Just saw it again and I liked it more the second time. I've fully recovered from the initial shock of no Stannis. And again, Kit did a fine job. He's beginning to look like LC. And this time around I didn't mind Ygritte's death scene much. Only wish they had built up the Wall story in prior episodes instead of all those damn fillers. And I'm looking forward to the scenes between Kit and Dillane in the next season. And I think I read somewhere Kit saying that he'll do something really out of character (paraphrasing) this season. I wonder what that could be coz he hasn't done anything out of character so far

I do at least. What are you on about?

Don't you remember when Gregor saved the Night's Watch single handedly? And then him, Ros's ghost, Ygritte's ghost, Ashara Dayne's ghost, and Lynanna had a giant orgy, causing the biggest fire the North had ever seen? This is a complete bastardization of the books by omitting the scene and I'm really tired of it. Gregor's agency was completely usurped. He should have at least been able to take control of the Watch and give us: "The Wall is yours Lord Snow" line, before killing all the giants and mamoths with a tooth pick.

Agreed. Stannis will get his moment next episode.

Yeah, but it won't have quite the same effect, I feel. And there's gonna be a shitload of showstopping moments in the next episode that will steal his thunder.

I mean, would the ending of "Blackwater" would have been as great without Tywin and the Tyrells showing up? Personally, I don't think so

On the whole I thought the episode was great, but I think they really should have spread the battle throughout the season instead of doing it all (or most) at once

Edited by Jon of the (Evil) Dead

How is that a plot hole? If you have a book bag full of supplies you need to lug up the mountain, strap it into the donkey. If the donkey gets set on fire and runs away, you have to lug up yourself. If you have a beast of burden, take advantage of it so you can conserve energy.

Yeah, but you and donkey are not of the same efficiency... Here, it was positioned that way that the mammoth and giant were the same. And what's weirder, giant succeeded in such short notice that it is almost hilarious.

Yeah, but you and donkey are not of the same efficiency... Here, it was positioned that way that the mammoth and giant were the same. And what's weirder, giant succeeded in such short notice that it is almost hilarious.

The mammoth was actually trying to remove the gate for good, the giant just lifted it enough to let himself in so he could get through to CB.

Their success depended on getting through the gate, the mammoth was gone so the next best thing is to get through the gate himself and help on the other side and eventually winch the gate up if they win.

Edited by NightStark

Oh and Slynt is totally gonna spin Jon's attempt to kill Mance as "deserting" to deflect accusations of his own cowardice. Which Thorne, injured in the line of duty, will be all too willing to believe. Plus Pyp and Grenn won't be around to talk about how much he stepped the fuck up and inspired them all. Sam and Edd will, of course.

So the election, whenever it comes, should be nice and tight. Even though to the viewer's eye it looks like it should be a slam dunk for Jon. It'll get the blood boiling. Good, Good. :) I was initially worried that Jon was being so awesome it would stretch believability to not have him run away with the election with all these folks looking to him to lead during the critical moments.

Also if anyone knows where to find the GIF of Olly's fooking head nod with an "I GOT THIS" on it please let me know. Legendary.

Oh my God, that was amazing. Pretty much the best part of the episode, for me at least.

WTF!!!! They had time for Sam and Jon talking about sex, but NO STANNIS!?? Not even a minute? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME! This was the only shot of Stannis being the star of an episode! His only shot! Dany and Tyrion and almost everyone else has been the star of at least one episode! I know that he will show up next week, but seriously WHAT THE FUCK? Nobody will care next week! People will talk about Tyrion and Lady Stone Heart and Khaleesi (somehow)! His arrival was going to be an awesome ending! Based on the preview, people can see someone else attacking Mance and it won't be a surprise like it was in the books! FUCK D&D! We have irrefutable evidence that they HATE STANNIS! Someone try to defend the writers on this! I dare you!

The mammoth was actually trying to remove the gate for good, the giant just lifted it enough to let himself in so he could get through to CB.

Yeah, I know that... But, one has to wonder why two giants didn't just lift the gate and people made it permanently opened? This was a plot hole if there ever was one...

The moment I loved (for a mix of humor and cringing) was Jon's face getting smashed into an anvil. Shit man! Then he regained...usurped...stole...backhanded his street cred by spitting blood in Styr's face. Though I was a bit perplexed as to how he didn't have two split lips and a tooth or two skittering off Styr's rock-hard facial scarring.

If the dragon preteens are chained up next season, can they please splurge on direwolf SFX? Ghost running into the fray was awesome but I wanted MOAR carnage. Give me something like the Princess Mononoke scene with the wolves tearing stuff up.

Edited by PhoenixFlame

Oh and Slynt is totally gonna spin Jon's attempt to kill Mance as "deserting" to deflect accusations of his own cowardice. Which Thorne, injured in the line of duty, will be all too willing to believe. Plus Pyp and Grenn won't be around to talk about how much he stepped the fuck up and inspired them all. Sam and Edd will, of course.

So the election, whenever it comes, should be nice and tight. Even though to the viewer's eye it looks like it should be a slam dunk for Jon. It'll get the blood boiling. Good, Good. :) I was initially worried that Jon was being so awesome it would stretch believability to not have him run away with the election with all these folks looking to him to lead during the critical moments.

When Jon becomes leader, he'll still have friends around him to send off even without Grenn and Pyp. He'll still send Sam to the Citadel and Dolorous Edd will likely end up with command of his own garrison after tonight's episode. I see Olly moving into the Satin role as Jon's steward and that should be an interesting dynamic between the two now.

I still say a high, wide shot of Jon walking away from the wall, moving on to show Mance's army, to finally zoom away to land close and tight behind a man on a large white horse looking down upon the entire scene below from afar would have been an epic ending.

So the election, whenever it comes, should be nice and tight.

This, or something similar, would be good. Maybe Thorne is pissed that Jon didn't consult him before going to consult with Mance?