Exactly...Grenn and Pyp get sent off elsewhere in the books never to return. This way they get an emotional goodbye that adds drama to the show.

It also adds a level of weight to the battle that wasn't present during Blackwater. It's one thing that extras are getting killed off, but when known, likable characters are dying it seriously ups the stakes, and will make Stannis' charge that much more impactful.

Do most of you watch with unsullied? Im kinda guessing not from some of the reactions in here. My mother was literally bouncing all over the room going "omfg! OH MAN! DO IT! JON!!! SOMEONE END THAT GUY! (Tormund) OMG!!! WOOOOAHHH! PYP! YGRITTE! OH NO!!" It was really special and fun.

I watch with unsullied, and they were both disappointed. Most of the reactions yet were "Eh, It was sort of dull." Especially comparing after last Sunday's episode.

Forgot to mention-- is it just me or have there been a couple of interesting mentions of "no one" and "no body" this season foreshadowing Arya's future? Per Sam, when you're nobody you're not afraid...

Forgot to mention-- is it just me or have there been a couple of interesting mentions of "no one" and "no body" this season foreshadowing Arya's future? Per Sam, when you're nobody you're not afraid...

That wasn't in the books so it's probably poorly thought out garbage.

Stannis is getting played down because with all the huge stuff happening next week no one is even going to give a shit about the fight at the wall. As far as tv watchers are concerned the battle is over and won, the wildlings lost.

You mean aside from the fact that Jon literally said the wildings will keep coming back and there's no way we'll be able to stop them?

Much like my boy Jon Snow, I can see both sides. First of all:

Stannis isn't the ultimate villain, but he isn't the ultimate hero, either. The battle for the Wall has nothing to do with Stannis even in the books...Stannis only comes in after the battle is over and the Wildlings have won, just like it did here. They needed to focus more on Jon Snow and the rest of the Watch, because if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to convince the audience that Jon's going to be the next LC. Having Stannis come in at the end of this episode would steal that moment from Jon, whose character needs it more than Stannis. Stannis will have HIS moment next week, and it will be awesome. People need to get a fucking grip already and stop bitching about something that they WILL get to see.

I agree. This episode belongs to Jon Snow, not Stannis. It frankly pissed me off that the pre-ep thread was like 20 pages (or more!) all about Stannis even when everyone thought he would only be in like the last two minutes. I do love Stannis, but he is really a minor character.

On the other hand:

It more about having a complete and overall finished episode. The anticlimactic ending could have been easily resolved by having the Stannis storyline in the epidote. People might have complained about there not being enough Stannis, however, I personally would have been satisfied that they had an overall complete story for the episode. Now, Stannis will come next week and I'm sure it'll be fine but it won't have the emotional appeal it could have had had it been done this episode. There will be a lot of things going on in the finale and this will just be one amongst many.

Yes, it is a weird structural decision to leave this episode without a resolution. They could have easily started the battle earlier in order to have enough time for Stannis at the end. Most of the build up in the first 20 minutes could have been moved to previous episodes, seeing as they had THE ENTIRE FREAKING SEASON to spend on build up.

Quite a difference between brutalising peasants in KL and facing a hardened wildling army with giants and mammoths.

True, but I assume that he fought well in some war to get that position. After all, he was a butcher's son, so he had to earn his way up.

Too many laugh out loud situations in this episode. That fucking head nod Olly (SP?) gave Jon after shooting Ygritte killed me, it was so funny :rofl: . Just O.K. as an adaptation; I'm realistic and get the budget issues. At least we did get Ygritte saying her cave line since everything else about her death was funny when it shouldn't have been. This one wasn't very faithful to the books and I would have liked to seen Stannis' arrival this week; there was a bunch of unnecessary filler that they could have taken out to make room for it.

I'd rate it about a C+. Good try, good effort, some cool scenes and some cringe-worthy as well as LOLWTF moments.

I'm sorry but, no. That crap ^ plus Craster's deserters has been the absolute worst of the worst this season. I usually agree with you too, Ser! You even taught me to love Sansa! Rewatch it, I beg you! As an ode to the NW in the back of your mind. With no other expectations....I promise you, you will see some merits in it.

Locke storyline was so moronic... it has to be the worst.

No way, Slynt being useless was great.

Because it set up Grenn stepping up to be a hero. He, we, can sense that the men on the wall are shrinking. Thorne had presence that was holding them together. Slynt has no presence, and it was going to get them all killed. The moment was too big for Slynt, Slynt didn't want to be there. Grenn got him out of there, quickly. Trusting Jon to step up and fill the void, because Jon's been Captain of that recruit class from the beginning.

It underscores the the theme of Jon becoming The Leader at the Wall. And it was awesome.

I kinda miss having no "the wall is yours Jon Snow" but we could all feel it. Better to have no one say it -- particularly when we can all SEE it being said between the lines -- than to have Slynt say it and have it be hollow.

Oh - forgot to mention, Ygritte's death did not have the emotional punch it should have had. I have to say Kit was a bit off.

I don't agree. Compare to Emilia's pathetic, underwhelming reaction to Ser Jonah's betrayal last week---Kit's performance was magnificent in comparison.

Well, I learned a number of things from this episode:

1. Ser Aliser is a bonafide badass and much better swordsman than Jon Snow, who seems to get disarmed when fighting anyone other than no-name hacks.

2. Slynt is, besides an asshat, a total craven, and his desertion will likely be the catalyst for Jon giving him some Stark justice.

3. Sam actually has balls and honor, more so than 99% of the NW. And he got some Gilly tongue. Bonus!

4. Everyone wants, and deserves, a Direwolf for Christmas.

5. Grenn is a hero, and deserved to be seen fighting and dying.

6. Never climb a wall of ice unless you want to be brushed off in a million pieces like dust on a Swiffer.

7. Every time you say the word "loose", you must scream yourself into an apopleptic fit.

8. Aliser Thorne looks a lot like Jimmy Page.

9. Every time Jon sees Ygritte with an arrow pointing at him, he's crunches his face up and smiles; never remembering the last time when she put three arrows in him for doing just that.

10. I know nothing about how this show will interpret the books. And neither do most others around here. And I couldn't care less. I enjoy the story for what it is - not what it should be.