• Orders his men to rape every wildling women
  • A couple of his men protest
  • Stannis has them gelded for insubordination
  • Offers Jon a Lordship and orders him to burn all Weirwoods
  • Jon refuses
  • Stannis then burns Jon alive on the orders of Melisandre
  • STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!

Written by David Benioff and Daniel Brett Weiss

Sorry, you are missing that at some point he will say "dont phisically abuse my daughter" because he is a """"grey"""" character.

A great episode, a great season, an of course a great book ASOS is the best book of ASOIAF. Now I want to watch the last episode and see if the showrunners are gonna show us Lady Stoneheart. This only could be better if Martin releases the date of publication of TWOW.

Those were the fully armored guys who got their ass kicked by a shirtless maniac, also it seems the Ironborn are scared of dogs.

and who are giving up the north not because they split their forces between an attack to the reach, and an enormous journey to Essos, but because they dont give a shit or have less than 50 men all together. Edited by Señor de la Tormenta

I just watched it again. It's still a great episode and a 10 from me. However, it now occurs to me that there won't be time next week for LS. So seeing her will be a nice surprise, but at this point I'd bet on her being cut from the show.

Edited by Sun

Oh lord, the Ironborn weren't afraid of the dogs, that was just kind of their "well this just got not worth it" moment. Theon bit Yara ffs. This was obviusly a lost cause. D&D were trying to create buy-in to her character, so that we understand what compells her next year for the kingsmoot, which I think will be left in. And it does belong in next season, so I'm not sure why we need them next episode.

D&D freaks are cute too.

Ridiculous. anyone paying any attention knows the wildlings still have the upperhand x1000. they were just scoping things out like Jon said. Stannis will still save the day. Almost seems like some stuff may be pushed into next season though. Tyrion/Tywin possibly??

This. Paying attention to the last few episodes, how many times was it said there are more than 100,000 wildlings out there? And how many were killed in the battle? So there's still more than 100,000 out there and the NW lost...40% of their men? That fight might be over, but the battle is far from over. Stannis not showing up in the middle of that fight is fine - my hope is that they don't go back to the wall until the 2nd to last thing next week. Have Jon with Mance...have the horns blow and watch Stannis and his men run through the Wildlings right after Mance says he will crush all the crows. He gets his moment in the sun.

Whats all this bitching? The Watch won that first assualt all on their own. Book purist and their BS I guess.

This isn't anything with book purists...it's specifically about Stannis not showing up in this episode. It actually is following the books from that standpoint.

Really? I thought this place was full of "D&D are great" cult members.

Just because someone doesn't think that Stannis not showing up isn't a crime doesn't mean they are D&D fans.

Leaving Stannis out was definitely the right move. It would all have been too rushed otherwise.

I agree. Since they have decided to add in a lot of filler/additional scenes it needs to go back to episode 1 - and prior seasons - to drive the critique of the sitation being rushed or split. Could this have been handled in one episode? Maybe, but I don't think it would have looked/felt as strong. While I would have liked a better cliffhanger ending - Snow getting to Mance's tent maybe - I think splitting it is going to be fine. Stannis will come in and save the day with his men, the NW will live on and next season we will see the discussions about the castles of the NW being turned over.

Jon's climax for the season finale should have been him becoming LC. Now that will either be rushed or pushed to next season. So in that respect, it deviated from the books. They tried to fit something into E09 that should have been earlier in the season, because they wanted a large, fabulous battle for the penultimate. Which is why they combined two fronts of the battle. If they were true to the pacing of the books, they would have repelled the Thenn-attack, dealt with Ygritte's death there. Then dealt with the siege. My point is that if you're going to mush that together to make a Helm's Deep episode, then you better also include Gandalf's arrival. It just fell a bit flat without it.

I wouldn't say "flat". Rather "incomplete". It's not a bug, it's a feature, that's how the penultimate episode is supposed to be. Ideally, to make you jump from your chair and angrily shout "where is my fucking conclusion?!" at the screen, and impatiently wait whole week for the finale.

Edited by FerociousVeldtRoarer

Woh, they killed Pyp, Grenn and Thorne (probably?).

C'mon...Why all three? I could understand Thorne's death since he doesn't do much else in the books after this. Well to be fair it's the same thing for Grenn and Pyp, but they are Jon friends and greatest allies in the Nightswatch along with Edd, Sam and Satin after he's elected commander. In the show there sure isn't a lot of memorable NW characters left, so why kill off even Grenn and Pyp? Bad mistake imho.

Everything else was pretty much great. Even tough I dislike how they captured Tormund...This is going to make everything way too simple for his sub-plot in the show.

Woh, they killed Pyp, Grenn and Thorne (probably?).

C'mon...Why all three? I could understand Thorne's death since he doesn't do much else in the books after this. Well to be fair it's the same thing for Grenn and Pyp, but they are Jon friends and greatest allies in the Nightswatch along with Edd, Sam and Satin after he's elected commander. In the show there sure isn't a lot of memorable NW characters left, so why kill off even Grenn and Pyp? Bad mistake imho.

Everything else was pretty much great. Even tough I dislike how they captured Tormund...This is going to make everything way too simple for his sub-plot in the show.

What exactly do Grenn and Pyp do in the books that as a show producer you would think "We need to keep paying these guys?" The siege needed to have meaningful casualties, and those two characters do basically nothing later on. In aDwD they're basically forgotten, and I don't think Thorne is dead since it looks like he just sustained a non-lethal injury. I do agree that they need more notable NW characters, but they need to be officers to setup Jon's tension and difficulties as LC.

I wouldn't say "flat". Rather "incomplete". It's not a bug, it's a feature, that's how the penultimate episode is supposed to be. Ideally, to make you jump from your chair and angrily shout "where is my fucking conclusion?!" at the screen, and impatiently wait whole week for the finale.

All the other penultimates had some sort of resolution, as far as episodic narrative goes. We find out the sword swings through Ned's neck. We see Tywin & the Tyrells save the day. We see Robb, Talisa, and Cat murdered. We jump out of our seats because it's like, "well what happens next!?" Not because the story is incomplete.