[Book Spoilers] EP408 Discussion

Me too I couldn't look once he went for his eye balls

I don't like gore. I wish they'd be more subtle, sometimes it works best to leave it up to the imagination.

I don't like gore. I wish they'd be more subtle, sometimes it works best to leave it up to the imagination.

If they had left it subtle people would have been moaning that it wasn't as good as the book version.

The show can't win no matter what it does really. Any scene like this will receive three responses;

'It was exactly as I imagined it'

'It was more gruesome than I imagined it

'It wasn't as gruesome as I imagined it'

There will be people saying each of those about that scene, the show can't pander to everyone.

Edited by NightStark

If they had left it subtle people would have been moaning that it wasn't as good as the book version.

The show can't win no matter what it does really. Any scene like this will receive three responses;

'It was exactly as I imagined it'

'It was more gruesome than I imagined it

'It wasn't as gruesome as I imagined it'

There will be people saying each of those about that scene, the show can't pander to everyone.

It was a suggestion, I'm not really complaining. Overall, I was very pleased with the fight.

Viper vs Mountain was a great scene. I feel like it couldn't of been done any better. Hearing Oberyn scream when he is normally very confident was alarming.

Not a fan of the Grey Worm/Missandei bit. It just seems unnecessary and a waste of time.

Jorah's departure finally arrived. Weird to think that him and Tyrion will be paired up shortly.

I liked the Ramsay scene where Roose declares him a Bolton.

Happy to see Grenn, Pyp, and Edd. I feel like they're underrated.

Lots of negativity in this thread. It always amuses me when people moan about scenes whilst they're on (i.e. the beetles). You could actually watch them through, listen to the dialogue, and then compose your thoughts, rather than just splurging out 'lol b0ring giv me obryn brain'...

I liked the episode overall, lots of strong scenes. The Ramsey/Roose stuff was great, I thought, and the trial itself was fantastic. I enjoyed the Missandei-Grey Worm part, nice to see that they're making some effort to flesh out those two characters along with Daario and I think it's working at the moment. The chemistry is there, and I like the actor playing Grey Worm... he seems very sincere. The Jorah scene - part of me wonders if Clarke is one of the actors who knows some stuff about her character's future and, as a result, is playing up the crazy evil queen stuff more than we see in the books... Perhaps a turn from good to bad for Dany?

The stuff with the Stark girls... I'm usually okay with changes from book to screen, because it doesn't (for me, usually) diminish the source material and it's not as if the books will stop existing after the episode. As long as the atmosphere, tone, and the thematic intent stay the same, it doesn't really matter to me the exact date of Ramsey's legitimization or the order of events in Slaver's Bay. I think there might be a problem in the Stark girls outright identifying themselves as such in that it really conflicts with the gritty realism that Martin creates and that the show has tried to emulate. Surely they, or their guardians, see the risk in doing such a thing? It doesn't sit will with the tone of the original, for me. I think it works better for Sansa than with Arya, though... at least she seemed to 'come out' to three nobles bound to her family.

The transformation of Sansa is not such a big issue, in my opinion. She has spent a long time watching some of the masters of the Game; Littlefinger, Margary, the Queen of Thorns, Tyrion, Cersei (who, at least in the show, I guess isn't quite as batshit or inept before we get a POV)... It makes sense that she's learn tricks after that much observation, and she wouldn't have the chance to showcase them without letting her shield down, which she obviously was not prepared to do in King's Landing. I think it's interesting that we're getting Sansa progression and in such a rapid manner; she's been static for such a long time.

I knew it was coming and was still crushed! No pun intended.

Is the vampy Sansa from Winds or are they just rewriting her?

Seriously, if Hound and Arya run into LF and Sansa, I'm going to turn the tv off.

There are elements in this season which makes me believe that Benioff did not use only the begining of AFFC and ADWD and the last half of ASOS to make the show, they gave us some of WOW

well it was pretty much gore in the book as well. But this was a bit extreme... I think it did need to be done but I just wasn't gonna look I have the hubby for that he looked and even he said it was ack.

Lots of negativity in this thread. It always amuses me when people moan about scenes whilst they're on (i.e. the beetles). You could actually watch them through, listen to the dialogue, and then compose your thoughts, rather than just splurging out 'lol b0ring giv me obryn brain'...

I liked the episode overall, lots of strong scenes. The Ramsey/Roose stuff was great, I thought, and the trial itself was fantastic. I enjoyed the Missandei-Grey Worm part, nice to see that they're making some effort to flesh out those two characters along with Daario and I think it's working at the moment. The chemistry is there, and I like the actor playing Grey Worm... he seems very sincere. The Jorah scene - part of me wonders if Clarke is one of the actors who knows some stuff about her character's future and, as a result, is playing up the crazy evil queen stuff more than we see in the books... Perhaps a turn from good to bad for Dany?

Hu!

What are you referring to? There was absolutely not crazy evil there.

OMG what a change..... not sure I like this... She is still going to protect him.......

Not protect, USE him. Sansa comes into her own without strum & drang of Books. I like it. Fits with older Sansa taking charge & more like her Mom--- without the " kill everyone" bent. Don't think Arya and Hound are getting in. Another Stark family near miss. Also San San reunion missed.

Oh we just had 4.0 EarthQuake in Los Angeles as I was typing this

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

She has a pic of a heart made of stones with the caption.. 'My stone heart'

Would you happen to have a link to this? i would like to see it. Thanks.

The ending was well done. I knew it was coming, but DAMN I hated to see my boy go out like that. My GF was almost in tears.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Amen. To. That. I'm just glad that I knew when to turn my head away. :fencing:

Edited by Raksha 2014

I wondered why the Hound's wound hadn't festered yet. Now I know why.

Oh, I think it is going to happen. I commented earlier in the thread. I think, the way this season and the writing is going, that the Hound and Sansa at least get a glimpse of each other. So probably ep. 9 and then they leave the Vale and he collapses on the road and she does leave him under the tree.

And he feels even worse because he was so close to his bird.

Not sure if Arya and Hound get a glimpse of LF or SW. Also, not sure if Sansa sees Arya and Hound. Might be one-sided. But it would fit with the whole Sansa id revealed early. Or, Arya and the Hound find out it is her there, never see her, but are thwarted TRYING to get to Sansa. Meaning, stuff doesn't go their way AGAIN and as usual, and they leave the Vale.

Edited by booknerd2