How would you rate episode 408?

How would you rate episode 408?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I didn't really enjoy this episode overall as much as others this season.

I am not feeling the Wildlings at all and I must admit the Wall is boring this season considering it's going to be all episode 9 contains.

Missendei and Grey Worm... Erm... I'm not sure about that. I'm not bothered so much as I don't really care about either character overly much. Good be entertaining in the future I guess. The time could have spent better else where.

Moat Calin was good. Roose was also good as always. I look forward to Rooses bigger part next season onwards.

I thought they were gonna say don't make me rue the day... When Ramsey was all "I won't let you down dad" lol.

Beetles was... Wierd. I didn't really like it. Not because it wasn't in the books, it was just boring. "What does it all mean?"

The duel was awesome I thought. Great fight.

Jorah get permanently FriendZoned was good. Although I thought it was a poor change to make him beg for forgiveness when erm... I thought the whole point of that scene was that he didn't repent?

I can't remember any other scenes.

Re - the beetle scene

I may be in the minority but I liked it.

Not because they talked about beetles but rather the 2 brothers interacting with each other so well.

They could have talked about the price of wine or about peeing off Casterley Rock when they were kids - it wouldnt matter.

The scene was about 2 brothers from a troubled family having a heart to heart chat

Did you see the ‘Inside the Episode’ for E8?

Dave and Dan explained that they wrote this dialog:

Tyrion: See that cockroach? Tomorrow morning, I'll be dead and it'll be alive. It'll have more contact with Tommen and Cersei than I will. I'll be nothing, and it'll be alive.

[Jamie smashes the roach]

Jamie: Now you got the edge on him.

But, Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ad-libbed something else.

Bullshit.

But your "original" version is much better than we got.

I guess you read the spoiler?

:wacko:

You apologized to a film maker and two people whose names I don't recognize, and (as far as I know) have anything to do with the show. Putting something in a spoiler tag doesn't give it meaning; in fact, if you take the time to put something in a spoiler tag, you should try to make sure that it explains what you mean.

I voted 8 because I think they could have (And have before) done better with Tyrion's and Arya's scenes. I didn't really like the laugh reaction, or at least how it played out, and logically it didn't make sense that they wouldn't tell Littlefinger hey Arya Stark is out here with the Hound. I suppose they could do that next week but the two of them escape somehow...Still seems kind of weird.

Tyrion's scene had a message that could've been conveyed a bit better and more succinctly.

The rest was great. Pascal was awesome, and as someone who doesn't care at all for Sansa in the books I find her story much more interesting on the show, as in I can actually tolerate it. Was pumped to see Dolorous Edd and Pyp get some lines, and Iain Glenn did a pretty great job in that scene as well.

I loved Arya's reaction. She isn't just laughing at death. She is also laughing at the Hound not getting his cash. Also, with Littlefinger on "trial", I don't know if they would concede that Littlefinger is in control. Also, the minute the Hound hears the name Baelish, the Hound is out of there. As far as he knows, Baelish is a Lannister man.

I loved Arya's reaction. She isn't just laughing at death. She is also laughing at the Hound not getting his cash. Also, with Littlefinger on "trial", I don't know if they would concede that Littlefinger is in control. Also, the minute the Hound hears the name Baelish, the Hound is out of there. As far as he knows, Baelish is a Lannister man.

I get the reaction I just thought it was kind of odd, especially to end that part of the story like that. Even if LF isn't in control they still should probably inform someone Arya Stark and Sandor Clegane are standing outside their gates. They're surrounded by bowmen and guards, not easy to just walk away.

You apologized to a film maker and two people whose names I don't recognize, and (as far as I know) have anything to do with the show. Putting something in a spoiler tag doesn't give it meaning; in fact, if you take the time to put something in a spoiler tag, you should try to make sure that it explains what you mean.

O yea of little cinema history.

Wow, such a lot of vitriol earlier in this thread. I'm staying out of it, lads and lasses. A plague on all your Houses. :crying: The 'book purists' must be allowed their opinions; the 'show apologists' should be given equal latitude. We're never going to agree on everything, and we can have sensible, productive debate (which we do for the most part - it has to be said), or we can tear each other to pieces (which upsets this old gal.) I love both books and show, but see them as totally separate animals. Both have huge flaws; both have great swathes of excellence.

My own votes only ever reflect how much I was entertained. I gave 10 to this, because I WAS entertained from start to finish. I enjoyed the intensity in all the scenes and came away satisfied. I no longer think of the books when I watch the show. And if I've watched 50+ minutes of telly without hating Aidan Gillen for the first time ever in the show, I consider myself blessed :)

Hmm...I think a 9/10 is quite fair.

I actually quite enjoyed most of the scenes before the duel at the end. Sansa's transformation in this episode was quite fascinating; her character is really maturing -- which I have no doubt is exactly what Littlefinger was trying to achieve.

The scenes with Arya and the Hound were pretty great, also. I'm not sure what will happen next, but I reckon that the wound that the Hound suffered in the previous episode will be addressed again in the final 2 episodes.

What I didn't quite enjoy in the episodes was everything that was going on in Meereen. The scenes with Grey Worm didn't really stick with me, and Jorah leaving Daenerys just felt a little rushed, imo.

The duel was easily the stand-out part of the episode for me. I already had the outcome of the battle spoiled for me, but the final scene was still pretty hard to watch, never-the-less. Plus, the choreography for the fight scene was fantastic -- I just wished the fight was a little longer.

Who else thinks that Oberyn has the best fighting-style so far in the show?

Edited by Zed.

I quite disliked it. It seems now they are doing everything for shock. Holding build ups back, so they can hit the audience with a revelation. Instead of a strong thought progression, you get rhetorical hints

(e.g. Little finger's mention that you can die while on a chamber pot and Tyrion reciting all type of murders leaving the best for last.)

I also hate the pacing. It's not the first time that I bore through an episode and wonder when will the event in the title come up (ie quickly at the end of the ep).

There's also strange directing (all Dany scenes) and editing.

The show it's just not working. I'm off to the nitpicking thread...

Vote: 4 maybe 5.

Edited by 7th-key

I loved every part of the episode. The next 2 should be amazing. Episode 9 looks like its going to be a more focused/concerntrated episode like Blackwater in Season 2. Benioff and Weiss promise episode 10 will be the most epic episode yet so can't wait :drool:

I know it's not a verbatim adaptation -- I've said in several posts that I don't want a video version of an audiobook. But I'd like it to be the same story. You were the one who suggested D&D wanted to tell their own story, and that's what I don't want. I want them to tell George's story on television. That means I don't want them changing fundamental things (like switching Robb & Jeyne with Robb and Talisa), but that I wholly approve of adding the Ramsay & Theon scenes into Season 3.

And yes, what you described is essentially how I felt about the episode. We had a two week wait, the show named the episode after the participants in one of the most awesome scenes from the books, and which the show has done an excellent job building up to over the past seven episodes. So, yes, I had high expectations and hopes. What I got was 30 or minutes of low-grade filler mixed with 10 minutes of good-great scenes (Moat Cailin and the Eyrie) and then when the show *finally* makes it to King's Landing we get 5 minutes of Tyrion and Jaime babbling, and then finally the combat, which was completely unsatisfying to me -- it felt cheap and rushed, it did NOT feel epic, and I wanted epic.

When I rewatched the show (I always watch twice before voting), I actually skipped 75% of the show because it wasn't worth the time to watch, something I haven't done since season 2.

Just to clarify, I meant that D&D have wanted to put their own spin on the source material. I mean, haven't you ever read a book and thought in your head I don't agree with that. I would've done it this way? And really, if we're being fair, that's all they've done thus far. Ball park estimate, I'd say 85-90% of GOT is in the books. That's a far cry from what many like to claim has been 38 episodes of complete fanfic.

Anyway, to each their own. Some purists will give an episode a low rating, simply because ONE LINE they hoped would be in the scene was omitted. Clearly, you've got more reasoning behind your vote than those people.

Let's hope episode 9 is everything it's been hyped up to be.

Book purists are being a bit ridiculous when rating this episode.

From start to finish this episode was gold. If I have one criticism it is that I found Emilia a little wooden, other than that it was one great scene after another.

Yes LF was at Sansa's mercy, unlike in the books, but LF of the show isn't anywhere near as intelligent or subtle than book LF so it is somewhat in character. Yes Sansa surprised us all, but I bet we are seeing WOW Sansa rather than some dreadful character destruction.

Turning to the beetles story, it wasn't in the book, but it could have been as the message fits both show and book.

How do you come to the conclusion that show LF isn't as intelligent as book LF? Nearly every machination from the books has played out in the show.

I gave this episode a 6. 6 only because the worst episode of GoT is better than any other TV. It is probably one of the most anticipated and poorly executed episodes of this season. Here's why:

1) I love Sansa's quick progression but I cannot stand what they did with LF. The master manipulator, Machivelli's Prince, the man with the plan, comes to the Lords Declarant and his defense is basically, "yeah I got nothin". Littlefinger ALWAYS has a plan. Period. That was stupid writing. There is no Song of Ice and Fire without Littlefinger. If he doesn't convince Lyssa to kill John Arryn, Ned never goes to Kings Landing, Robert finds out about the true parentage of his children, Robert doesn't hesitate to have Dany assassinated etc etc etc. To sacrifice Littlefinger to make Sansa more interesting is blasphemous.

2) The dual I thought was well carried out but I realized I was watching it from the eyes of someone who has read the books multiple times. When I asked my fellow viewers who haven't read the books, every one of them thought that smashing Oberyn's skull was the Mountains last act before he dropped dead. The show makers didn't do their job and show that the Mountain was still alive. As such, those people were confused as to why Tywin declared the Mountain the winner. If they were both dead then it should go to first blood.

3) Arya is so shell shocked from her life experience that she will never reveal who she is yet she walks into a valley of hired thugs and shouts her name. This is not a small thing. Her story progression is almost wholly about casting off Arya Stark. Every time she lies about who she is its a step in that progression. By this point in her arc she has completely given up Arya. If she walks away from her declaration here without any repercussions, it lessens her story.

Edited by Steelegrave

3) Arya is so shell shocked from her life experience that she will never reveal who she is yet she walks into a valley of hired thugs and shouts her name. This is not a small thing. Her story progression is almost wholly about casting off Arya Stark. Every time she lies about who she is a step in that progression. By this point in her arc she has completely given up Arya. If she walks away from her declaration here without any repercussions, it lessens her story.

Yup. And now I don't know how they get from "I am Arya Stark" to the lost blind girl in Bravoss.