R+L=J v.83

Angalin

Posting this again. Please help me wrap my head around the approx one year gap between Harrrnhal tourney and lyanna disappearing. It can also help me with "kidnapping lyanna" issue.

Rather than give you a direct answer, I am going to ask you a series of questions.

• How old was Jaime at Harrenhal when he received his white cloak?

How old is Jaime when he slays Aerys?

How old is Aegon when he dies?

How old is Rhaenys when she dies?

What does "the year of the false spring" mean to you?

All are given in the books except Aegon's age which is an SSM, of approximately one year old. There must be at least 21 months between Harrenhal and Aerys' death. I get 24+/-3 months. The Robellion was about one year (12 months), so there must be about one year before the Robellion, after Harrenhal. The toughie in the list is Rhaenys' age, because she must be at least six months old, probably nearer one-and-one-half when Elia travels to Harrenhal.

Rather than give you a direct answer, I am going to ask you a series of questions.

All are given in the books except Aegon's age which is an SSM, of approximately one year old. There must be at least 21 months between Harrenhal and Aerys' death. I get 24+/-3 months. The Robellion was about one year (12 months), so there must be about one year before the Robellion, after Harrenhal. The toughie in the list is Rhaenys' age, because she must be at least six months old, probably nearer one-and-one-half when Elia travels to Harrenhal.

Ack! At first glance I thought this was a poll! :lol:

Tywin was doubting about Rhaenys' age, wondering if she had been 2 or 3 when she died. It has been confirmed, in the meantime, by the app that Rhaenys had been 3 years old when she died. These two pieces of info combined suggests to me that Rhaenys, though having turned 3, hadn't been 3 for that long, hence the reason why Tywin was still doubting..

That would place her nameday, in a timeline I once sketched on paper, a few months before the Sack. In addition, in the sketch, in meant that the 6 months of bedrest for Elia had ended shortly before 280AC ended, and that this was when she was riding through the Kingswood with Gerold Hightower, and was attacked by the brotherhood.. which then promted Aerys to send the KG into the woods, under the leadership of Arthur Dayne.

well, I just started rereading ADWD and in Tyrion I I just found this.. I couldn't resist to post here since ....

Tyrion chose a cask of strongwine marked as the
private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne, the grandfather of the present Lord of the Arbor. The taste of
it was languorous and heady on the tongue, the color a purple so dark that it looked almost black in the
dim-lit cellar

it does bring in mind the usually referred here quote from AGOT:

You could see it in his eyes, Stark.” Jon’s eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see.

Actually, I prefer to believe that Stark genes are dominant to Targs... yet while reading the passage I couldn't help... it was such a subtle detail...

I beleive Jamie was 15 when he got the white cloak, and 17 when he killed Aerys. If Rhaenys_Targaryen is correct then Rhaenys is 3 and Aegon is...1+?

I beleive Jamie was 15 when he got the white cloak, and 17 when he killed Aerys. If Rhaenys_Targaryen is correct then Rhaenys is 3 and Aegon is...1+?

September 01, 1999

King’s Landing 10 Questions

[Note: The following is a summary of a "10 Questions" feature produced by Sulthon of Kingslanding.org, which is now defunct. The precise date, beyond September 1999, is unknown.]

[...]

At the time of the Sack, Aegon Targaryen was, "Still a babe at the breast. A year old, give or take a turn or two."

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/1999/09/

Speakin of Jon's future sigil...what would his new words be? I can't see him fully accepting Fire and Blood since he's half Stark, but the same for Winter is Coming.

Yeah, my favorite is a sigil similar to Bittersteel's winged horse - a wolf with dragon wings ;)

I feel like we've talked before about the idea that Jon, not Bran, is the winged wolf (dragon wings, not raven wings) and that the stone chains binding the winged wolf are the Watch vows, not Bran's paralysis/closed third eye. Bloodraven calling Bran is ultimately a step to get to Jon; similarly to how Melisandre's means to get to Jon was Stannis, and she mistook Stannis for the ends and not the means.

Unconventional idea, to be sure, but it does make you think. I'm very curious to see whether Bloodraven had a role to play in Jon's stabbing or anything that happens after it.

Going back to the Rhaegar-Elia-Lyanna triangle, it reminds me a lot of the Aegon-Rhaenys-Visenya triangle. Where Aegon married Visenya for duty (and presumably it was the same for her; we never hear or read about her being jealous of her sister) and took the extra wife, Rhaenys, "out of desire." Sounds quite a bit like Rhaegar's situation, doesn't it? It also hints that Rhaegar and Elia probably got along well in a friendly/platonic, but not romantic, way.

And there's the obvious, "Yes, Virginia, it was polygamy" implication.

Going back to the Rhaegar-Elia-Lyanna triangle, it reminds me a lot of the Aegon-Rhaenys-Visenya triangle. Where Aegon married Visenya for duty (and presumably it was the same for her; we never hear or read about her being jealous of her sister) and took the extra wife, Rhaenys, "out of desire." Sounds quite a bit like Rhaegar's situation, doesn't it? It also hints that Rhaegar and Elia probably got along well in a friendly/platonic, but not romantic, way.

Yeah, the parallel is more than obvious.

I recall that some time back, we had a discussion on how Rhaegar's personality seems to resemble Aegon's, and this piece about the reasons why Aegon married both his sisters (which was considered unusual but not impossible, hint hint) further highlights the similarites.

"Ice and Fire"? ;)

Yup. That does make the mose sense :)

Which is why I'm starting to think that she encouraged him to be with Lyanna.

Archived