The Wrong Targ Queen

Dany's trying to be Rhaenys or Visenya to re-conquer Westeros, but she doesn't fit the role. She doesn't really like all that military stuff. She's much better suited to being Good Queen Alysanne, working for the overall good of the Realm in a peacetime situation. Her timing is crappy.

I would say the exact opposite. She's great at being a leader/conqueror, it's the ruling part she doesn't like or excel in.

:agree:

Rhaenyra was great at conquering shit. Her problems came later (look at the mess at King's Landing)

But I think Dany will be more like Nymeria, probably because she'll arrive at Westeros with a ragged bunch of foreigners

I would say the exact opposite. She's great at being a leader/conqueror, it's the ruling part she doesn't like or excel in.

On the surface it looks that way. But Alysanne had the luxury of working in a settled environment under the established Targ dynasty where Dany's fighting an entrenched system that's opposing her every step.

Dany wins battles but isn't able to win the war.

But I think Dany will be more like Nymeria, probably because she'll arrive at Westeros with a ragged bunch of foreigners

Good point. I've thought about this before. I'm not sure if there exist other parallels to her and Nym but I'd like to think there are more. Nymeria is pretty awesome.

Dany's trying to be Rhaenys or Visenya to re-conquer Westeros, but she doesn't fit the role. She doesn't really like all that military stuff. She's much better suited to being Good Queen Alysanne, working for the overall good of the Realm in a peacetime situation. Her timing is crappy.

I think Dany is great at military tactics, she seems to be winning. Now ruling Dany needs major improvement, she recognizes this and seems to want to improve and thats a good sign.

I think the person to compare Dany to is Aegon I (the Conquerer), not either of his sisters, or any of the other Targaryen or Westerosi queens. She is the visionary conquerer/leader/messiah/liberator/possible megalomaniac, not that person's sidekick or spouse. Plus, aside from Nymeria (who we know very little about and came from Essos) not one of the other Western queens in the books successfully took the throne (of any kingdom or city-state) and ruled as monarch in her own right. Also, when 'the three heads of the dragon' finally attack, Dany will be the one riding the biggest dragon, Drogon, and Drogon = Balerion. JMHO. :)

She seems to be competent when it comes to militarily taking a city. She struggles with maintaining order after conquering said city, but who doesn't. If they aren't backed by gold and historical ties to that area. Perhaps she can be found wanting when it comes to long term strategy, but that can surely be overcome upon the backs of dragons...

Actually, I think Dany is good conqueror and good at offensive military capabilities, but I think where she fails is court politics and intrigue where dragons are pretty much useless.

I see that as well. Dany, like Nymeria, is a warrior queen who guides her people on ships to Westeros to escape a potential life of slavery and start anew. Also, I think like Nymeria, Dany will conquer Dorne, but I think that will be more Tyrion's work through smart strategy and political dealing.

Good Queen Alysanne actually got shit done.

So did her husband Jaehaerys I who had a big pile of shit at the foot of the IT. I don't think Westeros needs another Aegon the Conqueror and Visenya or Rhaenyra, but a Jaehaerys the Wise and Good Queen Alysanne. Westeros needs constructive people to rebuild the realm.

With Tyrion so close to Meereen, he will probably become her hand sooner or later and restore order, because that is where he excells. Dany really sucks at administration and law/justice, which is why her two husbands/her one Husband and Co-Queen(Noone ever said she would be the middle head of the three-headed dragon ;P ) should better be damn good at that. She will be the leader and conqueror, so when there is war she will fight and when there is not she will travel around and keep everyone in line, while one other head rules the kingdom and the third head tries to establish justice and make the dynasty popular with the smallfolk again.

Good Queen Alysanne actually got shit done.

She was also older and was taught how to rule, had more resources, didn't have "friends" like the Green Grace, or an assortment of unsuitable husbands. In Dany's position I doubt that Alysanne would have done a lot better (by position, I mean exile, raised by a wack brother, assassins after her, etc).

She was also older and was taught how to rule, had more resources, didn't have "friends" like the Green Grace, or an assortment of unsuitable husbands. In Dany's position I doubt that Alysanne would have done a lot better (by position, I mean exile, raised by a wack brother, assassins after her, etc).

And if your aunt had a dick he'd be your uncle. But Alysanne was Alysanne, and Dany is Dany, and Dany would be an awful queen. I'm sorry that Alysanne had resources that Dany didn't, but ... tough shit?

Archived