I think Tormund will replace Leathers as well. He will be the master at arms and translator of the Old Tongue.

I'm all for giving Tormund more screen time in the show. He's an awesome character in the books, and I would love to get to know him better in the show.

Was anyone else annoyed that Jon abandoned the battle to cradle a dying Ygritte in his arms? Definitely not Lord Commander behavior. He could have saved one of his brothers in that time. Why couldn't their tearful goodbyes have happened a couple of minutes later after the battle was over? Why did the kid have to kill her instead of a random arrow? Seemed far to convenient.

At this rate, folks who haven't read the books will have no reason to think that Jon deserves to be LC. They'll probably accept it because he's a main character, but isn't Game of Thrones supposed to better than relying on TV tropes? Thorne seemed quite competent in this episode. Why should the brothers of the Night's Watch pick Jon over him? Other than that he's young, good looking and the main character.

From a dramatic standpoint, Stannis should have showed up, but from a narrative standpoint it wouldn't have made sense. The only way it could have worked is if parts of the battle (like the initial raid) had happened in prior episodes, which would have been a better choice. I've had serious problems with pacing in this season, as well as the effect many of the show-only scenes have had on the narrative. They could have taken out the pointless Craster's Keep sequence and spent more time on the lead-up to the battle, perhaps even had Ygritte's death occur in an earlier episode.

At its best, this season has still been great, but based on how the writers have struggled to weave together a narrative/prioritize in a way that makes sense even with ample book material to draw on, I"m having serious doubts about next season when they'll have to make up even more material and pull of some extreme narrative gymnastics in order for the timeline to make sense.

totally agree :agree:

Can somebody please explain to me the Wildlings' tactics (budgetary reasons exlcuded)? Why was Mance sending small groups of 15 people at a time to climb the Wall/breach the gate? Wouldn't it be a lot simpler and more effective to send his entire force at once?

Climbing the wall is HARD. As the saying goes, it defends itself. The whole plan was to distract the garrison with the huge army, have them on top of the wall, while the strike force attacks from the rear and takes the gate. Even the giants attacking the gate might have been just a feight to keep them on the Wall.

Another thing to remember is that Book Mance did not see himself as some hero or conqueror, he himself he wants to hide behind the Wall. And he would like to do so while keeping as many as his people alive as he can. I'm pretty sure TV SHow Mance is the same way.

I like Jon going to see Mance on a suicide mission as a response to Ygritte's death (which harkened back to Sam thinking he had nothing to live for before Gilly showed up alive with the baby)... But I thought it was a poor move for him as a future commander. He himself says there's no one around to command anything - I assume he either doesn't know Alliser's alive or else Alliser's incapacitated - and he's leaving the men even more vulnerable to future attacks that he knows are coming.

So while I get that he wants to try to end it himself without putting anyone else in harm's way, it showed a lack of regard for his fellow night's watch members that I don't think was intentional on the showrunners' parts. At this point, I don't see why Jon would make a better commander than either Alliser or Edd, other than because I know he's commander in the books.

The thing is, he knows they are coming and he knows they are vulnerable, but he also knows there's absolutely nothing at all he can do to stop the Wildlings other than try to kill Mance. There's literally no other viable option left. If he stays and leads them, they will all die within a few days as the Wildlings continue their attack. This is his one opportunity to try to save everyone, even though it has a low probability of succeeding and will cost him his life (and it would be assured that they would torture him before killing him).

He's doing the best thing a leader could do in that situation, by taking the only real opportunity he has to stop the Wildlings.

Lol if you're getting offended and saying I'm lashing out because we have a difference of opinion and are arguing on the Internet over something I honestly don't know what to tell you except good luck. I'm not being uncivil in any way. I won't argue any further. Cheers.

:/ My jimmies were firmly in place so no offendedness going on.

I'm hoping that Tormund takes over Sigorn's role. I'd love to see him marry a babe, get more lines, and get a Giantsbane (Bearfucker?) sigil. Think it'd be dope.

Yeah im almost positive this is a thing. Mostly cuz Tormund is more lovable and has been featured more in the show. Having him be the guy who winds up inadvertently forming a new house would be pretty cool. I see a lot of Tormund being redeemed as a character in the upcoming season. I think hes going to be one of Jon's biggest supporters (which is in line with the books anyway).

For a moment I was afraid they would let the Magnar of Thenn kill Slynt and not show the death he actually gets! That is one of the scenes I am dying to see! I hope they don't make any changes to it!

the real problem with this episode was the bad casting of Jon Snow, Kit really sucks, a weak Jon, who is seeing what everyone else does with his mouth ajar, all were much better than Jon, even Sam killed Styr without getting hurt

Jon Snow (Kit anyways) has become an absolute beast with that sword. He brought down 4 blows from different directions onto Styr's axe in under 2 seconds, and he looked good doing it. I don't know what happened, he has improved X10. Id say Kit looks to be one of the top 5 sword handlers on the show at this point.

I just saw the ep and I am so fucking angry and disapointet !! the first time in my life when I watch an episode from got and not go and rewatched quickly !!

not just because of Stannis let me tell you what did I saw worng and let me know if you agree

first I thought this episode will finlly show us Jon snow the commander ! the leader !! instead they gave all the awasom scenes and speaches for Aliser thorne !!!!!!!

in the book there was that fucking perfect speach from Jon snow !! we didnt see enough of Jon leading and commanding this episode he was lost same as everyone esle !!

I didnt like sam running away after everyone I felt they didnt know what to do with him !!

all the episoede was fighting without any point I am not saying that I didnt like these scenes I enjoyded but they could have let half the episode with sam going to Manc and show us something about ( Jourman horn - his pregnant wife and her sister ) then stannis arrivil ! we waited along time for this episode then they just gonna split it like this !! I just dont see the rest of the wall events that still to come is fitt to the finale !!

now the finale is going to include the rest of ( Bran - Arya and the hound - tyrion with jaime and varys and tyrion and shea - dany - brinne and pod - LSH ? - the rest of the wall sotry - Jon to be LC )

someone explain this please :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I just saw the ep and I am so fucking angry and disapointet !! the first time in my life when I watch an episode from got and not go and rewatched quickly !!

not just because of Stannis let me tell you what did I saw worng and let me know if you agree

first I thought this episode will finlly show us Jon snow the commander ! the leader !! instead they gave all the awasom scenes and speaches for Aliser thorne !!!!!!!

in the book there was that fucking perfect speach from Jon snow !! we didnt see enough of Jon leading and commanding this episode he was lost same as everyone esle !!

I didnt like sam running away after everyone I felt they didnt know what to do with him !!

all the episoede was fighting without any point I am not saying that I didnt like these scenes I enjoyded but they could have let half the episode with sam going to Manc and show us something about ( Jourman horn - his pregnant wife and her sister ) then stannis arrivil ! we waited along time for this episode then they just gonna split it like this !! I just dont see the rest of the wall events that still to come is fitt to the finale !!

now the finale is going to include the rest of ( Bran - Arya and the hound - tyrion with jaime and varys and tyrion and shea - dany - brinne and pod - LSH ? - the rest of the wall sotry - Jon to be LC )

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/12/122165/2587701-9733518266-13834.gif

I consider myself a "Stan Fan," I suppose because bookStannis is one of the very few major characters that has a genuine sense of dignity, justice, and honor. And, I think that it has to be admitted, even if one isn't a Stan Fan, that D&D have intentionally butchered the character, and for the lamest of reasons: that in order for the show to be "edgy" everyone has to be scummy/insane/murderous/immoral. So, we live in a cynical age, and I suppose our entertainment will be cynical as well.

But, it also has to be admitted that the episode last night was well-done -- not perfect, the books aren't perfect and neither is the show, but extremely well-done. The ending was a little jarring, with Jon walking off into the North, but it was some of the best action tv that has ever been done in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

totally agree, you read my thoughts :agree:

Wait.. so people were hoping Jon would turn gay? Or am I just taking your comment out of context?

Read this :lmao:

It is usually just a joke but some people do ship it.

I don't think he would go gay- too out of character but maybe a little Bi-curious. :P

Seriously, I don't ship it romantically but I do find their relationship cute and I don't like Val/Jon (can't figure out why it is so glorified) so any alternative will do. This is my way of denying it.

Edited by ~DarkHorse~

Common guys! I'm pretty sure D&D are not going to let us down, being fans themselves. We're going to get exactly what we want and in retrospect we'll be as pleased as we now are confused. Keep in mind that D&D are fans, that's why they're doing this show, so why on earth would they be doing anything that wouldn't make sense to us (fellow) fans!?

We're going to see Stannis kick ass; Tyrion kick ass; Danerys kick (dragon)ass; Bran see ass(ess); and Brienne biting the Hounds ass...sorry ear! So lets just enjoy the upcoming show and focus on WoW that'll come out 12/14!(?)!(?)!

Having only watched the episode about 2 hours ago but hearing this morning that Stannis fans were pissed I was actually expecting that the Nights Watch annihilate the wildlings or that the Baratheons come storming in while he broods in Dragonstone threatening to kill Davos for his own failings for the 100th time.

No character has been treated as shoddily as Stannis by GOT but I can't believe that people are complaining that he didn't appear. Unless the above happens next episode I'd reason he'll have more screen time in ep10 than the last couple of mins of 9.

Thanks for agreeing Jon was right about the gate, Thorne. A little too late don't we think.

And he was a dick about it- but yea at least he acknowledged he was wrong!

I am still chuckling with the 'Ginger Minge' comments. But poor Ygritte - You know sweet f**k all Jon Snow!