I have no idea about how D&D feel about Stannis, nor do I think it really matters since this is their baby and they can tell it anyway they want. Still, my big problem is that a lot of Stannis fans lack the ability to articulate why Stannis' arc is problematic for the show. The thing about Melisandre being the one credited with Stannis' decisions is a good point because it has made Davos out to be a completely useless character since there is no angel on Stannis' shoulder to balance out that devil (I'm likening Mel to the devil here). From what I recall, they haven't yet made the shift from Stannis being reliant on Mel to him relying more on Davos.

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Stannis+the+Mannis_841ccc_4632733.gif

Now if I remember correctly the NW only had 102 men at last count. During this episode at least 39 NW deaths were shown, and I'm sure I probably missed a few. (yeah I counted, SO WHAT?) Which means there are AT MOST 63 NW left at CB. Why do I get the feeling the show will ignore this fact, probably having the NW multiply through Meiosis, so that there will be more survivors?

LOL at counting the NW deaths. No wonder some of you get no joy from this show.

After this episode I'm thinking LSH will not be making an appearance.

Why's that? I know the woman who plays Cersei tweeted a heart made up of stones during filming, which many took as unofficial confirmation.

Except that "we" know a lot of other things are going to happen. We know that Tyrion escapes and kills Shae and kills Tywin, given the Dinklage love that alone could be almost half the episode. We know that Arya and the Mountain have to separate and presumably she will take the ship to Braavos. And there is Brienne. And there is Bran. and dany.

How much time can they possibly devote to Jon/Mance/Stannis?

I don't think we are in disagreement because I agree that the wall arc will have less screen time next episode.

My point is that it seems many posters here are upset that this episode wasn't about Stannis or that Stannis is being set up to be the villain, when actually this episode served the purpose of setting up Stannis to be the hero who saves the heroes. I don't know why there is need for complaint on that specific aspect. I pointed out earlier that I would have preferred that Stannis show up in this episode. But that's mostly because I'm underwhelmed with the wall because the pacing has been really slow and just want to get to the other stuff. Still, I would think folks would be pleased that the finale will include Stannis saving the day rather than the penultimate episode being the last they see of Stannis until next year. It seems like the point would be that the Stannis of Blackwater isn't the same Stannis that will arrive in The Children.

I think they made the episode end that way for us book readers. We were ALL expecting the inevitable drums with "Stannis" chants but were left wanting so much more. They clearly will set it up for the first scene next episode.

I enjoyed the action, people needed this and I think the whole point was to set up Jon huge character development of a leader and the way he controlled it all. The fighting he was in was beautiful. Although Thornes part was fan freaking tastic. :fencing:

I enjoyed it, thought they could have cut the beginning BS and fit in Stannis or at least cliffhanger it as him entering form the distance. Not the greatest ever but it was awesome battle scenes, especially once Jon steps down from the top of the wall. The music was 10/10. And did anybody notice that Giants arrow that went straight through that one guy?!? Favorite part

Stannis MADE this decision. Even according to George R Martin. It's the one RIGHTEOUS thing he does. And his moment won't have even an ounce of the emotional imapact it should have had..

Sure it will.... only oh noes I accidentally spoiled some unsullied viewers with the reveal and they were just disappointed that Stannis would be the savior.

It's true they haven't served Stannis optimally but I'm not sure they could have done much better given how little he has to do for a whole book .

Edited by Zman1863

I am genuinely puzzled why do we keep talking about one thing that wasn't in tonight's episode aka Stannis, when there are so many things that sucked IN the episode? Question for the philosophers, apparently...

Wait, so I haven't watched this episode yet, but...... what is this I hear about Stannis not arriving at the Wall yet? What the actual fuck???? Someone say it ain't true. I seriously do not want to have to wait another week to finally see Stannis again.

It blows my mind that posters here have complained for 4 years about the show being unfaithful to the books and have nitpicked every single detail to death, then made up their minds about the pacing of this episode and are ripping the show apart because it was faithful to the pacing of the battle at the Wall. I've heard so many complaints about major events being rushed, but now people are upset because the show didn't rush the battle enough to give Stannis his moment in the sun. I'm a Stannis supporter for the IT, but the first skirmish at the Wall was about Jon Snow. A more prominent, a more important character in the books. The outrage here isn't because the show has been unfaithful, but because the show didn't rush the wall story line and make it about Stannis. There is no logic here. The naysayers here are guilty of the very same character bias they've accused D&D of previously. It's so sad because they won't be able to enjoy one of the most cinematic, intense episodes of television produced to date.

Your not paying attention to what we are saying. Stupid filler scenes like Missandei's or the moron beetle crusher convo last week could have been cut and there could have been Wall preparation scenes...a lot of the stuff that was talk and not the actual fighting.

The storyline of the Battle at the Wall didn't all need to be shoved into one episode. Spread it out over two or three episodes so that the battle isn't rushed and Stannis can arrive. It wouldn't be rushed, it'd be just right.

The thing is i am only engaging those posters who are always pro-D&D, no matter what. I think i didn't engage you.

Who said I am always pro-D&D? Frankly, I'm insulted and offended by your assumptions and defamation of character. I simply made a comment about the vinegar running through this place tonight and you speak these falsities about me.

I am genuinely puzzled why do we keep talking about one thing that wasn't in tonight's episode aka Stannis, when there are so many things that sucked IN the episode? Question for the philosophers, apparently...

you mean like the lack of Sansa? She cant be in all the episodes even as cute as she is. Edited by Señor de la Tormenta