How would you rate episode 408?

How would you rate episode 408?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Did you even read what I wrote??? I specifically outlined my reasoning behind that statement. You clearly are getting worked up over someone having a different opinion. Don't worry though, I'm done with this thread and trying to explain my arguments. Clearly it's causing too much angst.

Try being less "ME ME ME" and more constructive next time. Im not saying its not ok to dislike something in the show. But acting elitist about it is really awful. A special kind of awful. ground_control's post was more constructive and less whiny and an even worse opinion on the episode. This fandom's really got issues beyond the "Unpleasable" part.

9/10

Only weakness being the bizarre beetle scene and the second Grey Worm scene. The latter was worth it for the previous river scene and the view of Missandei. Wow! Never expected her to be so well put together.

I'm a fan of Roose and a hater of Ramsay, but I'll admit their scene gave me a little bit of the feels. Iwan Rheon does a great job.

7/10

On one hand, Graves' approach was superior to his previous episodes this season. I was actually surprised by the near 3-minute single take at Mole's Town. But then that whole sequence was rather good. The episode also had scale, which is often hit-or-miss with this show. The Moat Calin stuff felt rushed, the Iron Born flaying felt more comical in its pacing than grotesque. But I enjoyed the legitimizing of Ramsay - to Winterfell!

I do like Sansa being a more active participant in the Vale politics, but her "darkening" reveal seemed really ham-fisted. Jorah's banishment was a massive disappointment - the way Graves filmed it, the lack of passion in the performances. The Arya/Hound scene was just weird. I mean, are they going to tell them Arya Stark turned up or what? Will episode 10 have them just appear out of the Vale, as if last episode never happened? Why the hell was she laughing?

The duel was OK. The editing ranged from OK in parts to a mess at other times. I didn't find it particularly exciting. Again, really subdued reactions from Graves.

Nope, even when some people offer valid reasons for not liking a scene, they get shut down and attacked by those that love the scene. Accusations of "nitpicking" and "book-purist" are almost definitely gonna get thrown around. I could outline a very long and detailed essay of why I disliked this episode, but what would that achieve apart from offending the sensitive people here that can't accept someone else's opinion?

The hyperbole exists on both sides. The 'con' faction are just too much. It's clear valid reasons was pointed out by myself and others in this convo as being welcome. Just not nonsense, so...

Sorry for my shitty grammar.

Edited by Jon Black

The Moat Calin stuff felt rushed, the Iron Born flaying felt more comical in its pacing than grotesque.

I loved the look of Moat Cailin but the lack of explanation of why those guys are all sick was a wee bit of a letdown despite knowing theres crannogmen in there. Yeah that flayed guy, i was more like *snort* than "ewww." I think it was the shot. It felt like a comedic beat and likely that was the intent.

If GoT Season 4 Episode 8 gets a 1/10 what on earth does The Walking Dead get?

I gave this episode a '1', but I couldn't tell you what The Walking Dead would get because I've never seen it (and haven't really ever heard of it). As I said in a reply to another post, I rate the show against other things I watch. I can't really rate it against things I haven't seen.

And True Detective gets a solid 10 from me, but remember it was a single eight-episode original story, not a thirty-eight (so far) episode adaptation of an in-progress series of books renewed/cast/funded in 10 episode blocks, so it was created in a much more controlled environment.

I wonder what TV shows people are watching that are so great that they think GoT warrants such low scores. I sincerely hope it's all True Detective caliber shows.

Hannibal ... the best show on T.V at the moment.

Edited by D-A-C

Gave it a 8/10 after first watch.

Things that lowered the score:

Moat Cailin was great with Theons acting etc..but it felt little too rushed. You have all these sick and dying ironborn so why don't you drop a mention of bog devils and such and flesh it out a little more?

Grey worm and Missandei - I just do not care about them. I might understand why they put the scene in and they acted it well, it's just that I always end up thinking: you're wasting time on this, I want to see more of the actual plot. Plus, really, they are just not that interesting to me.

Beetle story - I am still trying to understand what the hell was that all about. Sure, they wanted to convey something, but hearing Tyrion making fun of a mentally handicapped person was awful to me. And it took too long, far too long. I kept looking at the clock and wishing for him to shut up so we can get to the duel.

The duel - was fantastic, only complaint is it should have been like 2 minutes longer. It felt a little rushed. I wanted more reaction shots from everyone.

Otherwise I loved Sansa scenes, Roose and Ramsay (shot of Winterfell, yay :drunk: ), Aryas laugh, even the Wall. Meereen was good.

On the topic of ratings, I, too do not understand how some people just outright hate it, giving it a 1-4 ratings. I lurk on this site for over 3 years and those people were bitching back in season 2 (which was much worse that season 4), threatening to stop watching, yet they are still here. I have only one question for them: Why are you still watching if you think it's crap and travesty and whatnot? :dunno:

If GoT Season 4 Episode 8 gets a 1/10 what on earth does The Walking Dead get?

It would get nothing from me, I don't watch shit like The Walking Dead. Even so I gave this ep a very generous 7.

Gave it a 8/10 after first watch.

Things that lowered the score:

Moat Cailin was great with Theons acting etc..but it felt little too rushed. You have all these sick and dying ironborn so why don't you drop a mention of bog devils and such and flesh it out a little more?

Grey worm and Missandei - I just do not care about them. I might understand why they put the scene in and they acted it well, it's just that I always end up thinking: you're wasting time on this, I want to see more of the actual plot. Plus, really, they are just not that interesting to me.

Beetle story - I am still trying to understand what the hell was that all about. Sure, they wanted to convey something, but hearing Tyrion making fun of a mentally handicapped person was awful to me. And it took too long, far too long. I kept looking at the clock and wishing for him to shut up so we can get to the duel.

The duel - was fantastic, only complaint is it should have been like 2 minutes longer. It felt a little rushed. I wanted more reaction shots from everyone.

Otherwise I loved Sansa scenes, Roose and Ramsay (shot of Winterfell, yay :drunk: ), Aryas laugh, even the Wall. Meereen was good.

On the topic of ratings, I, too do not understand how some people just outright hate it, giving it a 1-4 ratings. I lurk on this site for over 3 years and those people were bitching back in season 2 (which was much worse that season 4), threatening to stop watching, yet they are still here. I have only one question for them: Why are you still watching if you think it's crap and travesty and whatnot? :dunno:

I can get behind why peeps are all "meh" at Grey Worm and Missandei. They are trying to flesh out supporting characters and pickings are slim. I want to see more Hizdahr but its too soon...

bolded, cheers. :cheers:

Ya know...

I bet if True Detective was written by GRRM and you knew exactly what was gonna happen every episode you wouldn't give it a 10

Hey come on, ground_control isnt being a dick about it. He can have his 1.

I bet if True Detective was written by GRRM and you knew exactly what was gonna happen every episode you wouldn't give it a 10

Huh? I quite clearly said that it's easier for True Detective to get 10s (from me at least), and the fact that it was an original story and not an adaptation was one of the reasons i cited. And by that, I'm not putting down the show for being an adaptation, but I was trying to be fair and call out the fact that it's impossible to avoid comparing the show to the books if you've read the books.

I don't want the show to be the video equivalent of an audio book, so I do expect some changes. Some I've liked, some I haven't. And if a scene doesn't work for me, I can't pretend there isn't another version and not compare the two. But I try to minimize complaints about changes just because they were changes -- for example, I hated the "your sister" change from "only Cat" last episode, and even called it out, but I admitted that that was a personal preference and didn't lower my rating of the episode because of it.

Edited by ground_control

for example, I hated the "your sister" change from "only Cat" last episode, and even called it out,

Most of us didnt like that too much. Even i was like "dude." Dont worry, mang, you arent being an arse about your low opinion of the show. In fact, you are proving how being constructive has more merit.