[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity

I agree, I am pissed what it did to Jaime's character. Not only would he not kill a cousin like that, I find it hard to believe that he would kill a regular ordinary Lannister soldier in that situation, either, a brother in arms if you will. Commadarie with men in the field seems to something he enjoys and takes seriously, too.

Not only to the character, but to the show as well. I mean, everybody keeps repeating this is a show where stakes are high. But, if stakes are high, how come Jaime is able to escape prison so easily? How come Jon was freed the moment he killed Qhorin? How come a group of Ironborn can attack a castle in the middle of The North and then just run back without any trouble worth mentioning? How come certain Locke can enlist in the NW only to potentially find information about Stark boys: are NW vows so easy to break (not to mention that he had no reason whatsoever to think Jon or anyone in the NW has any info on Stark boys)? I'm honestly amazed every time someone tells GOT is a show were nobody's safe.

Yeah, but, the perfect time to hint at fake Arya would have been when granpa whitebeard Bolton tells Ramsay eh, screw it, those Stark boys are probably dead...right? Then again, despite what people like to write on this forum, the show is not very big into foreshadowing, they SURPRISE.

I've believed they would do fake Arya all along because the Winterfell stuff is so intense..but they have really screwed with the plot in many ways.

I agree, on the surprises and the screwing. Keep in mind the LF transporter, LOL and of course, Tywin's fax service. A SURPRISE, SURPRISE FakeArya could be in Winterfell in no time, hell....maybe she's there waiting? I'm kind of kidding, but....kind of not.

Not only to the character, but to the show as well. I mean, everybody keeps repeating this is a show where stakes are high. But, if stakes are high, how come Jaime is able to escape prison so easily? How come Jon was freed the moment he killed Qhorin? How come a group of Ironborn can attack a castle in the middle of The North and then just run back without any trouble worth mentioning? How come certain Locke can enlist in the NW only to potentially find information about Stark boys: are NW vows so easy to break (not to mention that he had no reason whatsoever to think Jon or anyone in the NW has any info on Stark boys)? I'm honestly amazed every time someone tells GOT is a show were nobody's safe.

Hell, I still want to know what the hell was Locke's plan if he should have gotten ahold of Bran? By himself, beyond the wall in the middle of no where without Hodor to help him. It's obvious murder wasn't his plan, elsewise, he'd have slit all their throats, not try to carry Bran off. What would have made sense in that mess of a story, I'm not sure, but.....seems to me that slicing all their throats, returning to the Wall with Jon to kill him on the way, or later, made the most sense. Whatever. Can't say it's easy to rewrite some of their mess or that I'm much interested in doing so.

I agree, on the surprises and the screwing. Keep in mind the LF transporter, LOL and of course, Tywin's fax service. A SURPRISE, SURPRISE FakeArya could be in Winterfell in no time, hell....maybe she's there waiting? I'm kind of kidding, but....kind of not.

Yeah, my fake Arya faith is wavering a little. Just as I first was convinced they were NOT going to have Stoneheart, and then decided they would, and now am not sure anymore if they're going to have her because it seems like they have so much to wrap up in 2 shows and goodness knows that Tyrian Dinklage will get huge screen time for his escape/patricide and however they dispatch Shae the hooker with the heart of gold, and since the shows are like 50 minutes now...

I hope to hell they don't have Sansa wearing that crazy costume going forward.

Yeah, my fake Arya faith is wavering a little. Just as I first was convinced they were NOT going to have Stoneheart, and then decided they would, and now am not sure anymore if they're going to have her because it seems like they have so much to wrap up in 2 shows and goodness knows that Tyrian Dinklage will get huge screen time for his escape/patricide and however they dispatch Shae the hooker with the heart of gold, and since the shows are like 50 minutes now...

eng

I do think we're getting Stoneheart still, I confess.....I was pretty certain she'd be treating Freys like tapestries, but they do seem, sometimes, to be in such a rush that I'm a little worried on the Brienne stuff coming now.

That dress, Lawwwwwwwwwwwd, some angles and shots it looked ok, but mostly it looked like someone stitched themselves a Halloween costume.

On the whole, it's hard to tell for sure what they intend to slow down, storywise, and where they are engaging the warp drive. I'm suspecting that with the apparent Sansa progression, Arya's FM training might be just a few episodes next season? I'm really confused on the timing they will employ for a lot of different things.

I suspected the Tyrion stuff would take lots of time on Episode 10, but after the way The Red Viper stuff seemed condensed, I'm not so sure now. I think it's gonna take a couple episodes next season to work all the timing differences out.

Couldn't say which is worse. If she keeps wearing it (and it's not impossible, considering how nobody changes the clothes in this show ever), then it'd probably become the most ridiculous costume on TV. If she never wears it again - then what the hell was she wearing it for this time?! Impressing Robin? Auditioning for the remake of Gone with the Wind (going down the stairs and everything - in which case Littlefinger is the new Rhett Butler)? MOURNING???!!!

The reason Jaime brought it up to begin with was because he slew his cousin. I

I think they only brought it up to make Tyrion list all the -icides up to patricide, so it'd tied up with Littlefinger's speech about [paraphrasing] "anyone can die anywhere, even while on a chamber pot..."

*wink wink, bookreaders, now excuse us while we screw up organic plots to have as much 'BAM!' moments as we can.*

Like the poison on the Viper's spear, it need to be surprise.

Of course, the show doesn't have to respect the culture built in the books, just like it often doesn't. I find the show vastly weaker because of it, but OK, let's say stranger things happen. However, Jaime killing the only person that is both willing and capable of helping him in his escape (cousin or not), is just plain stupid. The whole scene was a festival of the worst cliches: million people walking around the pen at one moment, and then not a living soul there at the next; Karstark junior going into the pen without the backup; Karstark junior turning his back to Jaime; Jaime strangling Karstark junior so easily; Karstark junior not going for his weapon... And so on.

Totally- his cousin openly asked how he could help Jaime escape. Jaime could have easily said..."Ok, I am going to pretend to choke you, and you play dead, and then when the guard comes in to check on you...." It made no sense why Jaime had to actually kill him when the dude just offered to help him escape. The guy was more than willing to play along with whatever escape scheme that Jaime had. He probably even would have taken one for the team and let Jaime escape while he stayed captured. He obviously idolized Jaime. It was a really stupid scene in many ways.

LSH for sure, but I admit Fake Ayra might be something they forgo at this point. Either that or 410 is going to be TONS of stuff squeezed into 52 mins.

Couldn't say which is worse. If she keeps wearing it (and it's not impossible, considering how nobody changes the clothes in this show ever), then it'd probably become the most ridiculous costume on TV. If she never wears it again - then what the hell was she wearing it for this time?! Impressing Robin? Auditioning for the remake of Gone with the Wind (going down the stairs and everything - in which case Littlefinger is the new Rhett Butler)? MOURNING???!!!

It is MUCH worse if she keeps wearing it. I never want to see her in that get up again. I will be expecting her to start flinging mardi gras beads around and demanding LF make her a specialty cocktail.

^^ But, you're forgetting she's not a foreigner, not a nurse, and she doesn't speak the truth to power. How is she then to seduce anyone without a provocative dress?

If they cut the farya, there would be no reason for theon to break out of his reek presona and espape from Ramsay. It would destroy his excelent winterfell storyline. and his redeption. Him saving her from Ramsay is what redems him in many peoples eyes. He had know reason to save her yet risks more mutilation to do it. It is a call back to his orderd murder of the millers boys. The boys did not matter so in his mind they could die. Then after he sees that was wrong and saves an innocent girl because he relizes that humanity is specail. Only a person striped of their huanity and turned into something lower than a dog can can truley see that.

The whole Sansa plotline annoys me. Unless they completely diverge from the books after this season, then I'm dreading what they plan to do with her going forward.

D&D have already shown that 90% of the time they're incapable of writing anything original in a half-decent fashion, and I fear what was one of my favourite arcs from Feast is going to be adapted abominably.

Hell, I still want to know what the hell was Locke's plan if he should have gotten ahold of Bran? By himself, beyond the wall in the middle of no where without Hodor to help him. It's obvious murder wasn't his plan, elsewise, he'd have slit all their throats, not try to carry Bran off. What would have made sense in that mess of a story, I'm not sure, but.....seems to me that slicing all their throats, returning to the Wall with Jon to kill him on the way, or later, made the most sense. Whatever. Can't say it's easy to rewrite some of their mess or that I'm much interested in doing so.

That was so fucking dumb. I really just wanted to punch them at that point. The storyline was fucked anyway (yeah, Jon knows Bran's alive and of course sooner or later everyone goes to CK right? He's got to be there!), but they could have salvaged something from the wrecks. Like when Jojen saw the fire on his hand I thought "oh, cool they can work with this".

So, when Locke came in , discovered Bran and prepared to take him away, I thought "oh, right he wants to go to a secluded spot and torture the shit out of Bran to know where Rickon might be. Afterwards, he'll just slit his throat and join the NW-members on their way back to the wall and then later leave". But the idiot actually wanted to run away with him, instead of staying with the safe NW!

And even worse, D&D ruined perfectly good fire build up. Instead of leaving Hodor & co alone, which didn't make sense at all (been pointed out time and time again), they should have had Lock throw a lamp or torch into the straw near Jojen. That wouldn't have been difficult right? It would not even cost a minute extra and it would explain why he didn't slit their throats to silence them, cover his dumb lie about dangerous dogs in the cabin and offer some more suspense to the Unsullied, because they had just seen Jojen's vision burn.

That was so fucking dumb. I really just wanted to punch them at that point. The storyline was fucked anyway (yeah, Jon knows Bran's alive and of course sooner or later everyone goes to CK right? He's got to be there!), but they could have salvaged something from the wrecks. Like when Jojen saw the fire on his hand I thought "oh, cool they can work with this".

So, when Locke came in , discovered Bran and prepared to take him away, I thought "oh, right he wants to go to a secluded spot and torture the shit out of Bran to know where Rickon might be. Afterwards, he'll just slit his throat and join the NW-members on their way back to the wall and then later leave". But the idiot actually wanted to run away with him, instead of staying with the safe NW!

And even worse, D&D ruined perfectly good fire build up. Instead of leaving Hodor & co alone, which didn't make sense at all (been pointed out time and time again), they should have had Lock throw a lamp or torch into the straw near Jojen. That wouldn't have been difficult right? It would not even cost a minute extra and it would explain why he didn't slit their throats to silence them, cover his dumb lie about dangerous dogs in the cabin and offer some more suspense to the Unsullied, because they had just seen Jojen's vision burn.

You've put more effort into rewriting their mess than I have. Honestly, what was the point, after all Roose basically called the whole thing a Red Herring. Hey, maybe it was all so Ramsey could mourn his only friend? I haven't forgotten the little notion that D&D planted on those two. although, I'm sure they have.

ETA: This is all even before I start whining about Thapphireths and Roast Goat.

You've put more effort into rewriting their mess than I have. Honestly, what was the point, after all Roose basically called the whole thing a Red Herring. Hey, maybe it was all so Ramsey could mourn his only friend? I haven't forgotten the little notion that D&D planted on those two. although, I'm sure they have.

They are just hacks. And it's a real shame. In part I think the problem doesn't just lie with their lack of talent, it lies in the fact that they just do to much. I mean they wrote like eight out of ten episodes this year, directed an episode, did the general story outline and probably took care of a million other small things. I mean how is that even possible? When you look at Hannibal, a network show that has had only two seasons they have had like 14 writers!!!

They need to bring in more writers (especially a woman, because some of the things D&D write...) and burden themselves less. Let them run the show instead of getting their grubby hands on every piece of dialogue on this show. Next year, Cogman will write two episode, GRRM and their assistant one. Still, to much imo. Dumb&Dumber should limit themselves even further.

ETA: This is all even before I start whining about Thapphireths and Roast Goat.

Well, the show doesn't elaborate on it, but the Bolton position is much stronger having taken Moat Caitlin. They have just returned their army to the North, and it looks like they have gone ahead and occupied Winterfell. Roose sent his best man after the boys, so there really isn't a plan B. If he starts a big manhunt, then people know the Starks are still alive and Roose is actively trying to kill them, which is very bad for Roose. So, he going forward he pretends like they are dead, and hopes their youthful, and in the case of Bran crippled, status makes them unlikely to generate an opposition movement.

They are just hacks. And it's a real shame. In part I think the problem doesn't just lie with their lack of talent, it lies in the fact that they just do to much. I mean they wrote like eight out of ten episodes this year, directed an episode, did the general story outline and probably took care of a million other small things. I mean how is that even possible? When you look at Hannibal, a network show that has had only two seasons they have had like 14 writers!!!

They need to bring in more writers (especially a woman, because some of the things D&D write...) and burden themselves less. Let them run the show instead of getting their grubby hands on every piece of dialogue on this show. Next year, Cogman will write two episode, GRRM and their assistant one. Still, to much imo. Dumb&Dumber should limit themselves even further.

They should leave Martin with his episode and give the rights to write the other 9 to random people buying the DVD sets ala Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I just read a review from an Unsullied (for the non readers) and, well, he says that he really didn't feel the urgency of Oberyn to avenge his sister.

I kinda agree with this. I think that the show has done a poor work about introducing the background of certain characters that are gone but are important nevertheless. I know in this case is hard to portray conversations and analysis about Rhaegar Targaryen on screen, but they didn't even show him during Dany's visions, nor showed Elia and his baby. Rhaegar is probably the most named dead character of the whole story, including his family.

Archived