How would you rate episode 408?

How would you rate episode 408?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

i liked tyrions musings about his cousin it was an analogy about the gods and how they smash people, the only thing i didn't like was how they changed sansas arc.... little finger had the whole thing planned out sansa didn't save him, i didn't like how they changed that and i wasn't a fan of the grey worm missandei scene either... in fact danaryes whole arc is even worse in the show than it was in the book. oberyn saves the episode once again!!! amazing acting and they did the duel very well i will give the episode a 9

I've thought that was kind of strange also, we know they already shot the army, so I have been expecting something from the Mance camp here or there the whole season.

I wonder, are the TV only viewers going to be like, who is this guy again?

To me, they have missed some perfect opportunities - Bran and co could have had some dramatic moments as they had to pass Mance's outliers and scouts. They could could have even been captured and have the whole Brandor thing happen then instead of Crasters. Similar to Jon's expedition - again would have been valuable information about this army that is coming 'eventually'. Now we are going to have 100,000 people suddenly arrive and the audience is supposed to be engaged in the issues and characters?

9 for me

Let down only by the length of the duel, normally I don't complain because of the time constraints of the season, but after all the useless crap we had to sit through to only have the trail being only 7-8 minutes? No thanks.

What time they did have was great though, managed to really get the viewers into think Oberyn was going to win, for a time I was thinking 'hold on they're actually going to have him win this'.

A good episode let down by a few moments:

1) Petyr had no plan, which is completely out of character. There is o why he would rely so much on Sansa. It just slightly undermines how exceptional he is at playing the game if he needs a 13 year old to stop him from being killed.

2) The Mereen scenes are exceptionally dull (the Jorah scene was good) but the pointless Grey worm missandei relationship is taking valuable screen time away from important plot points and characters.

3) Leaving the scenes that everyone wants to see until the end of the episode is very frustrating. It works when some of the other scenes are before are exciting and develop the plot, but in this case it felt very cheap. Of course i understand the need of putting the duel at the end but another scene explaining the vipers reputation or anything relevant in kings landing would have been good. The best actors are all in kings landing they should make the most of it.

Overall 6/10

Too be fair TV Sansa is obviously not a thirteen year old....yowsa! But I agree turning LF into a clueless easily manipulated pussy was a waste of a perfectly good evil genius. They've murdered that character, not quite as badly as they have Stannis but still it's gut wrenching to watch.

It was a metaphor for all the senseless acts of mass atrocity that humans commit. Wars and murder. What is it all for, in the end?

But the whole point of the show, and the books, is that acts of mass murder are not senseless. It's about people grasping for power and wealth. About religious fanaticism and scary ice men bringing down Armageddon. People kill for reasons, bringing up a belaboured metaphor about a simpleton squishing some beetles left me like wuh? Maybe he meant God is a simpleton and we're beetles or something or maybe an allusion to how pointless death is, but to tell the truth I just thought it was a filler scene to fit Tywin and Jamie into an episode. Also Charles Dance has been SERIOUSLY underused this season, for shame.

You and I describe terrible things much differently.

It's fair enough if you like cheesy martial arts films mixed with a dash of Bolshoi, I swear the stunt double pulling those moves was a ballet dancer, but I was left wondering why the fuck the mountain didn't just step up and cut him in two while he was pulling those stupid moves. Each to our own I guess..

It's fair enough if you like cheesy martial arts films mixed with a dash of Bolshoi, I swear the stunt double pulling those moves was a ballet dancer, but I was left wondering why the fuck the mountain didn't just step up and cut him in two while he was pulling those stupid moves. Each to our own I guess..

Kinda like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5eqNp8eYp0

Also seen a lot of people complaining that there was apparently no poison, how do you know?

The second spear maybe it hasn't but we won't know for certain till later, it's not like there blatantly going to show it either

Pretty solid episode with a couple of flaws. Enjoyed it.

Molestown and the Night’s Watch: 7/10 Decent set up for next week.

Missandei and Grey Worm: 9/10 I really liked this although it isn’t in the books. I disagree with the people saying this is useless filler and just another love story. This is a guy that has been a slave for his entire life. For the first time in his life he is starting to feel something for someone with this same kind of horrible history. Then he comes to realise that these feelings are useless because he has been cut. Hard to imagine how this must feel.

Ramsey/Reek/Roose scenes: 10/10 Just amazing acting,Ramsey Show becomes Ramsey Bolton.

Vale stuff: 7/10 This scenes had some highs and lows, as other people already pointed out. I like the fact that Sansa is becoming a player. I personally think that Book Sansa was a bit slow on this part. I liked the acting. I hated the fact that they make Littlefinger look like a guy without a plan tough, and the dark Sansa coming down the stairs was over the top.

The Dismissal: 6/10 It was alright and better late than never. That being said it felt out of the blue and rushed. Besides that watching Emilia felt awkward. The guy who plays Jorah did a good job.

Arya/Hound: 3/10 This was just weird. The reaction of the guard when he hears Arya Stark is standing in front of him is just off. He simply replies by telling her, her aunt is dead. Where are they going with this? Also, the 2 seems to bond way to much if they are planning to go with the story as it is in the books. I liked the laugh at the end.

Jaime/Tyrion: 7/10 The scene itself was great. Great acting, nice metaphor. I kept looking at the clock tough. At this point in the episode I just wanted to see the duel or maybe a Oberyn/Tyrion, Oberyn/Ellaria conversation. I think I will rate this scene higher on a rewatch, when I can sit back and enjoy rather than waiting for the duel.

The Duel: 8/10 Loved it. Especially the end. I expected it to be longer though, and missed some face expressions from relevant people in the audience.

In total that’s a 7 for me.

Missandei and Grey Worm: 9/10 I really liked this although it isn’t in the books. I disagree with the people saying this is useless filler and just another love story. This is a guy that has been a slave for his entire life. For the first time in his life he is starting to feel something for someone with this same kind of horrible history. Then he comes to realise that these feelings are useless because he has been cut. Hard to imagine how this must feel.

It's not that I think it's useless filler, everything on the show has a purpose, it's just that with only 10 hours a season to work with, and so much material that doesn't get used it just seems like a waste of time, each to their own I guess though

"I noticed something funny today about the name 'Oberyn Martell'. There's no eyes."

Best thing I've read all day. har har!

The book reader in me gave it a 6, the show watcher in me gave it an 8. I averaged that out to a 7.

Fight was better than I thought it would be and fun to watch, but still the Mountain didn't....feel right? (I don't know, I guess this image of the Mountain didn't do it for me, hard to explain). Tyrion looked legitimately terrified/nervous, and Dinklage acted wonderfully as normal. Mormont's acting was superb as well. I'm still not into the Thenns...it's simply too much for me. They look cool and everything, but they are supposed to make their own weapons and...well...they're just so different than they are in the books that it's sort of insane. I normally don't complain about differences in the books and the show, but this change is too over the top for me to really enjoy.

Still good TV.

But the whole point of the show, and the books, is that acts of mass murder are not senseless. It's about people grasping for power and wealth. About religious fanaticism and scary ice men bringing down Armageddon. People kill for reasons, bringing up a belaboured metaphor about a simpleton squishing some beetles left me like wuh? Maybe he meant God is a simpleton and we're beetles or something or maybe an allusion to how pointless death is, but to tell the truth I just thought it was a filler scene to fit Tywin and Jamie into an episode. Also Charles Dance has been SERIOUSLY underused this season, for shame.

Well, the show depicts a lot of people grasping for power and wealth, but I'm not sure we are led to one conclusion or another yet about how senseless it is. Countless thousands have died fighting for power and wealth for a small minority, and over half of those small minorities have been defeated. But the god aspect may play a part in the metaphor too.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

my vote says why.

4. Lowest score I would have given any other episode.

Last 15 minutes were stunning, the previous was the worst I've seen of the whole series. That coming from one who has understood and accepted deviations as a necessary evil for a TV adaptation. I don't question the deviations themselves, just the manner of them. Bran and Craster's Fort was well done. Bran's book story arc might not translate well to TV however Episode 8 was not, and gives me great fear that would could and should be the single greatest episode, and was my favorite section of the books, the attack on the wall will be butchered. Not from a purist standpoint, but simply a rational one. The track record on how they have done the wall does not hold promise for next week capturing what the book made so engrossing and my personal favorite.

IMO This episode had more WTF moments than I've counted in any episode. Got off to a bad start.

I suppose someone forgot to tell Mole Town there were Wildlings south of the wall and coming that way.

Major WTF's with Arya/Hound. It was cute at first, the chicken sceen was hands down my favorite sceen of the series so far. However it has now it has become a real distraction the farther they creep from the book, Ayra is thought to all but a VERY few to be dead. At this point everyone could and should know she is alive.

I read much here about the Grey Worm and Missandei (I know my wife reads this forum, but let me say... WOW! I could be a Unsullied and findher of interset lol) It itself not bad, minor character developement is not bad, but when it is contrary to the book AND at the expense of what could be facinating character introduction and exposition true the books, that is where I worry about the future direction the series is taking.

Just my two cents! Looking forward to the last two episodes!

Also I thought Emilia nailed Dany this episode

I did too. The Jorah exile scene was probably the best part of the episode for me. I know a lot of people criticize her range, but the scene were she was doing Missandei's hair was a good contrast to her throne room scene imo.

It's not that I think it's useless filler, everything on the show has a purpose, it's just that with only 10 hours a season to work with, and so much material that doesn't get used it just seems like a waste of time, each to their own I guess though

I understand that and tend to agree. I just wanted to point out that the concept of an eunuch ex slave starting to get feelings for another ex-slave while slavery is a big part of Dany's arc isnt HBO trying to reach the tit quota as some have stated here.

I gave it a 9. when actually it should have been a 8 or maybe, 8.5. The thing that brought it down for me was the Greyworm & Misandei/ Misandei & Dani stuff. They could have used those few min toward the Battle.

I hate to say this, but Dani has been getting on my nerves sense season half way through season 2 ( same for the books). Both her acting & her character period. I just think that her story doesn't translate well from book to screen ( same can be said for Bran, though bran's story is still much better)

Everything else I think was good. The wall was the build up toward next week.

Changed my vote from an 8 to a 7 due to a lot of sloppy and stupid writing. "Why did you save me?" Peter asks Sansa? Really? Like he would have just put his life in her hands? Easily could have had him tell her something like "You did great out there. Just like we rehearsed." After he kills Lysa, he had all the time in the world to come up with a plan with Sansa. And if Sansa announces she is not Alayne, why not just give it all up and tell everyone that Peter is a murderer and even plotted the death of John Aryn who was their beloved protector?!?!?! She would have been just as safe since they all know she is a Stark now anyway. SLOPPY and really stupid.

And then the Hound and Arya. The Hound is the most wanted man in Westeros. Arya is one of the most sought after people as well since she is still a missing highborn. So why would The Hound say who he is? Why would he be so dumb and say who is with him out in the open like that? He is supposed to be smarter than that. Nobody in their right mind would allow them to just turn around and leave so I can't know how that is going to go. Especially if word got out that Sansa Stark has been hiding in the Eyrie too. That was a scene that should never have been. SLOPPY and really really stupid.

Should have had much more with Theon and the Ironborn. Should have made that more detailed. My parents (non book readers) thought they just killed that one guy and the rest were freed or something. SLOPPY and WEAK.

I also agree with a lot of people that they are dropping the ball with Jon Snow and the Wall.