Oh lord, the Ironborn weren't afraid of the dogs, that was just kind of their "well this just got not worth it" moment. Theon bit Yara ffs. This was obviusly a lost cause. D&D were trying to create buy-in to her character, so that we understand what compells her next year for the kingsmoot, which I think will be left in. And it does belong in next season, so I'm not sure why we need them next episode.

That was a badly written, and bizarrely edited scene.

From the last shot , you are right, it did not look like Yara and here men where afraid of the dogs, they could have killed the dogs anyway. How did Ramsay know the dogs would not go after him?

The dogs were all in a froth.

That whole scene looked as if had been taken apart put together again (with a missing Ramsay scene) in a few days.

Edited by boojam

No idea. In the Wyman casting thread some guy came in and said that In an interview Cogman said he's being replaced by Umbers...then failed to provide any kind of link. Could be a total falsehood...but with Osha going out of her way to mention taking Rickon to the Umbers...and with how they're condensing things to give Sam and Gilly more smoochie smooch...sticking to the seven season plan would really leave no room for the Manderly's.

Well, I'll withhold concern until more casting details are leaked. But if they do end up doing this, then I guess it shouldn't be that surprising. GreatJon is still alive, so we at least would have a vaguely familiar face. And they did mush the Vale Lords together into 3 people. But you'd think they'd keep the most important one? Manderly had such a distinct personality, and all the White Harbor stuff was really cool. I'm hoping the person is wrong, but only time will tell.

i had very mixed feelings on this episode...

the main problem is i had too high expectations of how far the story would progress...i did not expect 50mins devoted to only the first skirmish...i honestly expected they would show this much in about 25-30mins...then 5 jon with mance, then stannis attacks and another 15-20 mins of battle

anyway, what i liked about the ep -

- GHOST! even if for 2 seconds

- action was up to par IMO

- fire was impressive

- Thorne actually admitting that Jon was right

- Jon's fight against the Thenn, finally redeemed himself as a worthy fighter

- the anchor was amazing

- ygrittes death was done well, not too much time wasted on it

what i disliked about the ep -

- ofcourse no stannis

- too slow progression of story

- no one actually giving Jon the wall, but that he took it himself (mixed feelings about this though cuz in a way, its more mature of Jon to take command himself rather than wait for someone to force it upon him)

- not enough giant/mammoth action

- tormund captured a bit too easily IMO

what i thought was very weird about the ep -

- sams sudden maturity

- slynt hiding in same cellar with Gilly

- gillys baby not crying at all throughout the whole way from moles town to the wall

- less than 10 seconds devoted to Ghost

- why Thorne did not make an appearance after the fighting was done and before Jon decided to go speak to mance on his own

all in all, i would give the ep a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 if im being very generous

I really liked it. Jon said that Mance was just sending a small force to test their defenses. I thought that made total sense and really put the dire circumstance of the NW into perspective since they almost got their asses handed to them without the full force of Mance's army coming at once. Maybe it isn't as epic as the book, but it didn't disappoint me just from realistically what a TV show is going to be able to do. Jon got to be smart and brave and self-sacrificing, so I'm happy. And Ygritte is dead, thank the gods. I guess I'm easy to please.

On the other hand, if we don't get "Edd, fetch me a block," I will seriously riot.

I loved the episode but I hate d&d for pointlessly killing or not even including all my favorite secondary characters. I hope Strong Belwas will become the Prince that was Promised, Rakharo will be the Night's King and Irri, Pyp and Grenn will be the three heads of the dragon. Pls GRRM, that will show d&d!

Edited by Carl Rhaego

Blackwater was written by GRRM and directed by Neil Marshall. D&D had no or little control on that one, which is why it was epic.

You're kidding yourself if you think the Show Runners had little or no control over the biggest episode of their series to date.

- why Thorne did not make an appearance after the fighting was done and before Jon decided to go speak to mance on his own

I don't want to get to involved with your list (much of which I agree with), but this one thing I think can be chalked up to the show-runners wanting to leave themselves enough room for options. They may not want to bring Thorne back for next season, in which case they can say he dies off-screen; this will have the added benefit of removing yet another obstacle for JS' rise to LC. However, they may want him to live, and in order to do that they need him to live... silently. Alive so he can stick around for season 5, but not so alive that he can influence decisions and/or become LC of the NW.

I think the creators are giving themselves "plausible deniability" as to whatever they decide later on. Frankly, I think Thorne's a great character that they added a lot of flesh to over the seasons; he is a jerk and a vicious Taskmaster, but he really is a true man of the watch and his determination is exemplified in his very harsh attitude. At the same time, he is not "vital" to the story so I can see them offing him.

(And, my god, the arrogance of the people who defend everything in the show is rising to a level that rivals the most avid cult-member; disagreement is treason, right?).

All the people saying this episode is bullshit, you deserve to watch a pathetic money grabber serie like the walking dead. Not even have the intelligence to appreciate hard work that the production have made for this epic battle.

Sorry I don't fall on my knees for the people making fat money by butchering my favorite fantasy series.

They did a great job on the episode visually, but when they mess things up, we are free to point that out. We don't own the show-makers anything.

You're kidding yourself if you think the Show Runners had little or no control over the biggest episode of their series to date.

He's also kidding himself if he thinks GRRM has a sudden change of heart and had Stannis become a badass warrior that suddenly leads a van and goes into battle without a helmet, gutting his way through guards and being an overall badass. That's basically the opposite of how GRRM wrote Stannis, but yeah sure GRRM is the sole reason why that episode was great.

Another Stannis man crush that blinds people to everything. I swear the Stannis heads would be ok with it if the comet crashed into westeros and wiped half it off the map if it benefited Stannis in some way. So you'd rather change the events of the book COMPLETELY just so Stannis would appear at the end of this episode? So silly. He's obviously going to show up next week, as he is supposed to and he'll have his 'big' moment. D&D are remaining faithful to the book. Usually they are praised for this. I don't get it.

Lol can't you read? I said they just shouldn't have wasted all their time on silly Sam conversations so that the next morning/day would have fitted into the episode. That is not changing anything, it's just not wasting time. Now it will still be Stannis coming in the next morning, only in the next episode. It would not have been that hard to have in the same episode.

I hope you aren't under the impression that because we have to wait a week for it, Stannis will actually arrive days later. That's not how television works :).

Sorry I don't fall on my knees for the people making fat money by butchering my favorite fantasy series.

They did a great job on the episode visually, but when they mess things up, we are free to point that out. We don't own the show-makers anything.

"Butchering".... Haha. Wow... honestly, what they do in the show changes nothing in the books. Stop watching the show and reread the books. Problem solved.

This forum: "I HATE the TV show! It's awful!!!!" *tunes in every week without fail*

Lol can't you read? I said they just shouldn't have wasted all their time on silly Sam conversations so that the next morning/day would have fitted into the episode. That is not changing anything, it's just not wasting time. Now it will still be Stannis coming in the next morning, only in the next episode. It would not have been that hard to have in the same episode.

I hope you aren't under the impression that because we have to wait a week for it, Stannis will actually arrive days later. That's not how television works :).

So, they should have taken away from some Sam character development for the sole purpose of having Stannis ride in and save the day? Which would have completely undermined the awesomeness that was a few NW men holding the wall against poor odds?

Yeah.. great idea...

"Butchering".... Haha. Wow... honestly, what they do in the show changes nothing in the books. Stop watching the show and reread the books. Problem solved.

This forum: "I HATE the TV show! It's awful!!!!" *tunes in every week without fail*

Did I say there was a problem? They can change the whole plot for all I care, people just don't have to tell me to be thankful for it.

He's also kidding himself if he thinks GRRM has a sudden change of heart and had Stannis become a badass warrior that suddenly leads a van and goes into battle without a helmet, gutting his way through guards and being an overall badass. That's basically the opposite of how GRRM wrote Stannis, but yeah sure GRRM is the sole reason why that episode was great.

People don't care if the show is faithful to the books if the show makes their favorite character look cool. Blackwater Stannis was nothing like the character in the books. With The Watchers on the Wall, people are pissed that the show didn't rush the initial skirmish, downplay the Night's Watch, and make the episode about Stannis. People say D&D let their biases get in the way but if some of the posters here were writing this episode, Sam and Gilly would have been killed by Wildlings, Jon is about to killed by Mance, when Stannis swoops in a dragon, chomping on a cigar and says "Hasta la vista, Wildlings."

So, they should have taken away from some Sam character development for the sole purpose of having Stannis ride in and save the day? Which would have completely undermined the awesomeness that was a few NW men holding the wall against poor odds?

Yeah.. great idea...

They should have taken away some of Sam's character development for the sole purpose of not boring me to death. It's great you think Sam needs extra screentime for his character development, but I don't care for all his repetitive whining.