Really, did you feel that way about the book, that the scene with Stannis was overshadowed because the book also featured Tyrion killing Tywin and the Lady Stoneheart reveal? Get a grip on yourselves.

Unless you expect them to give Stannis a good twenty minutes of screen time, there was no point in splitting this into another episode. He'll get five minutes at most, and if we account for the Mance treaty, maybe trim some fat off of the Sam-Gilly scenes, than there was more than enough time in order to complete the entire Wall sequence and give the audience a satisfying narrative conclusion that doesn't end with a cliff hanger. I like a lot of things in the episode, but there are valid reasons to be disappointed with Stannis' charge being omitted, because it CAN'T have the same emotional impact anymore due to the gap between episodes. With all the liberties the show runners have taken, I don't understand why depriving us of our "Red Dawn of the Rohirrim" moment makes sense, when it really could have added so much to an otherwise fantastic episode. I'm not even so much worried about it being overshadowed by the Tyrion-Tywin stuff as I am annoyed that were no longer in the heat of battle, and thus its thematic power has been severely limited.

Edited by Thelastactionhero

I am agreeing about the abundance of useless Wall crap, which includes the awful (arguably worst ever, Craster's crap), as well as argue that Bran has gotten the same shaft (see Meera's almost rape). Theon, on the other hand, since his future storyline is so tied up with Roose and the North's storyline in general, has received an abundance, which just serves my points.

Mel's, as I have said, was also awful, but a way to keep the Stannis 'people' going with storyline...for the record, I do hate how they have made Stannis' storyline more about Mel than Stannis, but Stannis does keep disappearing for chunks at a time and she is the POV character in DwD so ....maybe they have a plan? i didn't say a good one.

ETA x 2

The thing is that argument for Theon also aplies to Stannis. There enough time to explore Theon mental breakdown, but the ideological debates happening in DG? I don't want to come of as some sort of Stannis fanatic, but it really jarring how his and Jon storylines have been handled, and i don't think it's a question of time so much as a question of quality writing.

The thing is that argument for Theon also aplies to Stannis. There enough time to explore Theon mental breakdown, but the ideological debates happening in DG? I don't want to come of as some sort of Stannis fanatic, but it really jarring how his and Jon storylines have been handled, and i don't think it's a question of time so much as a question of quality writing.

As i've said, I'm not arguing that they've done Stannis well, but that Ramesy and Roose are imperative to future storyline sso they were therefore important.

For those of you saying that placing a scene in the end or during the episode is the same thing, try putting the Lady Stoneheart scene during the half of next episode and see if it will have the same impact.
Both Stannis and the episode could have had a perfect and remarkeable ending, but they probably transfered the last scene to episode 10 only to decrease the glory of the moment. Episode 10 had enough cliffhangers by itself even without this episode 9.

Also, the episode could have enough time to finish this storyline, considering it was too short and they could just add some more minutes and finish it the way everyone expected.
Edited by Metrael

For those of you saying that placing a scene in the end or during the episode is the same thing, try putting the Lady Stoneheart scene during the half of next episode and see if it will have the same impact.

Both Stannis and the episode could have had a perfect and remarkeable ending, but they probably transfered the last scene to episode 10 only to decrease the glory of the moment. Episode 10 had enough cliffhangers by itself even without this episode 9.

Not being a shit, but is this a fair analogy? Stannis' big moment happened in the midst. LS's moment purposely happened at the very end.

Also, the episode could have enough time to finish this storyline, considering it was too short and they could just add some more minutes and finish it the way everyone expected.

I see your point. I felt the "Lysa killed Jon Arryn" in the middle of episode 6, was underwhelming. I should have been at the end of Mockingbird right before the Only Cat Your Sister line.

Not being a shit, but is this a fair analogy? Stannis' big moment happened in the midst. LS's moment purposely happened at the very end.

Yeah I agree with this. The LS moment is built to be an overall ending. Stannis arriving at the wall not so much. This is especially true for the show since D&D virtually told the viewers that Stannis would be heading for the wall in Season 4.

I agree with the Stannis fans that D&D don't like him very much and construct him as an important but secondary character. However, I think the majority of the readership agrees with this assessment of the character.

I'm a tad disapointed. Now I fear the next episode will either be rushed, or things will be left out. Like maybe Stannis coming will be an early season 5 thing? I wouldn't put it past them...hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion and Shae run off together, and tywin shakes his fist at them...but I digress, I'm setting the bar low for next week, in the hopes it'll surprise me, in a good way.

If you really go by that logic, what the fuck were Snow Winterfell & Lysa's Flight doing in the seventh episode of the season, when it clearly happened in last chapter,right before the prologue?

Maybe they should have done that in last episode, followed by LSH reveal. Then how much emotional impact that would have created,you think?

So? Martin also likes all his ASOIAF books & characters. That doesnt mean people cant criticize Dany's flat story arc or Tyrion's whiny guilt trips in ADWD or Brienne's informative but eventually boring Travelogue in AFFC.

I'm a tad disapointed. Now I fear the next episode will either be rushed, or things will be left out. Like maybe Stannis coming will be an early season 5 thing? I wouldn't put it past them...hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion and Shae run off together, and tywin shakes his fist at them...but I digress, I'm setting the bar low for next week, in the hopes it'll surprise me, in a good way.

I said we were all done with Stannis for this season. Nobody believed me. Oh no, there had been some interview in which the producers gave away the plot yasee...

I don't see why the producers would be in a rush to go through the book material any faster than they need to. Jon's stabbing isn't going to happen till 5.9 at the very earliest and might not happen till season 6.

There is more than enough Kings Landing material for episode 10 but we will might get some Ironborn and Danys action as well and the show's title clearly promises that Bran will meet the children of the forest. We are due some Brienne as well and where is Lady Stoneheart? Oh and Arya needs to leave the hound to go to Bravos.

And all that is on top of Tywin getting his comeupance which surely has to be the show closer now.

Well I suppose that sort of throws a wrench into the whole "Only tasteless people would like this episode" when both Elio and GRRM approve.

They'll still find a reason to hate and call those that disagree 'tasteless'.

Well I suppose that sort of throws a wrench into the whole "Only tasteless people would like this episode" when both Elio and GRRM approve.

I wouldn't expect GRRM to ever say (or email) that he totally disliked an episode; the man's no fool; this is a critically acclaimed highly rated adaption of his series, after all.

I've been wondering about this too. If anything, Allister would seem to have the leg up in the coming election. Based on his leading the defense of Castle Black.

Not if they stick to the part of the story where he's abused every recruit he's met.

I wouldn't expect GRRM to ever say (or email) that he totally disliked an episode; the man's no fool; this is a critically acclaimed highly rated adaption of his series, after all.

GRRM liked it before he saw it. Following the show his blog was full of...promos for his theater. Guess we have to decide for ourselves Edited by rmholt

Mel's, as I have said, was also awful, but a way to keep the Stannis 'people' going with storyline...for the record, I do hate how they have made Stannis' storyline more about Mel than Stannis, but Stannis does keep disappearing for chunks at a time and she is the POV character in DwD so ....maybe they have a plan? i didn't say a good one.

If you like Stannis you are in for a disappointment. He is obviously going to be killed off early in book 6 when Mel switches to supporting Jon. Stannis has to die before Cersei's brats because otherwise Stannis becomes the sole legitimate heir of Robert Baratheon and Dannys is restarting the war of five kings rather than helping fight the other.

Honestly, at 10:01 I went through an intense fit of rage (all be it short lived) when Stannis didn't show up, and I don't even fucking like his character! But at 10:05, after my heart attack had subsided, I began to realize that if Stannis would have showed up toward the end, it would be nothing more than a damn ner direct copy of the Blackwater. Very predictable & incredibly cheesy, IMO.

But over all, I thought it was amazing...but... :[ (Grenn...Pyp)... *CRIES*

The LC election will be next season.

I'm still not happy about moving Stannis to next week. With everything else happening, he and his cavalry charge will get a maximum of five minutes. They could have fit that and the Jon conversation with Mance in this episode if they cut out the filler stuff like Jon and Sam convo, some Sam and Gilly, and Sam and Aemon. (I don't hate Sam. He's one of my favorite characters, but most of his pre-battle scenes were unnecessary.)

Edited by Bilbo Swaggins