Rattleshirt has been cast when Jon killed Qhorin. I don't think they will replace him.

By the way, did anyone notice something in the fight of Styr and Jon?

The sucker smashed Jon to the anvil and then threw him to the fire. This looks like he is "forging" Jon like a sword. And the scene ends with Jon burying the hammer to his head.

I think this was a nod from the show implying that Jon is the Lightbringer.

The mindblowing theory is here (a very long read but totally worth it.)

Rattleshirt has been cast when Jon killed Qhorin. I don't think they will replace him.

By the way, did anyone notice something in the fight of Styr and Jon?

The sucker smashed Jon to the anvil and then threw him to the fire. This looks like he is "forging" Jon like a sword. And the scene ends with Jon burying the hammer to his head.

I think this was a nod from the show implying that Jon is the Lightbringer.

The mindblowing theory is here (a very long read but totally worth it.)

I think that's a stretch, tbh. I think they had Jon smashed into an anvil because they were fighting near a forge and they thought it would be dramatic. And appropriate for Styr, a tough and proven warrior, to be killed with a small hammer.

The next episode will be too full to make any sense. I hope they're not going to include any Vale-stuff. One episode would have been enough to handle this battle, I'm very disappointed DnD. I was waiting the whole episode for Stannis to make a badass entry. But no.. sigh..

Stannis would have to be bad assed for that to happen. But he's not.... at all. He's more whiny and entitled in the books than most of the ASoIaF forum goers here. Which says a lot.

How would you get that feeling? it could have been jenny from the block...it's not like he went into any detail.

Mostly it was how he was talking about bold women going after him. After the way the QoT was talking about vigorously coupling with Mace's dad (I forget his name) it just struck me that I could see a young Aegon being attracted to someone very smart and bold in that fashion, a la QoT.

It's thin, obviously, was just my gut instinct.

I should rephrase it to anyone skilled. He's essentially demolishing peasants before he fights Styr; the average Wildling is cake-fodder for Jon. As soon as he gets a somewhat skilled opponent (Karl, Styr) he's disarmed with relative ease to build "drama" that we don't really need. I'm not buying that he loses the sword again only so that as soon as he finishes Styr, which still was a decent fight, he can be unarmed when Ygritte has the chance to kill him to again build more "drama". He's laughably bad at fighting in the show compared to how he is in the books and again, that's kind of his only good quality.

Plus having him mope around to the extreme and then just decide "My woman's dead so fook it, I'm going on a suicide mission" instead of just having a wounded Ser Alliser, or even Slynt, get one minute to order Jon to treat with Mance was just such a stupid plot. Seriously, they're making it very, very convincing that he is exceptionally daft and that easy to write off when the time comes. Show Jon basically deserves it already.

He's a Stark. It is in the genes.

As for why, or if, a TV show needs to build up drama, we'll have to disagree.

Val/Jon shippers won't like that. :lol:

Oh, well we lost Satin so Val getting the cut is only fair...please, not Alys though!

:lmao: Agreed!

"Oh Satin how I love thy beauty, how sorely it will be miss..."

-Love Jon

I was thinking that the Blonde Ufc fighter-turned-actress (Ronda Rousey?) should have a go at Val, she was in the season 4 premier I guess- and I don't know where I got that impression from, but she would make a great Val. I hope they don't drop that role, she kind of has a part to play in all the chaotic obfuscation going on during Jon's "et tu, Brute?" moment.

Okay so I sobered up and gave the episode a rewatch. While I am incredibly sceptical of the decision to cut Mance and Stannis from this episode, I do think that the Battle of Castle Black was definitely one of the high points this season. I think that there was way too much time spent on Sam and Gilly's relationship, but overall, they really managed to pull on a lot of emotional heart strings with various character interactions and suprising casaulties. Alliser Thorne in particular stole the show for me. We didn't get the heroic death many of us were expecting, but we did get a really interesting development in Jon and Alliser's relationship, and I enjoyed their dynamic immensely in this episode. I realize that some people are going overboard about Stannis being absent, but I don't think that this criticism should be entirely ignored on the basis of that. In terms of a narrative arc, ending this episode with a cliff hanger instead of giving it a satisfying conclusion makes the sequence feel somewhat incomplete. There was more than enough time to allocate towards Mance and Jon before having Stannis make his charge, especially given the length of the finale. Seeing as the show deviates from the narrative in ways that are far more substantial, I don't see why giving Stannis his "Red Dawn of the Rohirrim" moment last night would have been a bad move, even if he does arrive days after the initial skirmish at Castle Black. There's still a chance to make Stannis' scene satisfying, and I really did enjoy the episode for the most part, but I guess I just would have preferred to have had all of the Night's Watch scenes resolved in this episode, rather than leave everything so congested in the finale.

When I read that Jon was sent on a suicide mission to kill Mance, it seemed kind of over the top to me. Like "seriously - all this stuff is happening and you're going to be petty enough to send Jon on a pointless suicide mission that will almost certainly fail and probably backfire?" It would feel much more that way in the show because events played out differently. Also, Jon going on a suicide mission feels like a man might respond to watching the woman he loved die, sending a friend on a suicide mission, and being in a hopeless situation with a hero complex.

I felt this episode was a bit of a let down when I watched it this morning but on rewatch I'm starting to appreciate it a lot more. It had just the right balance of action and emotion and some of the shots were spectacular. With a TV budget they did an absolutely amazing job with the fighting as well.

I liked: I loved Jon, probably more so than I did in the books at this point (started to really like him in ADWD), and it was a great way of showing off both his fighting and leadership skills. Some great choreography when he's fighting Styr. I even like the change of canon with him going on a suicide mission voluntarily out of the sense of duty. Master Aemon is always a great screen presence, and so is Tormund. Har! The biggest shock was Allister Thorne, however, I didn't think there was any way for me to come to sympathise with him, but the show proved me wrong. The Night's Watch as such really came into its own this episode.

Nitpicks: The wildlings having a bloody BBQ literally next to the Wall. I get that it makes for dramatic shots, but it was just idiotic - being behind a tiny hill makes no difference when people are looking out for you from the top of a 700-foot wall. I was hoping to see Mance, he is seriously underused - but I suppose there's the next episode for that. Wish there was more of Ghost but I understand why that couldn't be.

It was pretty obvious that Stannis was not going to be making an appearance ever since the episode synopses came out. Who else was going to be that unexpected arrival from beyond the Wall if not Stannis?

I wonder what they'll do with Ser Allister going forward. If Allister had died, Jon will be the only obvious choice for taking over as Lord Commander and there won't any dramatic tension in an election. They already had as much of a quiet moment together as they're going to have, so he couldn't be alive just to have a touching deathbed scene with Jon. Maybe Meliisandre burns him, but I don't think Jon could cooperate at all with Stannis if that happened, so it seems unlikely. So I guess he's alive to lose the election to Jon and be a continuous source of leadership friction.

He's a Stark. It is in the genes.

As for why, or if, a TV show needs to build up drama, we'll have to disagree.

I liked all the Jon changes especially re Mance at the end. And he's not THAT great with a sword in the books, and Styr has an axe with a sword breaker in it, it's pretty much designed to disarm swordsmen.

However, thanks to what they did to Jaime's swordmanship and look like they will keep on with, I feel you pain

Edit/ sorry was meant to be a reply to the person you are quoting!

Edited by SerArthurHeath