct? Such as another dead relative, another dashing of the Hound's hopes for reward, another dead end overall? Naw, that's just too much to buy, right?

+ Bran as the episode title is "The Children"

Good point on Ayra, not much time for that arc to wrap up, especially getting on the ship.

Knew I forgot somebody and it's the most overtly linked to the title. It's a lot to be going on with. As long as they don't botch Tyrion and Jon I think I'll be content. But then Arya's ASOS arc has a definitive end, and I'm not sure that's going to work out regardless.

No what I meant was that he seems somewhat normal in these scenes, and not all that evil at all. He talks to Theon like they're best pals, with all the arm-round-the-shoulder and back-slaps.

He is completely unpredicatble -- being a sociopath doesn't mean that you can't play at being nice when you like.

Since episode ten is actually going to cover significant events this year, I'm a little worried that there is going to be too much going on with episode 9 being exclusively focused on the wall.

The season finales in this show tend to be too much of a montage. Maybe they've gotten it right this year. It seems clear that the Theon/Ramsay/Roose thread has concluded for the season. Odds on Sansa's thread has also concluded.

I used to believe that we'll see Jon's election in the finale, but it seems unlikely to me now. Esp with where Arya's story is, and the Cersei + someone conversations we haven't seen. So I reckon elections might be moved to premiere or early eps of season 5.

Yeah, they didn't mention the poison, but they'll definitely reveal it was poisoned in the 10th ep. They have to have a scene with Cersei, Qyburn, and the Mountain that screams. Otherwise, why have Qyburn in the first episode of the season and then never show him again?

I used to believe that we'll see Jon's election in the finale, but it seems unlikely to me now. Esp with where Arya's story is, and the Cersei + someone conversations we haven't seen. So I reckon elections might be moved to premiere or early eps of season 5.

I kinda agree. They essentially ended Sansa's and Theon's arcs this episode, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended Jon's arc next episode, too.

Edited by Asshat by the Shadow

Additionally, Arya's story does not seem to have progressed as far as one might think to this point. How are they going to fit the Hound's "death" and Arya's finding a ship in one episode without seeming abrupt given the bite hasn't noticeably affected the hound as of yet? On their review video Elio and Linda speculated that perhaps Arya would intersect with Brienne but that might make things more problematic- especially if there is to be no Stoneheart reveal this season.

Maybe the bite isn't what finishes him. Maybe in episode 10 they'll cut straight to a scene with Arya and the Hound running away from the Eyrie with the Hound having arrows in his back. That for me would be preferable to some fanfiction scenario where Brienne conveniently bumps into the two of them and either teams up with them against hill tribes or ends up fighting and mortally wounding the Hound.

Nothing makes a fantasy world seem tiny quite like the constant "random" coming together of notable characters.

I also think it's likely we will see Dany's storyline finish with her chaining her 'children' up, fits in well with the episode title.

I'm still hoping we will see Arya sail away at the end of the season, otherwise they are massively slowing her story arc down, while with Sansa they have now finished pretty much everything we have in the books :-/

Arya will sail away in episode 10. They have apparently cast a bravoosi ship captain.

I do think we will see Jon become LC. They have a knack for putting in filler scenes that go no where and wrapping up people's storylines in a few minutes. It can be done.

Maybe the season finale, "The Children" not only refer to the children of the forest, but the stark children as well. And then we'll see lady Stoneheart talk about her children.

She doesn't talk, although I'm told she remembers quite well.