A couple of his men protest

Stannis has them gelded for insubordination

Offers Jon a Lordship and orders him to burn all Weirwoods

Jon refuses

Stannis then burns Jon alive on the orders of Melisandre

STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!

Written by David Benioff and Daniel Brett Weiss

Fucking brilliant.

All the people saying this episode is bullshit, you deserve to watch a pathetic money grabber serie like the walking dead. Not even have the intelligence to appreciate hard work that the production have made for this epic battle.

Yes the epicness of mammoth and 2 giants was so hard to take.

Drunk Cersei in Blackwater > this bullshit

All the people saying this episode is bullshit, you deserve to watch a pathetic money grabber serie like the walking dead. Not even have the intelligence to appreciate hard work that the production have made for this epic battle.

I am sure that the production of Walking Dead also works hard and intelligently. Why are you not appreciating that?

In terms of tecnical quality this episode tops Blackwater. If you like drunk cersei much more than a pair of giants kicking some ass probably it's only a matter of points of view.

I like drunk Cersei more than Jon and Sam talking about getting laid.

Also Blackwater tops this episode by far IMO.

The problem i had with this episode wasn't just the lack of Stannis at the end- it was the fact that the actual episode was only 48 minutes long, and half that time was spent doing setup that should have been done in previous episodes.

Of course we know that Stannis doesn't show up until the daylight, but the issue is that the show has not paced itself very well this season. Like Martin said, little changes have a ripple effect, and last nights episode was the waves hitting the shore.

They've left themselves a WHOLE lot to do next week. We can only hope that they do each part justice.

Edited by TheWolvesRemember

I don't think anyone is really complaining about the battle itself, which was genuinely well done...

The real problem was that the episode didn't actually do all that much to move the storyline forward, leaves a MASSSSSSIVE amount of things that somehow need to now fit into the finale, and really felt lacking from a "reason to care" in many places.

What went well:

-Jon gets to assume a higher leadership role, but this is something he's already been doing. The single most interesting dynamic of that for me, was when he comes across his friends in the tunnels by the dead giant, knowing that his orders are the reason his friend was dead. That's something of a big growth/leadership moment for a battlefield commander.

-Sam gets to man up, but again, something he's already been doing.

What didn't really go over well:

-Yggrite's death was very detached, and I'm not talking about the acting, which seems to be the common complaint. John and Ygrrite haven't been together for an entire season, and there's been little reason to see her as a sympathetic character this season. I also didn't like how they depicted the kid killing her... Coulda gone over much better/had more emotional impact if he sees her, recognizes her, and hunts her down as she's hunting John down, maybe even being tearful or angry when he fires at her...There could have been real emotional impact of that kid avenging his family... instead it was just "suprise arrow, lol!" and him doing a "sup bro?" to John...

-There's no real resolution from the whole thing, on any real level.... The entire episode was just Orson Lannister smashing some beetles.

Epic half-battle. They didn't finish it, did they? There were definitely cool aspects to it, but it was an incomplete story. If they wanted to break it up so that the interpersonal stuff could shine through, then they shouldn't have lumped the attacks together in the first place. They wanted an extravaganza for Episode 9, but for it to be effective we either needed the complete battle, or pairing down some of the ridiculous visuals so that the poignant deaths (Ygritte) could actually have time to breathe. IMO they should have split this up into 3 battles like in the books, had it span a few episodes, and move the Viper vs. the Mountain to E09.

My only guess as to why they didn't do that is that had the duel been in E09, maybe too many people would have predicted Oberyn to lose.

I liked so much about this episode, but it just felt so incomplete that it fell flat. I think this will be kinder on re-watch, especially when I can go directly into E10, but I'm kind of getting sick of needing that mentality about this show.

i thought it was more a realisation that they can't kill each other. And Jon happy that she's alive and loves him too

...or even that he was happy to see her one last time and that she would be the one killing him.

Really, it's a very emotionally complex scene for having no words that it can be read in different ways depending on your view of it.

...or even that he was happy to see her one last time and that she would be the one killing him.

Really, it's a very emotionally complex scene for having no words that it can be read in different ways depending on your view of it.

:cheers: Yeh i thought it was well done