R+L=J v.83

Angalin

Okay, thanks. I think I can make out a J, but I don't see any = sign. But anyway, the R & L right behind Jon is already enough. I wonder how the R+L=/=J crows will try to dismiss that one. Another red herring!!111

"It's not an "=", it's a "=/="!!!"

The = J is hard to see, but the RL and the fact that Jon Snow is standing right there is a giant neon sign. :)

(this revelation has made my night)

I know! <O>

I agree that the =J bit is iffy but the RL is plain as day.

Also, the scene where the wood carving is visible, when Alliser comes in and talks about the cold and the cannibalism and such ... begins with Sam and Jon discussing their virginity, and Jon talks about his mother and how he doesn't know who she is.

ETA: Oh, and you can also see it earlier in the episode when Rast tells Jon he's gunning for Sam.

I agree that the =J bit is iffy but the RL is plain as day.

Also, the scene where the wood carving is visible, when Alliser comes in and talks about the cold and the cannibalism and such ... begins with Sam and Jon discussing their virginity, and Jon talks about his mother and how he doesn't know who she is.

ETA: Oh, and you can also see it earlier in the episode when Rast tells Jon he's gunning for Sam.

I guess now after the finale this season, re-watching again from season 1, maybe RLJ fans will start paying attention to carved things or small written clues to Jon and Ned's scenes, or any scenes involving conversations about Jon and his parents, Rhaegar or Lyanna. :)

That's the sort of thing where you want to hunt up the production designer and ask, "Was that intentional?"

It almost has to be. Why carve anything into the wood at all? Why not carve other graffiti into it? Why put it at a level with Jon's head? Why those two specific letters, out of every combination of letters in existence?

That's the sort of thing where you want to hunt up the production designer and ask, "Was that intentional?"

It almost has to be. Why carve anything into the wood at all? Why not carve other graffiti into it? Why put it at a level with Jon's head? Why those two specific letters, out of every combination of letters in existence?

Because it was 100% intentional. :) A little easter dragon egg for the fans. The only question I have is, whose idea was it?

I thought those screen grabs were common knowledge around here. Guess not. Some were posted a while back.

Indeed ;)

Btw, our Lord of the Metaphor, what do you think of the Lightbringer beaten on the anvil and forged in the fire? Not to mention Jon's duel physically pressed between the... anvil and the hammer?

Indeed ;)

Btw, our Lord of the Metaphor, what do you think of the Lightbringer beaten on the anvil and forged in the fire? Not to mention Jon's duel physically pressed between the... anvil and the hammer?

I should have known it was you. :) Btw, don't skimp on my titles. It's Lord of the Metaphor and Protector of the Simile. :P :lol:

You know, I thought of R+L=Lightbringer right away but immediately dismissed it as a coincidence. I even said as much in Schmendrick's thread. Maybe I'm wrong though. I don't know, I'm usually pretty open minded, and perhaps should have been more so here. However, I did think there might be something to the hammer & anvil metaphor, which I also recognized.

Also, I suppose it's also worth linking images to the stained glass windows with the blue rose/flower in the throne room - Link.

ETA: Here's one from the show's HotU - Link.

I definitely agree with your analysis, with the exception of the Targaryens. I actually came away from tPatQ even less interested and slightly turned off by them, likely keeping my distance in the country if I were a Westerosi noble.

Maybe it's because it's told from the standpoint of a third person. and I would still read about them, if nothing else to have some understanding of the other Houses and how they interacted with them

Naturally :) I was merely registering the fact that Martin is not focused primarily on a single aspect/storyline. And I jockingly thanked the gods (the olde and the new ones) for that, as I prefer my author to be eclectic and versatile LOL Also, wouldn't ASoIaF be a much lesser work if it was only about ice or only about fire?

You know, I thought of R+L=Lightbringer right away but immediately dismissed it as a coincidence. I even said as much in Schmendrick's thread. Maybe I'm wrong though. I don't know, I'm usually pretty open minded, and perhaps should have been more so here. However, I did think there might be something to the hammer & anvil metaphor, which I also recognized.

Btw, I suppose it's also worth linking images to the stained glass blue rose/flowers in the throne room - Link.

ETA: Here's one from the show's HotU - Link.

Thanks for relinking :)

There is also the rose detail in the Blu-ray History&Lore extras (2:25-2:35) and Kit's meaningful pause here, round 45sec or Rhaegar's protective stance here.

New people come here all the time to discuss the theory. Maybe we should link these little dragon eggs (both tv series/extras and comics related) in the OP too?

Thanks for relinking :)

There is also the rose detail in the Blu-ray History&Lore extras (2:25-2:35) and Kit's meaningful pause here, round 45sec or Rhaegar's protective stance here.

New people come here all the time to discuss the theory. Maybe we should link these little dragon eggs (both tv series/extras and comics related) in the OP too?

At the very least they belong in the OP of the [book spoilers] R+L=J show thread.

Archived