The biggest problem I am reading people having is this:

Stannis didn't get his moment and now unsullied won't like him.

Which is wierd because Stannis doesn't arrive during the battle of castle black in the book either.

He arrives days later.

People are saying "but Tyrion will take away from Stannis" etc which to me just stinks of a lack of faith in Stannis himself.

Surely a real Stanstan would be thinking "Stannis is gonna detract from Tyrions big moment"

Tbh, who cares what unsullied think of stannis? Apart fom everyone here, who seem to really care what they think.

Jon's climax for the season finale should have been him becoming LC. Now that will either be rushed or pushed to next season. So in that respect, it deviated from the books. They tried to fit something into E09 that should have been earlier in the season, because they wanted a large, fabulous battle for the penultimate. Which is why they combined two fronts of the battle. If they were true to the pacing of the books, they would have repelled the Thenn-attack, dealt with Ygritte's death there. Then dealt with the siege. My point is that if you're going to mush that together to make a Helm's Deep episode, then you better also include Gandalf's arrival. It just fell a bit flat without it.

^ I agree. For the record, I really liked the Ep. But yeah, instead of all those pointless fillers this season (Missandei/Greyworm) they should have actually built the storyline of the attack on the Wall over 2-3 eps and ended Jon's arc this season with him becoming LC.

The biggest problem I am reading people having is this:

Stannis didn't get his moment and now unsullied won't like him.

Which is wierd because Stannis doesn't arrive during the battle of castle black in the book either.

He arrives days later.

People are saying "but Tyrion will take away from Stannis" etc which to me just stinks of a lack of faith in Stannis himself.

Surely a real Stanstan would be thinking "Stannis is gonna detract from Tyrions big moment"

Tbh, who cares what unsullied think of stannis? Apart fom everyone here, who seem to really care what they think.

Nah, I don't think anyone really cares what the non-book readers think...they just use them as a device to voice their own opinions and make them seem more 'important'.

Edited by sj4iy

really thought we'd get some Stannis. I do think that his moment was taken from him. hopefully in ep. 10 his moment wont be rushed. It'll be interesting to see how they fit everything in with ep. 10. Bran gets to Bloodraven, tyrion/tywin, Stannis, Dany, Arya/hound and, I very much hope, Lady Stoneheart reveal. Gonna be a lot!

So when the show goes for the big obvious shock moment - everyone riots

so when the show goes for the book moment - the nights watch's final stand - everyone riots.

The whole episode was underwhelming to be honest.

We've waited so long to get to the Battle of Castle Black, Neil and the actors were literary saying that this episode would be outstanding and better than BW.

This episode even got a poster featuring a HUGE Wilding army, instead we get this shit.

Mance's 100,000 wildling army:

http://postimg.org/image/np0bpw3st/

Here's the massive army that attacked the wall: (I circled them, because even though its a massive 10 people, its a little hard to see)

http://postimg.org/image/9xl84uo8j/

And the huge battle that breached the gate:

http://postimg.org/image/doculnzwb/

And the bad acting isn't helping either. This episode was a huge letdown if you ask me.

Edited by The Red Melli

We've waited so long to get to the Battle of Castle Black, Neil and the actors were literary saying that this episode would be outstanding and better than BW.

This episode even got a poster featuring a HUGE Wilding army, instead we get this shit.

And the bad acting isn't helping either. This episode was a huge letdown if you ask me.

It was massively over-hyped. If it wasn't hyped that much i would have been happier with it.

But no you have had to enjoyed this episode otherwise you are heartless. ( A call back to a stupid comment on this sub-section)

Edited by Stan the Man Baratheon

Manderly will eat them. He needs more Iron in his diet.

Ha!

Will have to be an Umber since people in casting are saying Cogman confirmed Umbers replacing Manderly.

WTF? No Frey pie? No Wylla Manderly? No "The North remembers...and this mummer's farce is almost over"?

Am I the only one who thinks Lady Stoneheart can wait until next season? (especially given all the plots that need time in episode 10) She's only important when Brienne finds her. Also, I don't think there's been any build up to the fact that there is a Lady Stoneheart attacking Freys. I think that's necessary to get the full effect of her.

What acting was "Bad" specifically? Because pretty much everyone did a good job from my perspective.

Will have to be an Umber since people in casting are saying Cogman confirmed Umbers replacing Manderly.

Source? I know he's given a slew of podcast interviews, but do you know where this came from?

Ha!

WTF? No Frey pie? No Wylla Manderly? No "The North remembers...and this mummer's farce is almost over"?

Am I the only one who thinks Lady Stoneheart can wait until next season? (especially given all the plots that need time in episode 10) She's only important when Brienne finds her. Also, I don't think there's been any build up to the fact that there is a Lady Stoneheart attacking Freys. I think that's necessary to get the full effect of her.

I advocated they end last season w/Stoneheart, but in hindsight that was more of a hysterical overreaction to the butchering of Robb's story.

However, the power of LS, was that is how the book ended...leaving the audience on that particular note. Throwing her in somewhere randomly next season, it loses it's dramatic feeling.

More viewers does not mean more quality. The sopranos was a once in a lifetime treat. This might have more viewers, but it is not better.

We have a disagreement about the quality, from the ratings everywhere the indication is that the show is held in high regard.

I even left a link somewhere to an essay that claimed it was the best TV show ever.

Anyway Time-Warner is crying all the way to the bank.

What exactly do Grenn and Pyp do in the books that as a show producer you would think "We need to keep paying these guys?" The siege needed to have meaningful casualties, and those two characters do basically nothing later on. In aDwD they're basically forgotten, and I don't think Thorne is dead since it looks like he just sustained a non-lethal injury. I do agree that they need more notable NW characters, but they need to be officers to setup Jon's tension and difficulties as LC.

They are making room for Stannis & Co.

No idea. In the Wyman casting thread some guy came in and said that In an interview Cogman said he's being replaced by Umbers...then failed to provide any kind of link. Could be a total falsehood...but with Osha going out of her way to mention taking Rickon to the Umbers...and with how they're condensing things to give Sam and Gilly more smoochie smooch...sticking to the seven season plan would really leave no room for the Manderly's.

I advocated they end last season w/Stoneheart, but in hindsight that was more of a hysterical overreaction to the butchering of Robb's story.

However, the power of LS, was that is how the book ended...leaving the audience on that particular note. Throwing her in somewhere randomly next season, it loses it's dramatic feeling.

Yeh, like the Red Wedding was so underwhelming in aSoS because it happened 2/3 of the way through. Sigh.

It's the single most vivid event for me in all five books for me and surprisingly GRRM didn't need to end the book on it to make it powerful.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

Absolutely great episode in my opinion.

Didn't have any really unnecessary stuff like exploding heads or conversations about beetles fortunately. Love how it stayed pretty close to the books, but included interesting new stuff like Samwells and Aemons dialogue or that scythe, which was probably the fucking coolest thing in the whole episode. Pyp's and Grenn's deaths were pretty sad indeed, but since they didn't introduce too many other nights watch members like Noye or Dick Follard, I guess someone just had to die lol.

I actually think that Stannis showing up wouldve been a bit too much for a single episode, but hopefully it'll be in episode 10 because thats certainly one of my favourite scenes of the whole series.

For some reason this episode made me remember that one dialogue of Bran and Eddard in the very first chapter of Game of Thrones. I think it really suits that episode, especially the fight against the giant.

Bran: Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid? Eddard: That is the only time a man can be brave.

really thought we'd get some Stannis. I do think that his moment was taken from him. hopefully in ep. 10 his moment wont be rushed. It'll be interesting to see how they fit everything in with ep. 10. Bran gets to Bloodraven, tyrion/tywin, Stannis, Dany, Arya/hound and, I very much hope, Lady Stoneheart reveal. Gonna be a lot!

This wasn't a Stannis moment. It was a NW moment. Something that has come way too few and far between in the TV series. This was about Jon. And mark my words, Stannis will get maybe a minute or two and that will be it. They'll likely have Jon in Mances Tent while the Wildlings once again march on the wall. An army will roll in and start fighting them and you may get one shot of Stannis sitting in the back watching. That will probably be it. And this forums tears will be plentiful.