Snip

I'd like to repeat: This episode was a love story to The Night's Watch. I am pleased. There were some great technical shots :

Snip

For the Strangers sake people, not a bad little love story to the true heroes of the damn realm.

I love how you described it, as a love story to the NW. Because that explains exactly why I liked the episode despite it being a bit underwhelming for me.

Yes, but do Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower, let alone their commanders, even exist in the show?

Jon specifically mentioned Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower in 3x5, when talking to Tormund about their numbers, and Jeor mentioned Cotter Pyke in passing in 1x10, so they do technically exist, but whether we'll actually see them is a different matter.

Can we all agree Thorne was the best character in that episode?

Absolutely! Glad they showed why he is a leader in the NW and not just some guy who has it in for Jon Snow.

Fun episode!

Lots of changes, but many were positive.

Loved:

• I've already mentioned Thorne being more of a hero.

I love Show-Sam better than Book-Sam, who is so insufferably cowardly that I can't stand it. I enjoyed the "loop-hole"-finding and him taking the initiative to kiss Gilly and hide her.

I enjoyed the Sam-Maester Aemon convo, but when I realized that it cut into their ability to show Stannis, that annoyed me. Was I the only one who expected him to say that the girl whom he loved was Olenna Tyrell? I know that she's nowhere nearly as old as him, but that thought popped into my

Death of Pyp and Grenn. Sad, but I especially loved Grenn's heroism and the recitation of their vows as they prepared to face the giant. That was very moving. Pyp's realistic shaky hands was also touching to me. Losing 3 people he cared about will have a real impact on Jon.

Really enjoyed the mammoths and giants.

Unleashing of Ghost! Makes up for lack of unleashed Grey Wind in the RW episode! Would have preferred to see more, but I get that the CGI budget was needed for giants and mammoths and such.

I've always preferred Show-Ygritte to Book Ygritte. I liked the fact they kept her death and Jon seemed willing to send himself on a suicide mission in consequence. Didn't care for the way he held her as she died because I was thinking that someone could kill him during that time. However, I did like the last "you know nothing, Jon Snow".

Didn't love:

• Janos Slynt the coward: I didn't think this was realistic for a man who led the Gold Cloaks. However, I was concerned that he would be killed and we would not get "Edd, fetch me a block," but it looks like they may have been setting that up. Execution for cowardice works for me! I was also afraid that he might rape Gilly in the room, so I'm thrilled that didn't happen.

Not ending with Stannis! I am no great Stannis fan, but I was yelling his name from the beginning of the credits. I realized immediately (since he didn't appear in the credits) that he might not show up, but I think it would have been better to cut some of the pre-battle conversation and allow for Jon to meet with Mance and Stannis to arrive. I agree with the folks who say that there's too much planned for episode 10. In my opinion, Arya's departure could have been done in episode 8 (since they have been wasting him with her and the Hound anyway) and Stannis's arrival in Episode 9. Not all the arcs have to tie up in the last episode of the season.

So looking forward to next week.

Potato Dad Sends His Regards

lmao! <3

I love how you described it, as a love story to the NW. Because that explains exactly why I liked the episode despite it being a bit underwhelming for me.

Yeah. It was a great episode to expand on the Wall and show us the NW holding together even after so much.

Do most of you watch with unsullied? Im kinda guessing not from some of the reactions in here. My mother was literally bouncing all over the room going "omfg! OH MAN! DO IT! JON!!! SOMEONE END THAT GUY! (Tormund) OMG!!! WOOOOAHHH! PYP! YGRITTE! OH NO!!" It was really special and fun.

This was worse than Jaime raping Cersei and the beetles talk together...

I'm sorry but, no. That crap ^ plus Craster's deserters has been the absolute worst of the worst this season. I usually agree with you too, Ser! You even taught me to love Sansa! Rewatch it, I beg you! As an ode to the NW in the back of your mind. With no other expectations....I promise you, you will see some merits in it.

I loved this episode. My only gripe is not having Thorne or Slynt order Jon to parlay with Mance. I think having Jon Snow come up with that decision on his own will have some kind of butterfly effect.

Now that I've had a chance to digest this episode, and from reading other boarders' opinions, I'm glad that Stannis didn't appear. :leaving:

Hyperbole really doesnt suit you, mate.

There was a time when I would ask for explanation, but not anymore...

And, btw, as someone who has watched Vikings, I do believe this was such bad episode.

Was this simple enough, dear?

And this was a good Jon Snow episode? I have no problem with Stannis not being there, I have not problem with the deaths, but this was epic failure. This was like wannabe-Blackwater, and ended somewhere in confusion of what makes a good episode with an epic battle. Nothing here was faithful to the books, and that even isn't the issue here. The issue is that this sucked as the episode, not as the adaptation. This was badly constructed, unimaginative, humorless, uninspiring... There was CGI on some moments, but at the end, nothing that would live up to "as big as Tv gets"

Yes it was, it was all about Jon's growing role as a leader. If you think this episode was humorless, I encourage you to rewatch it. The first fifteen minutes of the episode was full of great comedic relief, Sam particularly was a scene-stealer that could give Dinklage a run for his money.

And this was a good Jon Snow episode? I have no problem with Stannis not being there, I have not problem with the deaths, but this was epic failure. This was like wannabe-Blackwater, and ended somewhere in confusion of what makes a good episode with an epic battle. Nothing here was faithful to the books, and that even isn't the issue here. The issue is that this sucked as the episode, not as the adaptation. This was badly constructed, unimaginative, humorless, uninspiring... There was CGI on some moments, but at the end, nothing that would live up to "as big as Tv gets"

This was the main problem with this episode. Right here. The episode tried to be Blackwater in every step of the way. You can even compare the preparation scenes in Blackwater to similar scenes this episode. The problem is, however, that we haven't had a emotional connection to characters in the Wall to care for them, much less to hear their conversations. Instead of sounding like character-building, it sounded like filler. Pyp and Green, as I've said before, are nice lads, but they're only that. They have had less screen-time than Missandei and Grey Worm, why should we care about their deaths? And Ygritte's death just didn't work. I understood what they were trying to do, but it certainly didn't work as intended. Ygritte's death, one of my favorite scenes in the books, shattered. It just felt uninspired, even with a bigger budget.

This was worse than Jaime raping Cersei and the beetles talk together... Not having Stannis tonight was the least of this episode's failures.

I still feel the beetles takes the cake, if only because I felt that time was wasted on an unnecessary scene.

I did get that, but It just didn't work. Their love story to the NW seemed too flashy with no substance. I'd give them two months before their impending break-up.

Disappointed they didn't end with Stannis showing up but set up a good cliffhanger for show watchers. I think most of them will be surprised when Stannis saves them at the last minutes but still, I thought that was a great episode. Great fight sequences and freakin' Mammoths! I thought it was better than Blackwater.

I liked it better than BW, too :)

And doing absolutely nothing of importance.

Exactly...Grenn and Pyp get sent off elsewhere in the books never to return. This way they get an emotional goodbye that adds drama to the show.

I cant see why Thorne wont be named as LC.

Because he dies, because he becomes too disabled to lead, because the men like Jon better...take your pick, there are a lot of reasons why Thorne won't get elected and Jon will.

Didn't love:

• Janos Slynt the coward: I didn't think this was realistic for a man who led the Gold Cloaks. However, I was concerned that he would be killed and we would not get "Edd, fetch me a block," but it looks like they may have been setting that up. Execution for cowardice works for me! I was also afraid that he might rape Gilly in the room, so I'm thrilled that didn't happen.

Quite a difference between brutalising peasants in KL and facing a hardened wildling army with giants and mammoths.

Edited by NightStark