don't forget our baby Ghost... he came in and tore shit up :) as in throats ;)

Admittedly, I clapped and yelled when that happened, Ghost had slipped my mind until then.

It makes no sense to hold off Stannis... all it means is more stuff they gotta get into 70-75 mins next time... So now the finale will be even more overstretched than it may already need to be. I'm sure it will be fine, but it won't be great.

My .02 is that D&D regularly butcher it. Not every episode but on a regular basis, they don't do all that well.. If you have to make excuses for D&D every week, something's not right.

I'll still watch but it just ISN'T that great of a show -- and I sooo want it to be :(

Stannis is getting played down because with all the huge stuff happening next week no one is even going to give a shit about the fight at the wall. As far as tv watchers are concerned the battle is over and won, the wildlings lost.

This episode and the preview for the next one locks in what I've said about TV Stannis since the beginning. He is one of the shows villians, he's not going to save the wall. Jon Snow will be negotiating with Mance about bringing the Wildlings across because the Others are coming and then boom Stannis heavy cavalry comes in and massacres a bunch of Wildlings. It's sad the show watchers are doing this with a character like Stannis but I am very confident in my analysis at this point.

Ridiculous. How is this indicated? The scene looks like it'll be exactly like the one from the books.

This episode and the preview for the next one locks in what I've said about TV Stannis since the beginning. He is one of the shows villians, he's not going to save the wall. Jon Snow will be negotiating with Mance about bringing the Wildlings across because the Others are coming and then boom Stannis heavy cavalry comes in and massacres a bunch of Wildlings. It's sad the show watchers are doing this with a character like Stannis but I am very confident in my analysis at this point.

That's exactly what happens in the books?

Stannis is getting played down because with all the huge stuff happening next week no one is even going to give a shit about the fight at the wall. As far as tv watchers are concerned the battle is over and won, the wildlings lost.

This exactly.

The battle is over.

We know he is in episode 10. It's just that it's going to be incredibly crammed; we have Bran and Bloodraven, Dany's inevitable scene (probably Drogon eating a child), Tyrion's escape and the Tywinicide, Arya abandoning the Hound and going to Braavos, Lady Stoneheart (if she's not here I WILL scream in rage :P) and whatever other loose ends they need to tie up (Sansa, Theon, Yara maybe?). Now they also have to put in Jon, Mance and the Stannis cavalry. There's way too many important stuff in the finale. It would have been better to have Stannis arrive in ep. 9 so ep. 10 can entirely focus on what's happening down south.

And it would have made for better TV for Stannis to save the day after the grueling battle at the Wall.

I was thinking to myself "How can they fuck this up", after watching the Giants, Mammoths, Thorne and other magnificent performances... BUT THAT ENDING!!11!!???? My fucking god... How anti-climatic.

Now Stannis' arrival is going to be played down like hell most likely because scenes like Dany locking her dragons away and Tyrion killing Tywin are going to be in line for being the final scenes of the season. I'm convinced D&D have it in for him....

I'm beginning to think he must die really early in the next book, because they can't hate him that much, can they?

Stannis comes when Jon's talking to Mance you dumbasses. Stop whining.

We know that happens, however, had Jon gone earlier in the episode to meet with Mance and then thy ended the episode with Stannis arrival it would have made the episode overall much better.

The problem for me isn't that there won't be any Stannis looking heroic...the problem is that this was a bad call just in terms of narrative. Now this story has to cut into an already packed episode to conclude the plot of something that should have been finished. It felt like a sudden, oddly disjointed episode. But maybe it's just because we know what happens so that frames how we would want to see episodes done?

That's pretty much the exact same thing that happens in the book.