[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

I...am a bit disappointed by the duel. I mean, it wasn't bad but it didn't capture the emotional depth of that scene the way the books did. Ellaria's scream sold it well enough but man, they missed a great opportunity. I'd give that fight a 7/10.

I liked the fight well enough. Tyrion's and Ellaria's reactions were great. I only missed Tyrion throwing up (only asoiaf fans would say something like this)

You know what else I liked? Arya just cracking up. That was golden.

Also...I liked Theon slipping into Reek almost subconciously. I miss the image of him taking off the Greyjoy banners and putting the Bolton one instead, that would have been a powerful image, I think

It boggles my mind how some people can complain about how the show lacks subtlety and subtext, but then can't understand the subtlety and subtext of the beetle scene.

So much this.

I took it as insight on how Tyrion realizes himself having a position of power. His cousin is analgous to some of the terrible nobility that have no regard for the people they rule over.

Even more important, I think Jaime listened intently and will use the story as a reflection on his past self and who he wants to become.

Not to mention the damn fine acting of Dinklage.

:agree:

This. Very poor episode all around.

Happy to see I'm not alone here -- my least favorite episode to date. I love the justifications I'm seeing here for the beetle scene as well, because using someone with a mental handicap as an analogy for the blind evils in the world somehow became synonymous with good writing...

On a positive note, the fight was accurate enough for me not to have any glaring complaints, regardless of how difficult it was to watch.

Happy to see I'm not alone here -- my least favorite episode to date. I love the justifications I'm seeing here for the beetle scene as well, because using someone with a mental handicap as an analogy for the blind evils in the world somehow became synonymous with good writing...

On a positive note, the fight was accurate enough for me not to have any glaring complaints, regardless of how difficult it was to watch.

That's pretty much how I feel. At least Dinklage's acting was on point during that shit of a monologue

I'm not terribly disappointed by the duel scene. I think it might have been improved if Gregor had some more lines. But I must confess that it isn't my favorite scene from the books since it's a display of abject stupidity that has the consequence only of spurring other characters from his region to more abject stupidity. So I didn't hype it up in my mind as much as many others have doubtless done.

I liked the fight well enough. Tyrion's and Ellaria's reactions were great. I only missed Tyrion throwing up (only asoiaf fans would say something like this)

You know what else I liked? Arya just cracking up. That was golden.

Also...I liked Theon slipping into Reek almost subconciously. I miss the image of him taking off the Greyjoy banners and putting the Bolton one instead, that would have been a powerful image, I think

This.

The earthquake is from the rioting of the unsullied.

For a moment, I though you meant the Unsullied soldiers realizing they now have dicks.

Of course, TV-Littlefinger is not, in my opinion, as smart as book-Littlefinger. TV-LF is the guy who spilled his guts regarding his youthful traumas and lifelong motivation to his prostitutes as they were practicing. But it is a departure; the real LF would have properly prepared Sansa/Alayne to give the testimony he wanted.

Agreed. After all, this is the guy who teased Cersei Lannister about twincest in season 2. Book-LF would never have been that dumb.

Maybe Grey Worm will discover Lightbringer, and have it melted down, and forged into into a Valyrian steel strap-on. :D

And I thought MY theories were crackpot! :)

Sansa states that Lysa did what her father commanded her and then she says as many of us have. What does that imply? Poor Ned never commanded her to do anything. Did anyone catch that line. Did she say that for effect?

Effect. She was playing the poor victim. Anya Waynwood (if not the others) were likely to be sympathetic to this point and it actually worked.

Indira Varma's reaction to Oberyn dying was fucking spectacular btw. She's just great!

She's fantastic! And she's been wasted in this show. I've said it before and will continue to say that I hope that they give her the Taena Merrywether role. Maybe if I say it often enough D&D will hear it....

I get real sad sometimes, I watch an episode like that, absolutely love it and then come on here and it's getting hate for no good reason.

Think of it like your mother, who loves you but criticizes everything about you. Or maybe that's only true for daughters!

Re Arya's id reveal at bloody gate? Are they setting up stage for fArya from next episode?

Mybe baelish gets info (not Sansa) & makes a deal with Cetsei (tywin dead) to provide someone from his brothel for Ramsay's bride. Afterall they're going to Winterfell. Maybe he will use that info as a leverage with Sansa somehow in future?

I voiced my dislike of this episode elsewhere and was accused of constantly complaining about the show not being like the book. Season four has been one of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen! I think that is what made tonight's episode even worse. I really thought it was shitty. Glimpses of interesting things capped off with one of the best fight scenes ever filmed...it just can't add up to a better-than-bad episode. I dunno, I just find people getting defensive and complaining about other people complaining very irritating (even if that's what I am doing.) Seeing almost every issue I had with the episode brought up independently at least helps me know I am not the only one. I am definitely not watching this show to complain about it failing to compare to (the admittedly much better) printed version. I watch it because it's a great show, but even great shows can have bad episodes. This show has easily had at least half a dozen bad episodes out of 38. That's still pretty good.

Edited by Kronz