How would you rate episode 408?

How would you rate episode 408?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave another 10 for the duel alone. It was the one scene I've most looked forward to this season. It's been years since I read ASOS, but I thought it was well done and followed the book for the most part, minus the Mountain hacking up the front row with wild swings. I am sad to see Oberyn go. Pascal did an amazing job bringing the Red Viper to life. By far my favorite character this season. I echo others' disappointment with his nickname being left out, but hopefully they follow the books and include the poison's effects later on in the storyline.

I can understand the disappointment with the Grey Worm/Missandei storyline from a purist's standpoint. Although, I didn't pickup sexual tension between them, rather a feeling of love from Grey Worm. Love for someone who treats him as a person and not just a killer/warrior. As far as Grey Worm admiring her naked, you don't have to have your meat and two veg to admire beauty. They are going to have to add some filler to replace things left out from the books(not necessarily a good thing) for the obvious fact that they are catching up to George and his writing. Just go with it and learn to separate the books from the show. Life sucks if you let everything disappoint you.

The Jorah dismissal was serviceable, but seemed a bit rushed.

The beetles dialogue is another dilemma for book purists. Very fitting for the show, but not the books. In one instance, it shows the senselessness in most instances of killing and tries to justify or reason why they wage war and kill. In the end, even a simpleton has the basal instinct to kill and destroy. It's human nature and defies reason. In another instance, it highlights the truisms and oddities of what comes to mind when one is faced with imminent death.

I thought the Eyrie was well done. Well acted. I especially loved the double entendre between Sansa and Baelish. "I know what you want." 1. He wants her. 2. He wants her to marry Robin and he can control the Eyrie as an advisor, as well as gain its protections from King's Landing. Perv time...Sansa(Sophie) looked smoking hot in the black dress in her last scene.. Yowza! Arya and the Hound was a bit of a left turn from the books, but you can definitely tell his wound is starting to fester. I did like Arya's hysterical laugh when, once again, the Hound misses his payday.

Mole's Town and the Wall...meh. Not bad, not great.

Tyrion specifically uses his nickname and wonders how he got it. Episode 10, Gregor (and let's hope Tywin) is gonna find out

I thought it was a damn good fight scene, could have been 2 mins longer

I re-read the duel on Saturday to get it fresh in my mind and I was a bit surprised by how short it was. For some reason over time in my head it was nearly an entire chapter. So I wasn't really surprised by the length or even really consider it to be too short. For an adaptation I thought they completely nailed it.

And there was definitely poison on his spear, for those worrying about it. David Benioff said so in the Inside the Episode.

Apparently the squire rubbing down the spear with a cloth should have looked at the camera and said "Poison" while nodding to his work. :cool4:

Or they could have, you know, done it like book and have Tyrion warned not to touch the blade?

In the show everyone could clearly hear everything everyone else in the Arena was saying. If Oberyn had done that, I'd be asking why the hell Tywin let him fight with a spear he just admitted was poisoned to teh huge audience around him

This is rather fascinating, the episode has been extremely well received by both critics and fans everywhere except for this forum.

As for me, I gave it an 8 out of 10. All great stuff, except for the Grey Work/Missandre romance. Where the fuck are they going with that? The duel was superb, but I really missed Oberyn's line "You will say her name before the end, or I'll haunt you through all seven hells".

EDIT: The beetle speech from Tyrion also felt way overdrawn and protracted when I first saw it, but on second thoughts maybe it had a metaphorical meaning that I was unable to grasp on my first watch.

Edited by The Monkey

I liked this episode very much, this is why I rated it with 9/10. There are several scenes I adored and, overall, I believe the episode was very well made. Even though the beginning is, perhaps, a little boring (compared to our possible expectations: to be read ”fight in the first seconds of the episode, please!”), I do think that every unsatisfactory sentiment towards the matter has been erased at the end of the episode. Oh, and what an ending!

I thought in the beginning that I wasn't going to find out anything about prince Oberyn in this episode, and was disappointed because of it -however, I was glad to find out in the end that the episode WAS still about the fight between Oberyn and Clegane, the Mountain. After seeing their fight and finishing the episode, I concluded more or less happily that this was a splendid episode.

Now, let's explain why I liked the episode.

First and foremost, I loved the fight - the duel between Clegane and Oberyn. I expected to see/watch something quite overwhelming, and the show didn't disappoint me in that. I found myself hating the author, hating the show, hating everything after Oberyn's death (as I kept him as a very dear character, and liked him very much, hoped he wouldn't die). After recollecting myself, I realised I loved everything about it: it was so well made. I liked Oberyn's show before the duel, I loved the way he duelled, even though his death would have been avoided if he wasn't so arrogant, so conceited (but, hey, that's the thing I liked about him in the first place, besides his handsomeness and accent). The Mountain played his role flawlessly, the beast, the killing machine, the mad man - compared to Oberyn, he was indeed a horrible beast (the contrast was amazing). I liked the way they fought and I would love to re-watch it, but I am afraid the disturbing way in which Oberyn died is too much for my heart. It was stupendous (stupendous is such a freaky word, I just think the fight was exciting, even though I felt extremely sad after Oberyn's death *sob/sob*)

Cersei's smile, claiming her victory with a perfect expression. I dislike Cersei - I always have, but what I must say is that the character in itself deems, sometimes, some sort of peculiar respect. She is a strong character, maleficent, ugly, yet she doesn't fail in shinning and getting whatever she wants. This time, as well, we could all see her triumphant smile, glad the Mountain killed Oberyn, glad she would finally see the IMP die. I really, really dislike Cersei (and like Tyrion, as a matter of fact), but I have to admit that I loved (and hated) that smile -it was just realistic and it pointed out perfectly Cersei's character, desires, plans, etc. It was a very good moment, I believe.

Arya Stark's laugh was... insanely refreshing, somehow. I loved the way she laughed - I wondered whether she laughed at the irony of her life (everyone is dying, look, the aunt died as well, isn't it funny?) It was refreshing in an insane way because it could not possibly be positively refreshing: i wonder if she wanted to take it as a joke. I am curious about the next episode regarding her outcome ( I really don't want her to end up ”under” Baelish's ”wing”). However, even though Arya's appearance was too poor in this episode, because of her few appearances, she played her part flawlessly (as far as I am concerned, she is one of my favourite characters, but I am afraid to confess, we just know how the author kills everyone).

Sansa's comeback, or should I say ”Sansa's re-invention”. I am not sure about this, though I liked how she started to lie about Lysa's death - don't like either of them, so I didn't really care about it, but it is a nice turn of events and I am curious about how rotten Sansa can become (I have huge expectations with regard to this matter -maybe if she becomes rotten enough -and overcomes her stupidity- maybe then she will be at least interesting, and not only annoying). I liked the way she lied, yes, because for the first time in her life, she didn't bore me or plainly annoyed me. Period

Ser Jorah's dismissal and prince Oberyn's death were the saddest and best moments of this episode, as far as I am concerned. I like Jorah and don't want him to leave Khaleesi's side -but I guess he has to, and I really wonder what he is going to do. I loved the scene because he had very nice expressions, and Dani was so bitchy with him that the entire moment was worth it. What can I say, I felt like crying then because I presumed Jorah would get either killed, either pardoned and ignored - but no, even worse than that, he was dismissed to return to his ”masters”, to King's Landing. Somehow, I thought this to be much more tragic than getting killed or ignored. I am already missing him - I think it was a very important detail in this episode.

Ramsay Snow becomes Ramsay Bolton, isn't that something we should be celebrating? I like this character's twisted mind (and expressions) and, overall, I believe he does a very good role. I like him, therefore I like the moments in which he appears - it was somehow interesting to be given the name of his father (finally!) - the moment wasn't so important, I suppose, but I do think that some important things might come out of this. I think this is one of the moment when we fully understand his character and his power of driving others mad (look at poor Reek, past Theon Greyjoy, a toy in a Snow's hands... isn't he the little, twisted fellow?). It wasn't much compared to other episodes, but I think it was an important moment.

(and AGAIN the Mountain killing Oberyn - one of the most disturbing scenes in the entire series (I was... overwhelmed).

Petyr Baelish hadn't had any interesting scenes in this episode -I like him because of the... complexity and simplicity of his character, he is a moron, and I am really looking forward to his death (which I don't think will come any time soon - I am not reading the books, it is just a mere wish one has. He has such a nice face, it would look good on a spike). I also want to see how Robin is going to ”evolve”. I have my presuppositions regarding his fate, but I will keep any other comments for myself for the being moment.

John Snow didn't appear much in this episode and I wasn't moved by Sam's sentimentalism. What moved me was the other guy's speech (i don't know his name, the one who poured the wine and said that whoever dies last, should be a good fellow and burn all the others). I am curious about how the Night Watch is going to react when/if the wildlings attack them (looking forward to this - the scene when the wildlings killed those people didn't move me, as it was expected, but I liked how Ingrid didn't kill Sam's (girl)friend and her child. That was, perhaps, a good sign -at least an interesting one).

Liked the episode, though the duel was the biggest hit of the episode - it's what made it so great.

This is rather fascinating, the episode has been extremely well received by both critics and fans everywhere except for this forum.

As for me, I gave it an 8 out of 10. All great stuff, except for the Grey Work/Missandre romance. Where the fuck are they going with that? The duel was superb, but I really missed Oberyn's line "You will say her name before the end, or I'll haunt you through all seven hells".

The IMDB board doesn't seem too fond of it too- though the average score it has received is 9.9, so the voting public seems to like it just fine.

8 out of 10.

I was so excited for this episode my hand were shaking the entire time. I must say I don't feel as satisfied as I hoped... Biggest letdown for me was the beatle talk.. I mean why was that necessary? It wasn't even funny or interesting, and it took away far too much time from the fight. The fight was good, oh man, them feels :(

The Sansa speech was a nice plot twist for me, I was wondering how they would do that. But even I believed her story hehe. That look on Petyrs face, priceless.

Arya laughing was great. I don't really mind the Grew Worm-Missandei story, but they did stretch it too long I think. The attack on mole's town... I don't know, we all know by now what the wildlings are capable of.

I hope to see Tyrion throw up but I guess you can't have everything :p

There are posters who'd give a GoT episode a nine or ten if they broadcast a blank screen. Anyhoo I gave this weeks effort a seven.

Liked anything north related, like the Bolton scenes, they're much more prominent than in the books and rightly so. Just disappointed that when Ramsay got all mushy after Roose legitimized him Roose didn't turn around and put him in his place with THAT line.

Sansa scenes OK, like how they're going with her character but unfortunately by making LF look like a pussy.

Jorah being banished, what's her name playing Dany couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag, she has one expression and my God she's going to use it! But the actor playing Jorah was as usual excellent and he just about saved it.

BIG disappointment for me was the dual. Damn that sucked arse. It was too short and mostly consisted of the Red Viper performing silly ballet dancing in cut aways and twirling his spear around a lot. It was bloody silly. The whole point of the scene, which I thought they were going to show after making a big deal out of Oberyn going in with light armor! was the difference in speed and reach! but nope the Mountain was felled by a guy piercing plate armour with a wooden spear. Fuck me!

So all in all a slight meh. Not bad but could have been better. Almost unforgivable how they messed up one of the greatest Mano o Manos in fantasy literature and let's hope for better next week.

In the show everyone could clearly hear everything everyone else in the Arena was saying. If Oberyn had done that, I'd be asking why the hell Tywin let him fight with a spear he just admitted was poisoned to teh huge audience around him

Indeed. It is also why he didn't address the entire crowd in the books when he said it. It was as an aside in the far more dramatic build-up that was missing.

EDIT: The beetle speech from Tyrion also felt way overdrawn and protracted when I first saw it, but on second thoughts maybe it had a metaphorical meaning that I was unable to grasp on my first watch.

The Sons of the Harpy kill Missandei's brother in the books. They might kill Grey Worm instead!

I liked the episode a lot. As others have said, I was anticipating a longer duel, but looking back on it, it probably does seem about right. My favorite part of the episode was with reek/ramsay (always seems to be my favorite parts when they have screen time). I just think those two work together really well and probably because it's my favorite storyarch.

Anyways, 8/10!

What the hell did people who didn't rate the duel want from it that it could be any better?

After watching it again, the only thing I feel is missing is that part from the books where the Mountain accidentally hacks at bystanders when rushing at Oberyn. But yeah, it was great! I take back the non-personal thing.

And I agree Emilia nailed Dany

7/10

Things I liked:

1. The Duel: perfectly done, horrifying ending.

2. Sansa is now a player: love the change from the books, she finally is her own person after 4 years.

3. Arya's laugh: encapsulates everything about Arya and the Hound's trip through Westeros.

4. Jorah's banishment: was done well.

Didn't like:

1. Missandei/Grey Worm's budding romance: seriously, I just don't care at all. Really, I don't.

2. Molestown attack: why didn't they evacuate it? I mean, Night's Watch men were clearly there, so it wasn't as if they couldn't have been warned at some point. Needless death.

Edited by sj4iy