I really like the show's take on Shireen and hope they do more with her next season. I wonder if part of the motivation behind replacing Satin with Colin was to give Shireen somebody to interact with. I could really see her seeking out the traumatized orphan.

Having said that, I think he did bring some wildlings with him. You're right, they'll probably have Jon send Tormund to round up some wildlings in the show.

:thumbsup:

He brought thousands of wildlings.

Edited by Paper Waver

I wonder what they'll do with Ser Allister going forward. If Allister had died, Jon will be the only obvious choice for taking over as Lord Commander and there won't any dramatic tension in an election. They already had as much of a quiet moment together as they're going to have, so he couldn't be alive just to have a touching deathbed scene with Jon. Maybe Meliisandre burns him, but I don't think Jon could cooperate at all with Stannis if that happened, so it seems unlikely. So I guess he's alive to lose the election to Jon and be a continuous source of leadership friction.

I've been wondering about this too. If anything, Allister would seem to have the leg up in the coming election. Based on his leading the defense of Castle Black.

People do realise this is a TV show right? "why did the wildlings do this, what was the point in only sending 2 giants? Why not send a few hundred wildlings to help them. Jon getting his face smashed off an anvil and not having his face smashed in is totally unrealistic etc." it's a TV show that's why, most viewers aren't going to dissect the strategy of war between armies, or the damage done to others in battle it's all for entertainment purposes. TV Shows and Movies have been like this for decades, why are people surprised? Seems like viewers just pick up the stupidest reasons to put the show down.

As for the episode, it lived up to my expectations. The scene with the Giant firing the arrow was awesome and the Scythe! Especially when the camera pans behind two people watching it swing across who then just stand there in shock was unintentionally funny. Thorne was excellent too, his comments on top of the wall were hilarious "you cunts!". Also, GHOST!!

I expected to see Stan. And it's actually wrong book wise as he shouldn't have come this early. But yes I expected him and that's only on me. More importantly, the only thing I fear is that is there is so many things to wrap up in one episode.

I'm not disappointed by last night episode though I wished they would have set up the pace differently. But my main concern about Stannis not being in last episode is : how are they gonna manage to wrap up so much in the finale?

Kuddos to the one who said (basically) "it's an adaption, enjoy it as it is : an adaptation". It'll never be the books, of course. And I feel the same way, I enjoy the show for what it is, I don't expect it to be so trully to the books. ADAPATION =)"

Just enjoy, as a bonus gift, an help to "see" the books. But that remain this, just a visual help to the books. And I enjoy it as such.

Can I have next book George now, Please? PLEASE? =)

When I read that Jon was sent on a suicide mission to kill Mance, it seemed kind of over the top to me. Like "seriously - all this stuff is happening and you're going to be petty enough to send Jon on a pointless suicide mission that will almost certainly fail and probably backfire?" It would feel much more that way in the show because events played out differently. Also, Jon going on a suicide mission feels like a man might respond to watching the woman he loved die, sending a friend on a suicide mission, and being in a hopeless situation with a hero complex.

Yeah, I am not sure how I feel about that change.

On the one hand, it makes Jon more heroic, and I guess with Ygritte dying it makes some sense. On the other hand, it removes some of the blinkered hatred we see from Thorne & Slynt, gladly throwing Jon's life away. (Plus the act as planned out itself is not honourable, and Jon's a Stark).

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Yeah, I am not sure how I feel about that change.

On the one hand, it makes Jon more heroic, and I guess with Ygritte dying it makes some sense. On the other hand, it removes some of the blinkered hatred we see from Thorne & Slynt, gladly throwing Jon's life away. (Plus the act as planned out itself is not honourable, and Jon's a Stark).

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

They did that with the Craster's subplot though - that was meant to be a suicide mission. It is certainly dishonourable but personally I like that as well as IMHO it makes Jon more human.

Now I am coming to the conclusion that there won't be a LC election until Season 5. Ugh, just another reason pushing the Stannis scene up was a horrible idea.

It seems reasonable that Jon's season 5 arc would kick off with the election, since season 5 is all about his tenure in that role. If the election happened this season, it would really only be a pointer to "look at cool stuff happening next season!", but a scene with Stannis would probably be better at doing that.

I like Jon going to see Mance on a suicide mission as a response to Ygritte's death (which harkened back to Sam thinking he had nothing to live for before Gilly showed up alive with the baby)... But I thought it was a poor move for him as a future commander. He himself says there's no one around to command anything - I assume he either doesn't know Alliser's alive or else Alliser's incapacitated - and he's leaving the men even more vulnerable to future attacks that he knows are coming.

So while I get that he wants to try to end it himself without putting anyone else in harm's way, it showed a lack of regard for his fellow night's watch members that I don't think was intentional on the showrunners' parts. At this point, I don't see why Jon would make a better commander than either Alliser or Edd, other than because I know he's commander in the books.

I only watched the episode an hour ago and so I'm a bit late to the party.

Originally I thought I might not like that episode too much since so many of my faves are not in it but I was wrong.

And now, reading this thread I do not understand anything anymore!

This episode was closer to the books than most other episodes and now people complain about that!

This episode had a wonderful inner beauty with the quiet foreshadowing of death, the dread, the emotional intensity. i loved the emphasis on Sam, one of my favorite characters, I enjoyed the portrayal of Jon, who gets better and better.

And while I am not one about heroic pathos, I loved that gem with the defenders of the gate, their straightforward pride and determination. First of all here but during the whole episode the show honored the Nightwatch. Before this institution had somehow been presented as run down pile of shacks inhabited by a group of lowlifes and peasants.

But here they were people with a cause, average guys and a girl who grow above themselves and who show what people can achieve when they know what they want to. Without heroic pathos.

Why should I care more about Stannis than about these guys? They deserve their story in full episode length.

And that from me who is more into politics and human drama than fight scenes. Not this time.

Edited by Woman of War

+10

True, Sam didn't get a 12-page sexual contract signed by Gilly, with 4 witnesses and a probate judge, giving Sam all permissions, authorizations, endorsements, and both implied and express consent to give her a soft smooch on the lips.

Same trap Jaime fell into.

LOL. Make sure to get all that shit notarized too.

Can somebody please explain to me the Wildlings' tactics (budgetary reasons exlcuded)? Why was Mance sending small groups of 15 people at a time to climb the Wall/breach the gate? Wouldn't it be a lot simpler and more effective to send his entire force at once?

Can somebody please explain to me the Wildlings' tactics (budgetary reasons exlcuded)? Why was Mance sending small groups of 15 people at a time to climb the Wall/breach the gate? Wouldn't it be a lot simpler and more effective to send his entire force at once?

According to Jon, Mance was testing their defenses.

Looks like it worked, 'cause that handful of Wildlings almost took the Castle.

Tho, to be fair, the NW could've easily won the fight if their cook joined the fight. But dude had to finish his stew.