Favourite part of the episode was Jon horrified at seeing Ygritte with an arrow sticking out of her and looking over to see Ollie nodding at him proudly, like "You're welcome." It was weirdly hilarious.

Yes, it certainly was. I did a slow clap.

it cuts both ways at least he doesn't churn out like a hack writer wanting to keep his audience but at the same time you want it NOW.

Absolutely! He takes the time to inter weave a very complex story which is amazing but he does (understandably) take a long time and I want to know what happens. I'm impatient. :D

Anyhow, back to the episode. I really liked the Aemon scene were he discusses his past. It was sort of lovely.

Stannis didn't arrive during this fight, lol... ugh people commmmon.,

Right...

The battle happens and then Jon is sent to treat with Mance. At that point stanis arrives. Remember, jon was placed in the ice cells because of the guys from eastwatch.

I have a feeling that Lady Stoneheart is gonna be an opening scene for season 5.......

Nope, and here's why.

1. All the cast members say they wish Lady Stark would come back to life at the premiere during interviews (lol)

2. Lena Headley hinted that they were keeping in the Oberyn head smash with her photo of her pushing in Pedro's eyes, she also posted a stone heart.

Absolutely! He takes the time to inter weave a very complex story which is amazing but he does (understandably) take a long time and I want to know what happens. I'm impatient. :D

Anyhow, back to the episode. I really liked the Aemon scene were he discusses his past. It was sort of lovely.

I liked that too he is also quite spry for a 102 year old man :).

Sweet Gerd. This fandom...

Stannis comes when Jon's talking to Mance you dumbasses. Stop whining.

Jon proves himself in the first invasion, Stannis doesn't show up at the Wall til after the parlay with Mance... why are people whining about this?

Jon finally kicks ass and shows his leadership skills, and all you can think about is Stannis? Come on now.

SERIOUSLY! I expected Stannis at the end of the episode too, but you dont see me tantruming about it do you? Its going to happen next week. Just...wow. You guys...i cant even...

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy48/theseacaptain/1269036483113.gif

They were just beginning a possible negotiation when Stannis showed up. That was the whole "are you a true king" thing was all about. If Mance wasn't going to bend the knee and wasn't going to stop attacking the wall, would he have been able to control his people south of the wall. Then boom, Stannis attacks. Which is exactly what that poster described so it's weird that he's all butthurt that the show might turn out to be pretty true to the actual scene.

Indeed.

Also this:

I'm so confused about why the fanatics are worried that Stannis will have lost his moment. If anything, the show went out of it's way to set up Stannis being some hero. They set up Jon looking as the hero of battle numero uno who talks to other heros of the battle about how they are totally fucked because Mance still so greatly outnumbers them, then our hero Jon goes off into the sunset to meet with Mance without wolf or weapon totally thinking he's going to die and he'll be surrounded by giants and mammoths and 100k wildlings and it will look impressively sinister for Jon until suddenly, this dude comes out of the trees and saves the fucking day. That's a better set up for Stannis in the books because this time, Jon volunteered rather than where he was forced to do it in the books. He's walking out there like a boss and if the negotiation doesn't go well, he's dead. Of course, Jon may likely be negotiating with Mance, like he was in the books, when Stannis shows up, but still...come on. How much more of a "stannis saves the day" set up do you fanatics need? Get a grip.

Honestly, I didn't like this episode. There's something about this episode that feels off - And for certain It can't compare to Blackwater. You can see in this one that there was more budget involved, but Blackwater had actual stakes and had tons of characters beloved and known by the Unsullied. Honestly, as much as Grenn and Pyp are nice boys, I couldn't care for them the same as I cared for other characters in the show.

I don't think focusing on the Wall was honestly a good idea - The finale is going to be crammed. I mean, Stannis didn't even showed up! Stannis is not my favorite character, but this episode could have been edited to end with Jon/Mance and their parlay and Stannis arriving at the Wall. Also, Ygritte's death had no emotional impact, especially compared to it's book counterpart. Rose Leslie tried, but Kit decided to go full-out grumpy cat expression.

no dude, Im saying that if you wanted him "to save the day" today was "the day".

Next week "day" is a different "day". With an other morning, mid day, afternoon and evening that have nothing to do with it.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were familiar with the "save the day" idiom. It doesn't literally mean saving the actual day that something happened. It means solving a problem when something bad is expected.

So do you think Mance not being able to negotiate and have the upper is a good or bad thing?

I think it depends on perspective. Mance has the upper hand in the negotiation because his force will eventually overwhelm the watch, unless the watch lets them through the wall wherein Mance can maintain leadership of his horde. But after the Stannis attack, Mance loses that upper hand so if he wants to get through, there needs to be some knee bending. It all depends on whether or not who the viewer feels the most sympathy with. It appears they set it up so that the most sympathy goes towards the watch so any plot where the wildling horde isn't free to reap and raid south of the wall and possibly overtake the watch is probably what the typical viewer wants. I mean, viewers aren't usually on the cannibal train, unless it's Hannibal, the Mads Mikkelson version.

Edited by Dr. Pepper

Could anyone imagine a final shot that went along the lines of a view from on high of the entire wilding army camp, as the camera peels away and back down to ground level to land behind a man on a large white horse overlooking that same army?

Exactly how much time has pasted since the RW in the show? In the book, I think it was only 3 days till LS but it seems like much more time has passed, which makes her appearance even less believable. But I guess majic is majic

Favourite part of the episode was Jon horrified at seeing Ygritte with an arrow sticking out of her and looking over to see Ollie nodding at him proudly, like "You're welcome." It was weirdly hilarious.

The sword fighting with Kit looked awesome.

Yes, Kit's a master with sword.

No Stan, it's not a real possibility, we got a shot of Mel at CB in one of the earliest trailers. The arrival will be the same as it would have been had it been in this episode. I imagine we'll get that and his convo with Jon.

Not expecting anything good from D&D for Stannis. He will probably Mel's playdog in whatever screentime he appears.

Honestly, I didn't like this episode. There's something about this episode that feels off - And for certain It can't compare to Blackwater. You can see in this one that there was more budget involved, but Blackwater had actual stakes and had tons of characters beloved and known by the Unsullied. Honestly, as much as Grenn and Pyp are nice boys, I couldn't care for them the same as I cared for other characters in the show.

I don't think focusing on the Wall was honestly a good idea - The finale is going to be crammed. I mean, Stannis didn't even showed up! Stannis is not my favorite character, but this episode could have been edited to end with Jon/Mance and their parlay and Stannis arriving at the Wall. Also, Ygritte's death had no emotional impact, especially compared to it's book counterpart. Rose Leslie tried, but Kit decided to go full-out grumpy cat expression.

Given how they have truncated the Wall story for 4 seasons, if ever there was a time to truncate the wall story, this was it. And have less set up, a lot less Gilly and Sam, start the battle sooner and then have Stannis show up at the end.

Because, it will be a miracle if the wall gets more than 5 minutes in the finale.

Exactly how much time has pasted since the RW in the show? In the book, I think it was only 3 days till LS but it seems like much more time has passed, which makes her appearance even less believable. But I guess majic is majic

It's months after the RW when we see LS. Thoros just tells you they found her 3 days later.

When we see her she'll already be back alive.

This episode would have to be close to 90 minutes to get the Stannis/Mance scenes in.

We got the first phase of the battle this week, we'll get the second next week.

I assume the election will be saved for next season.

Given how they have truncated the Wall story for 4 seasons, if ever there was a time to truncate the wall story, this was it. And have less set up, a lot less Gilly and Sam, start the battle sooner and then have Stannis show up at the end.

Because, it will be a miracle if the wall gets more than 5 minutes in the finale.

Yeah, Jokes about Stannis not being around to save the wall aside, it will be a VERY quick scene. and that just sucks.