Arya in TWOW Arya is in BIG trouble... (Mercy chapter spoilers)

Mdoggy

We do not reliably know this. While there were some verbal disapproval their actions of elevating their training went on.

We should not take the FM at face value (hurr hurr). We are yet not privy to their agenda and motivations in this part of the story.

While I do not think the FM are telling her everything, there is an odd element of truth in how they've trained her as well. The Kindly Man is manipulating Arya emotionally, to be certain. Yet he has done so by provoking her rather than lying outright: he tells her she cannot stay with them, so she does; he tells her she does not have it in her to live the hard FM life, so she does; basically every time her tells her she will fail, so she becomes that much more determined to prove herself.

As such, while I do not think they were untruthful in their desire for her to leave her "Arya Stark" identity behind, along with the personal judgement & killing it creates, there is a sort of darwinist element in how they chose to punish / train her. They made her blind, which as we see would have been part of her training later. But that they chose to do it earlier than usual is telling - if she can handle it, she advances; if she cannot handle it, she fails (and perhaps with her failure, dies).

What we may have here is the FM sect evaluating whether she is worth training. On the one hand, she is perhaps too judgmental, fierce / courageous, and willful to truly serve their cause. On the other hand, she seems to be a prodigy and surviving and killing, an extremely promising recruit, and possibly blessed by the Many Faced God. The question is, if they cannot control her, do they dare continue to train her in their secrets?

(Sorry for this analogy, but ...) It makes me want to compare it to the relationship between MI-6 and James Bond. On the one hand, he frequently ignores restrictions they put on him to do things his own way, and gets in trouble for it; yet on the other hand, they find themselves excusing every transgression and even relying on him, because Bond is the best weapon they have. An unpredictable, willful, emotionally damaged, terrifyingly dangerous weapon.

"Stark, Arya Stark."

(Sorry for this analogy, but ...) It makes me want to compare it to the relationship between MI-6 and James Bond. On the one hand, he frequently ignores restrictions they put on him to do things his own way, and gets in trouble for it; yet on the other hand, they find themselves excusing every transgression and even relying on him, because Bond is the best weapon they have. An unpredictable, willful, emotionally damaged, terrifyingly dangerous weapon.

"Stark, Arya Stark."

Or the Jedi training of Adakin Skywalker...and we all know how well that turned out.

Sorry if discussed already, I didn't read the entire thread. Commenting on the 1st point that Arya is in trouble with the Faceless Men because she killed without instruction or direction

I know that Jaquen (spelling?) killed for Ayra without direction from the Faceless Men, so I use this as a standard in that Ayra is not in as much trouble as we think.

Upon rereading the Mercy chapter, it's not clear to me that Arya is all too concerned that she'll be in trouble. She indicates anticipating the need to abandon the Mercy identity, saying she'll miss some of Mercy's friends, but that could be explained as much by the fact that Mercy will be wanted for murder as because Arya will be in trouble with the Faceless Men.

Look what she thinks about: having to drag the body on her own. Getting back in time for her role in the play. Sad to leave the Mercy identity. And that it will make trouble for the Sealord and the Queen's envoy. Not for her.

It's possible that Arya is just that blithely ignorant to the consequences of her actions with the FM, but I think she probably has a better read on that than we do. If she's not concerned about it than neither should we be, imo. She's more worried about the consequence for Mercy of missing her lines than anything that might happen to Arya.

I know that Jaquen (spelling?) killed for Ayra without direction from the Faceless Men, so I use this as a standard in that Ayra is not in as much trouble as we think.

Yet Jaqen did so in a manner which was in accordance with their beliefs. The gods were not cheated: Only death can pay for life, and in this case it did so with interest.

The fact that she knew who he was and drew him away to end his life confirms she changed back to Arya.

Correction: she changed back to Arry the orphan boy.

Does it even matter if she did turn back into Arya or Arry?

In the conversation with KM about the 1st FM, he says that no one knows who the 1st FM was then lists a few things he might have been (don't have the text with me). It would seem that if someone would ask about Arya years after she had died, she would be known as Arya, Arry, Cat, Mercy, Beth, etc. and it would be difficult to know which one she was 1st.

When I hear about becoming no one, I think it is more of a philosophy than really becoming no one. Arya is always someone weather it is a Stark or a cat, she just has to become the face she is in. I think becoming no one is just a way of thinking so that once you can think that way you can change faces and become anyone. I look at it like the Buddhist saying "Emptiness is form, form is emptiness".

That is a good question, I think Arya being someone else at the time still makes it an Arya/Arry kill, simply because she was the one who prayed for him to recieve the gift. Obviously I don't think the killing someone you know is as strict as some believe. She doesn't have the face of Arya and she is Mercy at the time of the killing. Mercy doesn't know the victim and being an instrument of the God of Many Faces Mercy gave the gift to a man who was marked.

“You’ll need to carry me.”

See? thought Mercy. You know your line, and so do I.

“Think so?” asked Arya, sweetly.

Raff the Sweetling looked up sharply as the long thin blade came sliding from her sleeve. She slipped it through his throat beneath the chin, twisted, and ripped it back out sideways with a single smooth slash. A fine red rain followed, and in his eyes the light went out.

“Valar morghulis,” Arya whispered, but Raff was dead and did not hear. She sniffed. I should have helped him down the steps before I killed him. Now I’ll need to drag him all the way to the canal and roll him in. The eels would do the rest.

“Mercy, Mercy, Mercy,” she sang sadly. A foolish, giddy girl she’d been, but good hearted. She would miss her,

Sounds like she switched from Mercy to Arya.

Sounds like she switched from Mercy to Arya.

I think she's just undergoing her training. Faceless people play a part, accomplish their task and leave the character behind. She's done it before.

For instance, Jaqen approached Arry, eventualy he gave the coin to Arya, and then he changed his face and said farewell, leaving to a new duty.

No big deal.

The point of the thread IMO is that Aryas training involves true missions. This one was about causing trouble to Cersei's envoy. I think it's more interesting to guess who has ordered the job. Obvious suspects are Stannis, LF and Varis. For different reasons I'd disregard the two former, and I'd bet for Varis. He's on the run, he has filled Kevan to help fAegon. Hindering Lannnisters' actions is precisely what we can wait from him.

Or we could guess what the big mission will be. It could be killing LF. Being Sansa's sister would help a lot. I don't have the least clue, I'm just guessing.

Sorry if discussed already, I didn't read the entire thread. Commenting on the 1st point that Arya is in trouble with the Faceless Men because she killed without instruction or direction

the point here is not that she killed with out instructions, but she broke 2 majors rules of the faceless men

1 being they should not kill for personal reasons to settle scores or for revenge

2 nd being the FM cannot pass judgement, or they cant determine if a man should die or live, they only give the gift to those who ask for it, or if somebody has prayed for that persons death by making suitable sacrifices. (note that its not payment that the FM require for a hit but a sacrifice)

the point here is not that she killed with out instructions, but she broke 2 majors rules of the faceless men

1 being they should not kill for personal reasons to settle scores or for revenge

2 nd being the FM cannot pass judgement, or they cant determine if a man should die or live, they only give the gift to those who ask for it, or if somebody has prayed for that persons death by making suitable sacrifices. (note that its not payment that the FM require for a hit but a sacrifice)

She did have instructions. She had to kill one of Swyft's guardsmen. It should appear as if the guard had raped and murdered Mercy, then got rid of the corpse and fled.

One of the guards happened to be Raff, that's all.

OTOH, Arya shows a bias to mixing pleasure and business. THIS is what FM don't like.

She did have instructions. She had to kill one of Swyft's guardsmen. It should appear as if the guard had raped and murdered Mercy, then got rid of the corpse and fled.

One of the guards happened to be Raff, that's all.

OTOH, Arya shows a bias to mixing pleasure and business. THIS is what FM don't like.

Where in the text do you find she had instructions or is this your imgination talking?

Archived