[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

Yeah. Sansa's new arc was fine. I got it. Too fast, but…it is tv.

Although the raiding of Maleficent's closet to find a black dress and coming down the stairway Norma Desmond style was too campy and over the top. We got it during her Vale speech. The visual correspondence was too much.

So at the part where Theon (yes, Theon) said something like "you don't kno---"...

What was that about?

Like "you don't know what you're talking about"? or "you don't know what I've been through/he's capable of"? or something else?

Because I think he was just about to confess he's just a coward before the other guy stopped him.

So at the part where Theon (yes, Theon) said something like "you don't kno---"...

What was that about?

Like "you don't know what you're talking about"? or "you don't know what I've been through/he's capable of"? or something else?

Because I think he was just about to confess he's just a coward before the other guy stopped him.

The other guy asked if he was a woman (as in don't be a pussy of course I'm not surrendering, I'm Iron Born)

This in Reek's mind was referring to the loss of Little Theon and all but knocked him out of the Theon Persona

He was going you don't know, as in you don't know that it's been cut off do you

Great bit of Acting by Alfie

Edited by SynthFG

Arya will sail away in episode 10. They have apparently cast a bravoosi ship captain.

I do think we will see Jon become LC. They have a knack for putting in filler scenes that go no where and wrapping up people's storylines in a few minutes. It can be done.

There's no way even these writers are dumb enough to waste a couple episodes material like that. Ep 10 is going to be wall aftermath and Jon/Stannis dialogue at most. Maybe prisoners/Mannce scenes etc.

LC election is classic episode 4 material.

Edited by White Harbors Wrath

The other guy asked if he was a woman (as in don't be a pussy of course I'm not surrendering, I'm Iron Born)

This in Reek's mind was referring to the loss of Little Theon and all but knocked him out of the Theon Persona

He was going you don't know, as in you don't know that it's been cut off do you

Great bit of Acting by Alfie

Why would Reek care if it's cut off? So it was Theon speaking, worrying about his reputation.

My whole point is, Theon is not replaced by Reek, he's just a coward that would rather be humiliated and live like a rat, than fight and die an honorable death.

You don't know was referring to what ramsay would do to him if he failed.

So just a coward then. How about he fights and dies with his brethren in the keep? But I guess he had that poop bath and trash food and cage, and the constant fear and agony to look forward to if he succeeded!

Why would Reek care if it's cut off? So it was Theon speaking, worrying about his reputation.

My whole point is, Theon is not replaced by Reek, he's just a coward that would rather be humiliated and live like a rat, than fight and die an honorable death.

Reek does care tho

He spends a large amount of his chapters in DwD obsessing that nobody should see him naked, the thought of anyone finding out sends him into almost as much of a panic as the thought of Ramsay getting slicey

The Iron Born captain calling him a woman is clearly what sets him off and the rest is obviously referencing this part of his persona

Reek does care tho

He spends a large amount of his chapters in DwD obsessing that nobody should see him naked, the thought of anyone finding out sends him into almost as much of a panic as the thought of Ramsay getting slicey

The Iron Born captain calling him a woman is clearly what sets him off and the rest is obviously referencing this part of his persona

So he doesn't care he's covered in dog crap, but he cares about people not knowing what Ramsay did. That's the only part of Theon that is "alive".

I don't know what to make of that, it makes no sense to me.

So he doesn't care he's covered in dog crap, but he cares about people not knowing what Ramsay did. That's the only part of Theon that is "alive".

Yes

He's broken so expecting any form of consistency in his character is pointless,

but its clear from his chapters in Dance that his 2 prime motivations are shame about what's been done to him and fear of giving ramsay an excuse to do more

There's no way even these writers are dumb enough to waste a couple episodes material like that. Ep 10 is going to be wall aftermath and Jon/Stannis dialogue at most. Maybe prisoners/Mannce scenes etc.

I don't know about that. They seem to be moving things pretty fast, and LC election IS in ASOS. They'd want to wrap that up this season. All they have to do is mention of the LC elections in stannis/jon talk. Have a few scenes with Sam trying to convince people and then the election itself. They'll keep the rest of the jon/stannis/melisandre interaction for next season.

I haven't gone through the whole thread yet, but I saw a lot of hate or disinterest re: the Grey Worm/Missandei story line. So I just wanted to give it some love. I was actually concerned that aging Missandei up would mean she replaced Irri in the "Dany is sexually frustrated" plotline, which I was not looking forward to at all. Instead, they've given her and Grey Worm a sweet - though I guess it's bitter as well - and tentative romance that helps remind me that there's still moments of goodness to be have in the midst of the unrelenting tragedy. I know they're barely supporting characters and it might feel like a waste of time, but it's also such a rare thing to actually get the stories of the downtrodden on this show. The Game of Thrones isn't just about the highborns and their power struggles - everything they do affects the commoners. Of course, Missandei and Grey Worm's lives have been much more difficult than your average ASOIAF lowborns, as they've been slaves very nearly from birth. So to watch that they do with their newfound freedom and how they relate to the world that Dany is trying to build is really refreshing to me.

As for Sansa, well, I'm still of two minds about it. I'm happy to see her taking charge, and I'm thrilled that D&D definitely grasped how she's putting together all the lessons she's learned over her years of captivity. I'm mostly just concerned that they'll push too far with Sansa/Petyr - which is definitely not something I want to see - and also that they'll forgo Sansa's core of human decency in favor of flashy game-playing tactics. Not to mention that I was hoping that Alayne "revealing" herself to be Sansa in the books would be accompanied by Littlefinger's downfall, so now I'll have to wait for another course of action. I do love how she one-upped him, though. She could have him eating out of her hand and he knows it.

I think Sansa revealing herself in the books could still be linked to LF's downfall. And we are underestimating LF

What was that about?

Right before that part all the ironborn chanted the classic "What is dead may never die"-line.

As an ironborn Theon should know the rest by heart: "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

That probably almost snapped Reek back into Theon, which then of course made him almost break down when insults were being hurled at him about being a woman, having had his manhood taken from him and all.

Which led him to start saying "You don't know what I've been through..." etc.

The fact that he then magically "succeeded" in his mission didn't seem to make him very happy, because then he knew he had to deal with the aftermath of it again - going back to the Reek-person and Ramsey Sn... Bolton!

Edited by Omni

I don't know about that. They seem to be moving things pretty fast, and LC election IS in ASOS. They'd want to wrap that up this season. All they have to do is mention of the LC elections in stannis/jon talk. Have a few scenes with Sam trying to convince people and then the election itself. They'll keep the rest of the jon/stannis/melisandre interaction for next season.

Nah, I dont think they have the time for that in Ep 10. Remember they have to have : Tyrion /Jamie scene Tyrion/Tywin/Shae scene, Arya/Hound scene, Arya/Bravosi Captain, Bran/CoF. Bran / Bloodraven, a Brienne scene, a Dany /dead child scene and a dany /dragons scene

Also I'm betting we get a Cersei scene where they mention the Mountain being alive and the possible reaction of Dorne

Edited by King Zee

Nah, I dont think they have the time for that in Ep 10. Remember they have to have : Tyrion /Jamie scene Tyrion/Tywin/Shae scene, Arya/Hound scene, Arya/Bravosi Captain, Bran/CoF. Bran / Bloodraven, a Brienne scene

Also I'm betting we get a Cersei scene where they mention the Mountain being alive and the possible reaction of Dorne

They managed to finish Sansa's whole AFFC arc in like 10 minutes so...

Since episode ten is actually going to cover significant events this year, I'm a little worried that there is going to be too much going on with episode 9 being exclusively focused on the wall.

The season finales in this show tend to be too much of a montage. Maybe they've gotten it right this year. It seems clear that the Theon/Ramsay/Roose thread has concluded for the season. Odds on Sansa's thread has also concluded.

So that leaves, Tyrion and Jaime, Tyrion and Varys, Tyrion and Shae, Tyrion and Tywin, Jon's election, Arya and the Hound, Brienne and Pod, Cersei and maybe Tommen. Tyrion's climax is obviously the big event, but Jon's election could be a time consuming event. Additionally, Arya's story does not seem to have progressed as far as one might think to this point. How are they going to fit the Hound's "death" and Arya's finding a ship in one episode without seeming abrupt given the bite hasn't noticeably affected the hound as of yet? On their review video Elio and Linda speculated that perhaps Arya would intersect with Brienne but that might make things more problematic- especially if there is to be no Stoneheart reveal this season.

Stone heart will be in the episode

Yeah. Sansa's new arc was fine. I got it. Too fast, but…it is tv.

Although the raiding of Maleficent's closet to find a black dress and coming down the stairway Norma Desmond style was too campy and over the top. We got it during her Vale speech. The visual correspondence was too much.

She's learning lying.

The dress seemed more like a pwning of the Falcon with the feather epaulets.

agreed...i've said this myself (i think)....max that will happen ending of this season is Stannis offering Jon Winterfell by legitimizing him...rest will be handling the wildlings