Jon roll over the fire and did't burn. R+L=J ' s foreshadow?

Loved Ghost being avaible to do what greywind couldn't :defending his stark.,

And It broke my heart grenn and pip's deaths.

ygritte dead was well done.

And, I would had preffered the stannis's ending, but I don't hate the episode for not ending in that way.

As insufferable as the Stannis fanatics are, I feel their pain.

Even if next week the show managed to recreate the sort of tension that would have made his arrival rewarding, the explosion of anger online means that the moment already will have been spoiled for millions of viewers. A shame.

What an odd choice.

Honestly the people on this site are doing a really good job of making everyone else hate stannis. It's pretty obvious there isn't enough time for Jon to meet with mance and for stannis to show up. They couldn't wrap that up in the 7 or 8 minutes hbo would give them. Hbo only lets shows go overtime in finales.

I agree other things made up for it; I am happy Sam got some happiness for one. Sad that they killed off other characters, next week should be quite awesome I hope since this one was so short.

Oh definitely, I really did like the episode but I do have some legitimate (legitimate) qualms about it. What you mentioned and Ghost were some of my favorite things and Jon did well overall. However, having an anticlimactic ending and a so so Ygritte death scene took away from the episode.

The episode didn't show one scene and suddenly it's the worst show on television.

Anyone who says that is an idiot. For me, the end cliffhanger was just one of several reasons I felt underwhelmed by the episode.

Yeah, the Ygritte death grief recovery time for Jon was not smooth.

I don't think he was recovered at all. To me it felt like Jon was going on a suicide mission because he was so grief-stricken

Between Dany, KL and Cersei, Tyrion, Arya and the Hound, Brienne and Pod, Hound and Arya, LF and Sansa, and anyone else I am missing….Davos, Jaime, Bran and the Reeds...

Sadly, I would not be surprised if Stannis gets 4 minutes tops next week. And LS…well, it better happen. I have non-reader peeps that are going to flip the hell out over the LS thing. And I am dying to see how she looks.

I knew it. Stannis is the ultimate villain in the eyes of D&D. Gods they hate him.

Stannis isn't the ultimate villain, but he isn't the ultimate hero, either. The battle for the Wall has nothing to do with Stannis even in the books...Stannis only comes in after the battle is over and the Wildlings have won, just like it did here. They needed to focus more on Jon Snow and the rest of the Watch, because if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to convince the audience that Jon's going to be the next LC. Having Stannis come in at the end of this episode would steal that moment from Jon, whose character needs it more than Stannis. Stannis will have HIS moment next week, and it will be awesome. People need to get a fucking grip already and stop bitching about something that they WILL get to see.

We know that happens, however, had Jon gone earlier in the episode to meet with Mance and then thy ended the episode with Stannis arrival it would have made the episode overall much better.

I just assumed they would allow more than 51 min. for this episode

I was surprised to the the 51 min., but even as the episode closed I thought the whole story could have been packed in... what happened to the extra time promised before, was it season 3?

Ep 10 is going to be jam packed, apparently with a VFX budget bigger than this episode.

You know what? Fuck everybody saying "chill out", "you're butthurt... uhhh".

This episode you could feel people feeling for the watch, actually caring about them. As far as watchers know, it's over. The climax of the scene is gone and done. Next week is Stannis arriving AFTER the real mess is over too. It's not about "but it happens in book in this way!". In BOOK works. In TV, it doesn't work. It's a different media. They change things to the point to kill people who is still alive in the books (because cheap bastards, don't want to pay the actors next year), and they can't simply moves things a bi t so they can fit Stannis's arrival to THIS episode who only last around 50minutes?

I said nothing. I said to myself "ok, let's not overreact: HBO will make up for everything in ep. 9". And they simply didn't even include stannis in the episode.

99% of comments in the TV threads are whining about a change from the books. D&D did NOT change the sequence from the books for this episode... Stannis shows up later, after the first attack on the Wall, when Jon has gone to parlay with Mance. Now 99% of the comments about this episode are whining that D&D followed the books?

I thought it was an excellent episode. I particularly liked Aemon's chat with Sam, Slynt being a wussy, seeing Ghost again, and Ollie's little nod at Jon after he killed the woman who killed his father.

Sheesh let Jon have his moment, just like in the books. Stannis will get his later, just like in the books.

Edited by Fool of a Book