Alliser Thorne was okay for me. He did what he was suppose to do/what was expected, or else he'd be hiding in the cupboard w/ Gilly & the babe. I guess we can safely assume there's no way Slynt can make a bid for LC? Or Thorne for that matter he's seemingly too injured they had to drag him off.

I agree w/ all those who were wondering about the Night's watchmens numbers... I was sitting there like wait how many could there possibly be anymore?

Poor Pyp I did not see that coming. As for Grenn, the Donal Noye moment didn't even register for me at the time. I just knew the other 5 brothers would die and Grenn would make it out. RIP

I was really hoping they did a good job w/ the Jon and Ygritte death scene, which I think they did, except for the fact that it happened in the middle of battle! Anyone could've just walked by and nicked Jon's head off.

I was really needing more Ghost.

Maester Aemon was such a delight.

I hope they start calling that cute little boy who killed Ygritte Satin. Did you see him over in the corner, ears covered, blood all over his face & crying. Man this kid has had such a raw deal these past week/s.

Ughhh that huge Thenn guy (Alabaster Seal) was really tryna f**k up Jon's face huh? Why are people always trying to f**k up this young man's face.

Tormund captured... Book canon? I can't recall

John Bradley for MVP this episode I really enjoyed his performance as well as the material he was given.

No one complaining about the lack of Stannis (as far as I have read) has said a word about the battle being underwhelming on its own, though killing off two of the established and recognizable Wall characters isn't going to help any next season.

Our issue is more with the narrative and wasted time on other irrelevant issues. I'm a Stannis fan, though I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and this episode should have been his moment by rights, as Episode 9 of Season 2 was Tywin's moment.

They will be replaced by Stannis's presence at the Wall for a time, probably Davos's presence at the Wall for a time, members of Stannis's army, wildlings that become increasingly important (Tormund, etc.) Was sad to Grenn and Pyp go but the Wall will have plenty of players next season.

Okay I'm sorry, last thing guys, don't we think that Ser Gregor's agency was slightly usurpered when Alliser Thorne didn't say: "The Wall is yours Lord Gregor?" I'm just a little distraught. And bear in mind, this is before Ros's ghost holds him and says: "Don't leave me alone in this world." I just think Gregor's agency isn't being taken seriously by most readers and I really think that we need to focus less on stuff like Stannis, Grenn, and Pyp, and more on the lack of Gregor. We didn't even get the iconic chant of "Mountain! Mountain! Mountain!" at the end of the episode. :(

The Mountain who still cared.

Jon Snow is that Jack-of-all-Stats type character. Good at everything, God of Pwnage of none. Tormund's hissy fit makes me squee for when Jon gets knifed and the Wildlings at the Wall find out what happened. Tormund's gonna summon his bear mistress from the woods and the Brutaii of the Night's Watch will know fear!

Died laughing at this too... I love that bear fucker. I wonder what it would have been like if he had saved Brienne instead of Jaime. He would have distracted that thing with some sweet, sweet member.

Possibly the most obviously thing in the history of TV.

But no one could've predicted Samwell's rise to manhood (with nary a pink mast!!!!!)

Died laughing at this too... I love that bear fucker. I wonder what it would have been like if he had saved Brienne instead of Jaime. He would have distracted that thing with some sweet, sweet member.

:lmao: The popular Jaime GIF "I immediately regret this decision" would take on a whole new tenor.

Edited by PhoenixFlame

Just watched it for a second time. Noticed in the guest starring roles during the credits that Ian Whyte was in the EP. He was the Mountain during season 2. Wonder who he played? I kinda wanna go back and see if I can spot him.

He's a giant a believe. Pretty sure he was the one in season 3 as well.

Just watched it for a second time. Noticed in the guest starring roles during the credits that Ian Whyte was in the EP. He was the Mountain during season 2. Wonder who he played? I kinda wanna go back and see if I can spot him.

He plays the giant, most likely. He did the giant in the season 3 opener as well. And he did a White Walker too, possibly the one in the pilot.

Brienne: "How are you going to hold him off? You have no sword!"

Tormund: "No, but I have something far better. HAR!"

Honestly the ending was so bad that I can't even appreciate the rest of the episode. So you move a great scene, that would've been a great ending to the episode, to the 10th episode which already will have a million great scenes as it is? I really don't get it. I have to say that was majorly dissapointing.

ETA: Now that I have calmed down a little I will say this was a pretty damn good episode, but I still believe it would have been a much better idea to include the Stannis ending. The 10th episode will be epic, but possibly a little too crammed now.

Edited by Tyrion Hand of the King

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Ygritte death part in the book, she was talking about castles right?

She asks if Castle Black is a real Castle( calling back to that windmill she mistaked for a castle) , when Jon says it is, she starts with the "Do you remember that cave?"

I wonder how Slynt's cowardice is going to come back on him. I wish there was more Ghost. He killed like one dude and that was it.

I expected Stannis to show up too but they didn't get to that part of the book yet. :dunno:

Slynt's cowardice is the ultimate lead to his beheading by Jon, that is the perfect lead on to it...

Is it just me or is HBO making it entirely more convincing by the episode that Jon actually does die as a result of his knife wounds? Seriously, the worst treated character in the show and his stupidity is magnified tenfold in the show, which has also decided to take away his only decent quality (skilled swordsman) and made him into a laughing stock as well.

The changes would make a whole heck of a lot more sense if he is indeed dead, despite our prior knowledge that the way Martin wrote that chapter makes it unlikely. But I almost feel it would be more believable now with the way the show has made his character out to be, even more of a dolt (somehow) than he is in the books. And I'm a big Jon fan, for the record.

I think thats you reading way too much into things.

I dug Jon's Assassin's Creed roll off the platform.

Yes.

Game Of Thrones has given us many great .gifs over the years. I know I'll always remember where I was the first time I saw "ramsay wiggles a sausage at Theon".

However, THIS. Beautiful in its simplicity.

THE WALL DEFENDS ITSELF (with a little help from Edd)

Shit, yeah!! Thanks for that!

Brienne: "How are you going to hold him off? You have no sword!"

Tormund: "No, but I have something far better. HAR!"

Hue.

But Unsullied might need to have had it repeated just a bit.

And in there lies the rub....

The truly great shows of the modern era - Deadwood, Madmen, The Wire, Breaking Bad - didn't need to repeat themselves. You either 'got it' or you didn't. The show runners said it ONCE and then it was up to the viewer to keep up. No spoon-feeding story lines.

Fascinating that the best fight scene in history of the show was in this episode and not the prior one. Kudos to Kit, the other actor, and the stunt team. That was exceptionally well done.

It was technically a pretty exceptional episode. I can't really quibble with any of the book changes. I really did like how Thorne had some redeeming moments. It definitely fleshed out a character who has been exceptionally one note since season 1.

That said, the decision to make this episode 9, with all the associated filler (i.e. Craster's Keep), really undermined some of the story-lines. The Ygritte/Jon soap opera felt a little flat, by no fault of the actors, but rather that the fact Ygritte was a non entity for most of the season other than her brief appearance last week and in the opening episode.

Thats because theyre not watching saying wait hey hey that guy was supposed to be standing to Jon's left not the right!! Why is his hair so nicely done that doesnt make sense for a battle!! God I hate this theyre ruining it!

No one is doing this. You are glossing over why people (legitimately) are complaining about the show. There have been changes and omissions from the source material that have been terrible and nonsensical and 100% worthy of criticism. I know that they can't 100% adapt the books and that's not what I expect. Some of the things HBO have done are noticeably bad though.

To all the StanStans out here, as a Robb and Cat fan all I can say is Bitch Please!

D&D know how to butcher characters, get used to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Tywin lets Tyrion take the black and he makes it to the wall to take stannis' place.