[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity

I also hated Sansa's evil outfit like "ok guys i'm going to start being bad now. im wearing this so you know"

Arya's laugh was realllly awkward.

The Ygritte shhh thing was unnecessary.

Missandei/Grey Worm is straight up pandering to an audience that I guess wants to see a non destructive romance? It's not cool.

There should have been more time dedicated to Oberyn and Theon/Reek. Those were my fave scenes.

I also hated Sansa's evil outfit like "ok guys i'm going to start being bad now. im wearing this so you know"

Arya's laugh was realllly awkward.

The Ygritte shhh thing was unnecessary.

Missandei/Grey Worm is straight up pandering to an audience that I guess wants to see a non destructive romance? It's not cool.

There should have been more time dedicated to Oberyn and Theon/Reek. Those were my fave scenes.

Wasn't it her in mourning colours for her aunt?

I don't understand how hard it would be to say "Look, before I met you or had any reason to care about you, a man approached me saying I would be able to return to my home and restore some honor to my name and House by selling information about you. I don't know any man who could turn that down. When I got to know you, and learned that Robert had meant to poison you and your child, I betrayed him for you. I gave up home, redemption with my father, seeing my family again, all because I came to love you and would die for you. I stopped selling information entirely and have been your faithful man since. I'm sorry for how we came to meet, but ultimately it was a blessing since I got to follow who I think should be the monarch in Westeros and you received your most loyal advisor."

Sure she can be pissed off, and even punish him, but there's like no opportunity to talk sense. It's like those cheesy 80's/90's teen shows where the girl freaks out after finding out the guy only started dating her because of a bet or something stupid.

yes, this. In the book, IMO, Dany's anger is a bit more understandable because of all the prophecy but also because GRRM really drives home her hatred of all things Lannister and Baratheon. The show doesn an okay job witht he latter, but they have falled woefully short of explaning the former and how the HotU chapter affects her later on.

That's true I didn't think of that, but it still felt like a evil witch outfit more than a mourning outfit (maybe it was due to her evil grin?). It does make me feel better now that you said that tho.

I'm not against Sansa's character change (I don't mean from the books), though. I thought she got a lot more agency and did what was best for her this time around. She showed the audience how smart she is for sure.

I don't understand how hard it would be to say "Look, before I met you or had any reason to care about you, a man approached me saying I would be able to return to my home and restore some honor to my name and House by selling information about you. I don't know any man who could turn that down. When I got to know you, and learned that Robert had meant to poison you and your child, I betrayed him for you. I gave up home, redemption with my father, seeing my family again, all because I came to love you and would die for you. I stopped selling information entirely and have been your faithful man since. I'm sorry for how we came to meet, but ultimately it was a blessing since I got to follow who I think should be the monarch in Westeros and you received your most loyal advisor."

Sure she can be pissed off, and even punish him, but there's like no opportunity to talk sense. It's like those cheesy 80's/90's teen shows where the girl freaks out after finding out the guy only started dating her because of a bet or something stupid.

Exactly what I think of every time.

It might have been the mourning colors for her aunt, but it was the design of the dress, coupled with the slow motion-esque staircase descent and the Sansa/LF scene before where she has the upper hand. The dress scene felt more "evil" than just simple "I am in mourning clothing"

That's just your mind taking something simply. Who says Sansa is going to start being bad? She went from being a girl to a woman (maturity wise), accepted her fate and decided to roll with it rather than complain and brood. She's not wearing, for example, a pink cloak with drops of blood on it that features the likeness of a man hanging upside down with skin literally peeled off him, you know, something that would make the bad guys seem to obvious. /rolleyes.

yes, this. In the book, IMO, Dany's anger is a bit more understandable because of all the prophecy but also because GRRM really drives home her hatred of all things Lannister and Baratheon. The show doesn an okay job witht he latter, but they have falled woefully short of explaning the former and how the HotU chapter affects her later on.

There's also the element that, in the book, Jorah admits to having informed on her as late as when they were in Quarth, and I remember her thinking how shocked she was because she assumed he stopped well before that. Plus he was very belligerent, refusing to ask for forgiveness and basically sticking to his justification, all the while bitter about her acceptance of Barristan who made his relent very gracefully. The contrast between the two was palpable.

There's also the element that, in the book, Jorah admits to having informed on her as late as when they were in Quarth, and I remember her thinking how shocked she was because she assumed he stopped well before that. Plus he was very belligerent, refusing to ask for forgiveness and basically sticking to his justification, all the while bitter about her acceptance of Barristan who made his relent very gracefully. The contrast between the two was palpable.

Yeah, book! Jorah is very different in the scene than show! Jorah. But that's not really new with Jorah, I guess. However, I do wonder if the writers moved away from GRMM's version for a specific reason (outside of pretty actors having chemistry together so give them drama!)--like Jorah and Dany meeting again in WOW, ect.

That's just your mind taking something simply. Who says Sansa is going to start being bad? She went from being a girl to a woman (maturity wise), accepted her fate and decided to roll with it rather than complain and brood. She's not wearing, for example, a pink cloak with drops of blood on it that features the likeness of a man hanging upside down with skin literally peeled off him, you know, something that would make the bad guys seem to obvious. /rolleyes.

Like I said, I like her character getting some power for a change. I like her even plotting for her own safety. I think all that is cool and interesting, but the Final Fantasy VIII costume just felt cheesy like I could see it on Charlize Theron in the Snow White movie.

For a man that was suppose to be a walking bag of silver, Sandor was pretty vocal about who they were, wasn't he? They were also the most un-informed people in the Vale. Biter and Rorge knew more intel than they did, how did they make it to the Bloody Gate without hearing ANYTHING about Lysa's death?

I actually thought that this was the best way to initiate the ransom. The only way to reach the Eyrie and Lysa was through the Bloody Gate. A really intelligent character might have thought of a lie to get them through without revealing the game, but Sandor isn't and the truth should work. Admittedly, he is making himself vulnerable. The captain could just order the men to shoot the Hound and take custody of Arya himself. Of course, that would be random, nonhonorable, and capricious. Still, a risk.

Regardless, I'd say the strategy worked to well. Even with Lysa dead, the Lord of the Vale is Arya's cousin. There is still no reason for them to not present themselves and at least ask for a ransom. Actually, I would love to see the Arya and Robin discussing execution strategies. Moondoor versus stabbing?

I would go so far as to say the writer's have written themselves into a corner. How will Sansa and Arya avoid meeting without some huge plot contrivance?

Like I said, I like her character getting some power for a change. I like her even plotting for her own safety. I think all that is cool and interesting, but the Final Fantasy VIII costume just felt cheesy like I could see it on Charlize Theron in the Snow White movie.

LOL. Final Fantasy VIII? I don't get it. It's a black dress (mourning) with Arryn feathers on the shoulders.

Actually, it would be utterly cheesy and teen-show-ish if Jorah suddenly became so calm and reasonable and astute, and respond to Dany the way you suggest. In essence, it would be throwing away everything his character represented up to that point. Thankfully, Martin uses the characters he created in a very natural way, which is why his Jorah acts in that situation the same way he always acts, because he desires Dany the way he desired anyone and everything else in his life. And that's how he loses her, too. As for TV Jorah, well, I'm not so sure about him. Nor about TV Dany. In the show, yeah, it kinda looks like those cheesy 80's/90's teen shows.

I don't remember Tywin writing a letter the other episode, but if he did, and if it really was about Jorah's pardon that Tywin used to cause the rift in Dany's camp, then it has to be one of the absolutely stupidest tings ever designed in this show. Like, how the hell would that idea even work in Tywin's head, especially with the information he has? It's on par with the Locke's "plan" for kidnapping Bran from the Craster's.

Deus Ex Tywina.

Deus Ex Tywina.

Yeah, I obviously forgot about him. And about his best pal Deus Ex Roosina, who doesn't hesitate to break the fourth wall and correct the show's previous blunders: "Locke? Forget about him, he's irrelevant, always was, never understood the love he gets on the internet".

LOL. Final Fantasy VIII? I don't get it. It's a black dress (mourning) with Arryn feathers on the shoulders.

I didn't think about the mourning at the time, but man if didn't remind me of this:

http://angelcosplayland.free.fr/AIC_V2/cosplay/edea/edea_3.jpg

and this

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2012415/300.2swath.ls.51512.jpg

I understand the reasoning now, but that was a nitpick before I remembered that her Aunt died lol

Yeah, I obviously forgot about him. And about his best pal Deus Ex Roosina, who doesn't hesitate to break the fourth wall and correct the show's previous blunders: "Locke? Forget about him, he's irrelevant, always was, never understood the love he gets on the internet".

gotta love roose.

I didn't think about the mourning at the time, but man if didn't remind me of this:

http://angelcosplayland.free.fr/AIC_V2/cosplay/edea/edea_3.jpg

and this

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2012415/300.2swath.ls.51512.jpg

I understand the reasoning now, but that was a nitpick before I remembered that her Aunt died lol

I'd say your first reaction was much closer to the truth. Sansa isn't wearing black at the questioning, even though her aunt is already dead. And, when she starts wearing black, Lysa's son doesn't, just like Lysa's husband doesn't, so there's no valid reason to think Sansa's wearing black because of mourning. It's just one more example of this board being much more creative in "explaining" D&D, than D&D are in writing. (Not to mention the possible change in her hair color. I'm still not sure was it a change or some strange effect of light, but if she dyed her hair black too, then the show reached the whole new level of unsubtle.)

Archived