Arya in TWOW Arya is in BIG trouble... (Mercy chapter spoilers)

Mdoggy

Martins choice of the word Blade intrigues me to be honest, he does't refer to the hidden weapon as a knife, a dirk or a stiletto and yet a blade is an edged weapon, which Needle isn't. As to the pages and pages of ridiculous debate about sleeve length and whatnot, Arya draws the blade from her sleeve it says nothing that the secret compartments are up her sleeve. 

I agree the debate is ridiculous, mostly because I don't think it's important whether it was needle or not, but also because it seems obvious to me that any blade Arya had up one's sleeve can't be anything that qualifies as a sword under even the most liberal definition.  I am a 6-foot tall man with normally proportioned limbs.  if we assume that I have the full distance from shoulder to wrist, that might, barely qualify as a very short sword, but not really.  if we're talking about a 10-11-12 year old girl, and assume she needs to be able to bend her elbow normally so as to appear normal, so she only has distance of elbow to wrist, it can't be needle.  it's just some other blade. no big deal.

There are people who need killing in Westeros.  Something has to send her home.  I hope she crosses paths with the Hound.  I have also always hope that she could somehow set the record straight about the evil things done falsely in the Hound's name.  May never happen.  Martin is very busy.  He may not have time to repair the Hound's reputation, but it would be nice.    

I reread the Mercy chapter and yes I'm certain now, it was a mission

She wakes up, thinking "Mercy, I'm Mercy," in the same manner Theon tells himself the name he needs to remember himself by (Reek/Theon), and that she needed to get ready for her rape and murder. And yet nowhere ever is it mentioned by the dwarf actor or herself with regards to her lines that she will be murdered. Actually when she has killed Raff she thinks she needs to return for her "rape" scene in the play. Mercy's role in the play is not "murdered". And yet, it's the first thing Arya tells herself, that she is to be on time for once at the theatre for her rape and murder. So, her mission that night is to perform an off-stage role in which Mercy seems to have been murdered. Taking the "real blade" along with her, aside from the fruit knife, is more evidence that she is preparing to stage a murder outside of the theatre. Later on in the chapter, Arya is checking the blades used on stage on being fake, since one time a real blade had gotten used on stage. Plays don't use "real blades", they use "stage blades".

It can't be Needle (sizewise) AND she also thinks "none of the things were hers", and "hers" means Arya, because at the end of the chapter she==Arya, plus she makes the distinction to think that the fruit-knife is Mercy's.

The real cincher is the last paragraph, where she "had no doubt that this would get the envoy and Sealord into trouble," but she never thinks it would get "her" into trouble. Nor is she worried by the bloody mess in the room. She only thinks she should have done it downstairs, so she wouldn't need to drag the body all the way down the stairs.

A messy murder with a blade was planned, a murder that would get the envoy and Sealord into trouble, a scandal... one where the alleged murderer as well as the victim (Mercy) disappear, because in "the fog all men are murderers".

Yes, that's it, IMO.

It's the Sealord and envoy who are in BIG trouble, not Arya.

Sure, she knew Raff, but what was she going to do? The whole set-up of that evening took the involvement, time and work of a lot of people.

- Forel writing the play

- Izembaro having his actors rehearse it. It's the premier of the play

- the people who pointed the play out to the Sealord to take the envoy along

- having the Sealord and the envoy seen together with courtesans and all the enjoyments of the rich by the common folk

This must have taken time and people and money to set up. And most likely it's a politically inspired set up by a rival sealord AND/OR the Iron Bank.

She's free to pick the associated man to be framed for rape and murder of the girl-child Mercy, but it has to be someone of the envoy's party. Who'd you pick for the framing? The guard who wouldn't even think of leaving his station, his duty and is appalled at the idea of fucking a child, and most likely with an impeccable reputation/resume? Or the one who's known to have been of the Mountain's ilk, who doesn't give a twit about killing innocent dwarfs just for the heck of it, a known rapist and murderer? 

But just because she met the perfect scapegoat once in another lifetime, she's to abort the mission, return to the HoBaW and tell the kindly man... "Sorry, 't was against the rules. I had to abort the mission. One guard was unframable, and the one perfect to frame was someone I know and hate personally. You'd have to make a new plan."

I can hear the kindly man peep in despair, "And you couldn't imagine for a moment that perhaps the MFG sent you a gift and and answered all of our prayers?"

I also recently reread the chapter, but I came to the conclusion that it is not a Faceless Men mission.  It feels too improvisational, like it is being made up on the spur of the moment.  And if it is as important as Sweetsunray suggests, it would expect iot to be far more competently planned.

There are way too many potential failure points and assumptions made for it to be a professional operation.  For example, what if nobody wants to go with her?  Given her age, that is a distinct possibility.  At the other end, they seem to be making the assumption that their 12-year-old girl apprentice with minimal training is going to be able to take out a big, bad soldier with years of combat experience - all by her little self.  lol on that.  I've read the chapter, and I'm still amazed she succeeded.

There are other places where it could have failed.  Besides, how is it going to be seen as a rape and murder if she returns and Raff is still missing.  Remember, the stage is visible from where the guards were standing, so Guard #1 will be able to recognize her when she appears for her part.  Plus I doubt the City Watch is going to assume rape/murder when it takes place at her house.  They will assume she took him there for a sexual encounter and then killed him, probably with help.

If the City Watch is somehow involved in a large conspiracy, they can make it all up anyway, in which case the FM can probably come up with a plan than doesn't waste their apprentice, who is learning valuable skills with the mummers.

I think she expects that the FM will protect her from the City Watch, and that she will get into no more trouble than she did with Dareon, the NW deserter.  That is why she isn't worried about getting into trouble.  I think she may be wrong, depending on the overall outcome, since Raff is far more important than Dareon was.

I've always seen it slightly differently from sweetsunray's last post, though I agree in broad terms ...

I don't think the play was commissioned specifically for Swyft's visit.. I've always assumed it already existed. Phario Forel seems to write a number of plays with historical/political content , from the few titles we're given.. I don't know that there would have been time to organize it all from scratch after being notified of the visit. I'm hesitant to see "the bloodiest pen in Braavos" as someone who simply whips off plays to order. ( not with the obviously Shaespeare-like language.)

We don't know that it's the play's premiere performance.. just that it's opening night at the Gate, or perhaps it was scheduled for "One Night Only". Most costumes could be pulled together from the company's wardrobe dept. and the crowd seems to be able to anticipate the action..(E.g. knowing immediately to hiss and curse before Bobono begins his opening speech.)

But Izembaro could be prevailed upon to work it into his company's schedule (especially if it had been performed before), already having some connection to the HoB&W. If there had much advance planning Big Brusco would not have been painting the sign so close to opening (and that Big Brusco shares a name with Cat of the canals' host, reinforces the idea that Izembaro, like Brusco, is ready to comply with the wishes of the HoB&W on short notice.)

How "Mercy" would get to Swyft's guards was never pre-arranged .. she (FM-style) would have to assess them and decide on an approach. The stage was not visible to the guards.. Swyft was in the Sealord's private box. It would have been completely private. two guards inside, two "outside the door". Obviously, they could hear what was going on. But the older guard would not see Mercy on stage and she had very few lines.. Oh, no, no, no,” and “Don’t, oh don’t, don’t touch me,” and “Please, m’lord, I am still a maiden,”

The Sealord was not there (had never visited the Gate), but Izembaro had named the most opulent box for him and it might be presumed the Sealord had given the use of his box. (If he had been there, his First Sword and members of his personal guard would have been present.) .. But maybe the only one to OK it's use was Izembaro (and whoever he's co-operating with).

Swyft's visit, accompanied only by the Black Pearl, was pretty obviously (to us) arranged by the Iron Bank... but the Sealord would appear to be his host to the world at large.

Even once she recognised Raff, Arya snuck to where she could overhear them before making a final decision on her method.. It would be Raff going on about where were the bare-bellied girls and did the other guard think Swyft would pass the BP on to them after he'd enjoyed her , confirming what she already knew of him that decided her on her course of action (and she was worried that she'd be too young for him).

She thinks it would be "best" if she could get him back to her place - have him "all to herself"... (does this imply that an accomplice would have been standing by, at need ?)...but she's ready to improvise, depending on his responses ...

She has three secret pockets in her mummer's cloak. One holds the blade that she uses ..and the other two may hold weapons that would be useful if she decided on another plan - some coins and an iron key. We've seen what use she put coin to before..these may also be "special" Westerosi dragons..

If Raff had not been so co-operative , we may have seen some scenario that made it appear Swyft , or someone in his party gave out a poisoned coin..  Perhaps he would have been thought to have given it to the Black Pearl.. who then rewarded a young actress with it (we've seen another courtesan be kind to "Cat"...).. or a scenario that made it appear that Swyft had some nefarious clandestine dealings with a keyholder (a supporter of the Sealord?), with Mercy as an unfortunate witness... GRRM might have thought out many alternate scenarios.. but I think having made a point to mention the coins and the key.. we'll find out what those alternate plans might have been.

Of course the HoB&W would think that Arya could handle Raff .. they know what happened to Dareon, when she was even younger.. but no outside observer would believe it of happy, giddy Mercy.

The rape was in the play.. it would not be necessary for Mercy to appear to be raped (convenient, as it turned out - but not necessary). If Raff had not gone to her room, he would still have wound up in a canal.. and her cries and screams for help would be heard through the fog ... perhaps witnesses will still have seen a large man in a white cape running off into the mists..

Arya has always been a quick learner and exceeded the expectations of the HoB&W. I don't think they'd consider her apprenticeship wasted.. but if there was more they wanted her to learn from Izembaro, with a change of face, she could still be the next apprentice he takes on.

ETA: Re: the play.. It appears unkind to Tyrion.. but we don't know if that means it was kind to Cersei..perhaps it's actually insulting..Perhaps "Lady Stork" (whoever she is) is the tragic heroine. The play appears to encompass Robert's death and Joffreys.. is referrence to the Red Wedding, or Ned's death in there ,too?

I dont think they would use her nobility as an asset. that would involve her becomeing Arya Stark again. The KM wants her to be Noone and this would be counter productive IMO. 

I doubt they would have her act as Arya Stark on a mission, but her experience as a noble and knowledge of the nobility of Westeros could be very useful on a mission.  If they wanted to impersonate a noble, she'd be the best choice.

I also recently reread the chapter, but I came to the conclusion that it is not a Faceless Men mission.  It feels too improvisational, like it is being made up on the spur of the moment.  And if it is as important as Sweetsunray suggests, it would expect iot to be far more competently planned.

There are way too many potential failure points and assumptions made for it to be a professional operation.  For example, what if nobody wants to go with her?  Given her age, that is a distinct possibility.  At the other end, they seem to be making the assumption that their 12-year-old girl apprentice with minimal training is going to be able to take out a big, bad soldier with years of combat experience - all by her little self.  lol on that.  I've read the chapter, and I'm still amazed she succeeded.

There are other places where it could have failed.  Besides, how is it going to be seen as a rape and murder if she returns and Raff is still missing.  Remember, the stage is visible from where the guards were standing, so Guard #1 will be able to recognize her when she appears for her part.  Plus I doubt the City Watch is going to assume rape/murder when it takes place at her house.  They will assume she took him there for a sexual encounter and then killed him, probably with help.

If the City Watch is somehow involved in a large conspiracy, they can make it all up anyway, in which case the FM can probably come up with a plan than doesn't waste their apprentice, who is learning valuable skills with the mummers.

I think she expects that the FM will protect her from the City Watch, and that she will get into no more trouble than she did with Dareon, the NW deserter.  That is why she isn't worried about getting into trouble.  I think she may be wrong, depending on the overall outcome, since Raff is far more important than Dareon was.

Actually, the FM are taught to "improvize" based on the information they gather. Arya studies the insurance man and the guards and makes her own plan based on that. Nobody told her to switch the coins of the man dealing with the insurance man. She came up with that all of her own. She's required to think on her feet. Here's the steps of her training

1. Learn to spy

2. Spy on the insurance man, to form a plan to kill only him.

3. Create a scandal where the city believes one of the envoy's men has murdered a child actress and disappeared. We rely on your ability to spy and pick the best candidate for it, and the best workable plan from several.

She has alternatives with her - the coins and the key. Why would she put coins in a secret pocket, apart from her other coin? Money is money, unless it's laced with poison. She doesn't use the key, but she brought it along for a possible scenario. She didn't need to use the coins or the key to cause trouble for the envoy and sealord, so that's why they don't come up again in the chapter. But they point at Arya having had 3 different scenario's. But in all 3 scenario's it would have looked like a girl-actress Mercy was murdered.

But my bet is her feeding Raff to the eels, but leaving evidence on the crime scene he was there - a piece of his guard cape. She'll create a crime scene where both the victim (Mercy) and the murderer (Raff) will be implicated. She does intend to go back to the room. But the crime-scene set up has to wait. She can't appear to be missing yet. She can't have them looking for her, while she's trying to dump a body. That's why she goes back to the play for the second act. Raff's colleague can't see her, and the witness accounts will be confusing enough and a big burly guy like Raff against a little, small girl of 12 who never harmed a soul...

She spied on the insurance man for several days, to get a feel for his habits, before she develops a plan.  Here she doesn't do anything of the sort.  She knows nothing about them. 

She wakes up in her room just in time to get to work at the theater.  It would be just like Mercy to sleep through her own rape.  Apparently she's sleeping through her own surveillance as well.  Unless they're coming straight from the boat, they've been in Braavos for at least a few hours, yet Arya has done nothing to find out anything about them?  And it's not as if she has anything else to do.  If it's this important, sleep can wait.

The coins are probably ones like Jaqen gave her - FM tokens.  And the key is probably something to do with the HoBaW.  Both are things Mercy shouldn't have, and could be suspicious if discovered.   As for the blade, no way is Arya going anywhere unarmed, but Mercy wouldn't care.

Up until the moment she sees Raff, there is no indication at all that this is anything other than an ordinary opening night.  No anticipation about a mission.  No skulking about to get a look at the envoy and his men.  Nothing at all.  Also, she has to fit all this in alongside her duties at the theater, which keep her quite busy.

The fact is, there is no indication of any preparation at all.  Am I too young for him?  Too plain?  Too skinny?  You should know this by now.  Fuss and feathers.  They only know the Common Tongue.  Give it up or go ahead.  Give up??!!  You're on a mission!  Oh, and shouldn't you know this too.  That's what surveillance is for. She could even do it in disguise, so she's not recognized later.

This has the feel of an Arya special  It reminds me of the escape from Harrenhall.  She made up a plan, and then had to change it when she suddenly realized it wasn't going to work.  I don't have a problem with Arya being involved with a plan to cause a scandal.  This isn't it, though.

She spied on the insurance man for several days, to get a feel for his habits, before she develops a plan.  Here she doesn't do anything of the sort.  She knows nothing about them. 

She wakes up in her room just in time to get to work at the theater.  It would be just like Mercy to sleep through her own rape.  Apparently she's sleeping through her own surveillance as well.  Unless they're coming straight from the boat, they've been in Braavos for at least a few hours, yet Arya has done nothing to find out anything about them?  And it's not as if she has anything else to do.  If it's this important, sleep can wait.

The coins are probably ones like Jaqen gave her - FM tokens.  And the key is probably something to do with the HoBaW.  Both are things Mercy shouldn't have, and could be suspicious if discovered.   As for the blade, no way is Arya going anywhere unarmed, but Mercy wouldn't care.

Up until the moment she sees Raff, there is no indication at all that this is anything other than an ordinary opening night.  No anticipation about a mission.  No skulking about to get a look at the envoy and his men.  Nothing at all.  Also, she has to fit all this in alongside her duties at the theater, which keep her quite busy.

The fact is, there is no indication of any preparation at all.  Am I too young for him?  Too plain?  Too skinny?  You should know this by now.  Fuss and feathers.  They only know the Common Tongue.  Give it up or go ahead.  Give up??!!  You're on a mission!  Oh, and shouldn't you know this too.  That's what surveillance is for. She could even do it in disguise, so she's not recognized later.

This has the feel of an Arya special  It reminds me of the escape from Harrenhall.  She made up a plan, and then had to change it when she suddenly realized it wasn't going to work.  I don't have a problem with Arya being involved with a plan to cause a scandal.  This isn't it, though.

And yet we have the start of the chapter with "her rape AND MURDER" with no murder being in the play, and for which you have given NO explanation. You're denying the blatant clues there was a murder plan and intention from the get go, without the knowledge of there being a Raff the Sweetling... based on "feeling". And it ends with "She had no doubt this would cause trouble for the envoy and sealord".

She was on a mission, period. She also clearly did not know Raff was going to be there, so she didn't prepare to murder Raff when she got up, but he was the best target. The surveillance she did was enough. Did she accomplish the mission? She sure did - she had no doubt this would cause trouble for the envoy and sealord.

"Give up" - it's not something she wondered regarding the mission, but regarding Raff. It's by spying on him that she gains the confidence to go ahead.

Staging a murder of a girl and cause a scandal fits completely within the context of being part of a mummer's troupe.

Archived