Dany and her Dragons, just a massive Red Herring?

RedShirt47

Of course it is. What is the real threat? The story is about ice and fire. Dany and Melisandra have the same vision of snow and grey ash in the sky. Why are the others going south? What happened to Valaryia? The long night is about those volcanic eruptions up north that is going to kill a lot of people and the sky went grey from the ash. Dragons can't stop a volcano but a wall of ice can stop a lava flow.

Of course it is. What is the real threat? The story is about ice and fire. Dany and Melisandra have the same vision of snow and grey ash in the sky. Why are the others going south? What happened to Valaryia? The long night is about those volcanic eruptions up north that is going to kill a lot of people and the sky went grey from the ash. Dragons can't stop a volcano but a wall of ice can stop a lava flow.

Doesn't this seem to crackle with potential? it's not clear what you're saying, yet it's clearly awesome. which makes it art! ......Could a horn-stolen dragon dive into a caldera and start a Valryia meltdown event on Westerosi soil??? Maybe that's something heroes should post on their bulletin board of things to watch out for. And your Wall melting scenario could include Patch's death under a "sea" of Wall water, just as he's requested!

It's no true Red Herring. backlash against it because, idk, hipsters. its far from just a big misdirection. If anything, Dany conquering Westeros and the Dance of the Dragons 2 is the Red Herring and her fighting the Others is the Untwist

The way I came to this conclusion is that there really isn't time enough to fully explore both Fire Field 2 and the saving of the world. And saving the world would be the more essential of the two, too. If only one can be, it'd be that. So Dannee flees the Field and embraces responsibilitee. Ore someting lie'k dat.

Did he specify in which state, or in how many pieces she would arrive in Westeros?

I was going to suggest something like this, she flies into Westeros and falls from her dragon and splatters on the shore. Technically, she arrives.

I don't understand this assumption that Dany's story arc is to save Westeros from the Others. I see the Others as Westeros' threat from ice and Dany and her dragons as the threat to Westeros from fire.

I like this.

I don't know, maybe the red herring is the idea that the dragons are the fire part of ice and fire. We do have Rhllor (sp) and the Red Priests after all.

Maybe its both, the Red Priests will take control of the dragons after Dany splatters on the shore and they will try to conquer Westeros. Or in the end the true battle isn't a physical war but a story of which religion wins, ice or fire. The Others aren't coming to kill everyone but to preach their god and so are the Red priests :uhoh:

She will arrive in Westeros eventually, maybe at he end of TWOW, hopefully. I expect the first half of ADOS being the Dance of Dragons 2.0, devastating Westeros with fire, while in the North, the Others rampage across the countryside, the Ice side of the equation. The second half of ADOS will be the dragons and Others canceling each other out, restoring balance to the Force or however you say it.

I don't think that Dany is AA, however. I follow Gorghan of Ghis's law of prophecy: "If someone in the books interprets something someway, they've got it all wrong." The real AA is probably [insert Your Choice of Azor Ahai Here].

Daenerys is a red herring for TPTWP prophecy. Jon is the TPTWP. But she will come to Westeros eventually, where Tyrion and/or Brown Ben will betray her with Viserion for all the gold of Casterly Rock and Aegon will betray her for his love of Arianne. She'll die and Jon will take Drogon.

Daenerys is a red herring for TPTWP prophecy. Jon is the TPTWP. But she will come to Westeros eventually, where Tyrion and/or Brown Ben will betray her with Viserion for all the gold of Casterly Rock and Aegon will betray her for his love of Arianne. She'll die and Jon will take Drogon.

I think Dany is TPTWP. I would say Aegon, but I see him more as a king who won't pretty his luck, likely staying in the Crownlands until winter passes (maybe Winter proves too much for a boy raised in Essos..)

Can someone link to the interview where Martin said Dany would for sure go to Westeros?

Dany certainly doesn't have to swoop in and save the day. In fact, it's probable that will not be what happens. That doesn't mean she won't have some huge impact. What point would there be in spending so much time with her and making such a big deal about dragons if she weren't going to come to Westeros and do something important there?

The mental gymnastics Dany haters go through to convince themselves she's just going disappear suddenly is pretty hilarious.

Even though my favorites are Arya, Sansa, Jaime, Jon, and Asha part of me does want Dany to win everything because the Dany hater tears would be so plentiful and delicious. :crying: :drool: :crying:

I think Dany is TPTWP. I would say Aegon, but I see him more as a king who won't pretty his luck, likely staying in the Crownlands until winter passes (maybe Winter proves too much for a boy raised in Essos..)

Can someone link to the interview where Martin said Dany would for sure go to Westeros?

The next book, A Dance With Dragons, will focus on the return of Daenerys Targaryen to Westeros, and the conflicts that creates. After that comes The Winds of Winter. I have been calling the final volume A Time For Wolves, but I am not happy with that title and will probably change it if I can come up with one that I like better.

http://www.infinityp...ion/intgrrm.htm

Well originally GRRM's story wasn't going to include dragons. Plus we don't know if fire will kill Weight Walkers. It's very likly fire will hurt Walkers but I would'nt be surprised if Weight Walkers had some kind of Ice magic to fight fire.

I thought the original story had no magic at all, but GRRM decided to add it in. I could be wrong here. Wouldn't the white walkers = magic ?

Dany certainly doesn't have to swoop in and save the day. In fact, it's probable that will not be what happens. That doesn't mean she won't have some huge impact. What point would there be in spending so much time with her and making such a big deal about dragons if she weren't going to come to Westeros and do something important there?

The mental gymnastics Dany haters go through to convince themselves she's just going disappear suddenly is pretty hilarious.

Even though my favorites are Arya, Sansa, Jaime, Jon, and Asha part of me does want Dany to win everything because the Dany hater tears would be so plentiful and delicious. :crying: :drool: :crying:

I don't actually hate her tbh. I just like thinking of horrible ways for the books to go, since GRRM loves doing that too :)

She'll die and Jon will take Drogon.

Not going to happen. There are 2 other dragons for a reason. If Daenerys does die I would be willing to bet it's not until almost the very end of the story. And we know a rider can only ride one dragon in their lifetime, so I highly doubt Jon will not have ridden one of the other 2 by then.

The next book, A Dance With Dragons, will focus on the return of Daenerys Targaryen to Westeros, and the conflicts that creates. After that comes The Winds of Winter. I have been calling the final volume A Time For Wolves, but I am not happy with that title and will probably change it if I can come up with one that I like better.

http://www.infinityp...ion/intgrrm.htm

And yet, a ADWD did not see her return. Could this mean Martin changed his mind? Possibly

If you believe Daenerys will never arrive in Westeros , I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

..He said, 5 books later with no Dany in Westeros, or even close to being ready to go there.

It probably will happen, but I don't think it will be the massive deal everyone thinks it will be. It will likely be quite civil at first, with her arriving after Aegon already reigns in KL, but perhaps something goes wrong? Perhaps she heads north after hearing of the others and all the death their return promises, relinquishing her quest for power for the time being.

TallTyrionLannister, on 07 Jun 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

And yet, a ADWD did not see her return. Could this mean Martin changed his mind? Possibly

More likely that he was trapped in the Meereenese knot. Hopefully this means she will be getting there by halfway through TWOW.

GRRM has said he's already planned what will happen with the main characters and will not change his mind. It's how they will get to that ending that has been changeable.

It probably will happen, but I don't think it will be the massive deal everyone thinks it will be. It will likely be quite civil at first,

Her name is Daenerys Stormborn, shit is going to hit the fan when she arrives. I don't think Westeros will be the same afterwards.

Her name is Daenerys Stormborn, shit is going to hit the fan when she arrives. I don't think Westeros will be the same afterwards.

There's no way she gets there anytime before Aegon sits on the throne, unless she decides to abandon Slaver's Bay and leave it in utter ruin... which would kind of be a horrible way to end her days in Essos, for all the time invested there.

With a Targ already on the throne (or a believe-to-be-Targ), her presence won't be too huge a deal unless she causes problems with Aegon's legitimacy, which I also don't see being overly likely.

TallTyrionLannister, on 07 Jun 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

There's no way she gets there anytime before Aegon sits on the throne, unless she decides to abandon Slaver's Bay and leave it in utter ruin... which would kind of be a horrible way to end her days in Essos, for all the time invested there.

With a Targ already on the throne (or a believe-to-be-Targ), her presence won't be too huge a deal unless she causes problems with Aegon's legitimacy, which I also don't see being overly likely.

The fact that she has dragons and Aegon doesn't causes problems with Aegon's legitimacy. She's a confirmed Targ. He's someone claiming to be a presumed dead prince.

Dany was introduced in book 1. Aegon was introduced in book 5. Do you really think he's the more important character?

Archived