Given how they have truncated the Wall story for 4 seasons, if ever there was a time to truncate the wall story, this was it. And have less set up, a lot less Gilly and Sam, start the battle sooner and then have Stannis show up at the end.

Because, it will be a miracle if the wall gets more than 5 minutes in the finale.

Yes, they spent far too much time on Sam and Gilly. Not saying I didn't like the scene but considering how they could have had more time to show Jon/Mance parley and then Stannis, I think they could have tightened the episode better

Gotta love how Stannis fans are made out to be the crazies in this thread. We have the right to be ticked off. He has had basically nothing to do for nearly two full seasons. And any of the actual things Stannis does are instead credited to Melisandre in the show.

D&D hate Stannis, and they do a good job of butchering his character. Any time they actually devote to his storyline is mostly just Melisandre. He is made to be a completely unlikeable and all of the brains behind the operation are not his but the Red Priestess.

You are 100% correct. D&D crazies keep painting Stan fans are lunatics and whatnot.

I cheered at the following moments:

Jon Snow taking charge like a boss

MAMMOTHS

Ghost being released to wreak havoc

Edd taking charge like a boss

that fucking scythe thing they released to "shave" the wildlings off the wall!

and #1 for me...

Grenn and the others saying their vows valienty in the face of certain death... so brave and EPIC!

the ending was anti-climactic, probably because i had my hopes up from reading too much speculation on the forums.

Soooooo looking forward to Bran/Bloodraven. Episode 10s final scene will either be Tyrion's revenge (maybe a satyrical version Reins of Castamere for end credits?) or a badass reveal of LS. I picture the Season 5x01 opener to be Cercei looking at Tywin's stinking, smiling corpse...

It blows my mind that posters here have complained for 4 years about the show being unfaithful to the books and have nitpicked every single detail to death, then made up their minds about the pacing of this episode and are ripping the show apart because it was faithful to the pacing of the battle at the Wall. I've heard so many complaints about major events being rushed, but now people are upset because the show didn't rush the battle enough to give Stannis his moment in the sun. I'm a Stannis supporter for the IT, but the first skirmish at the Wall was about Jon Snow. A more prominent, a more important character in the books. The outrage here isn't because the show has been unfaithful, but because the show didn't rush the wall story line and make it about Stannis. There is no logic here. The naysayers here are guilty of the very same character bias they've accused D&D of previously. It's so sad because they won't be able to enjoy one of the most cinematic, intense episodes of television produced to date.

Really disappointed. There were a couple of "oh cool" moments but beyond that. We lost Grenn & Pyp, Alliser was somehow supercool dude and Ygritte felt kind of forced. Somehow the circumstances in the books - finding her without knowing who'd shot the arrow and all that - seemed more appropriately tragic. I know it's only an adaptation but jeez. And then no Stannis at the end. Quite frankly I'd say this is one of the poorer episodes this season, and Blackwater knocks it out of the park by a long shot.

In terms of pure scale and the entertainment value of the action, I'd put this episode over Blackwater by a considerable amount.

There were some fantastic moments in this episode like Ghost, Jon Snow and the music hitting when he gets into BAMF mode, Ygritte's death and that amazing panoramic shot.

But ... I felt so underwhelmed by the ending.

They spent way too long on "the calm before the storm." We were about halfway in before any of the action even started.

And how is there even anyone left to defend the wall? We have Jon Snow, Bowen Marsh and Sam ... an maybe Thorne? Seriously. There has to be about fifty men of the watch left.

You forgot Gilly. She's lethal with that ham.

Edited by Boggsy Cyvasse

Lol. Stannis isn't Macgyver, yo.

The typical viewer is left with the suspense of what's going to happen to Jon, as he's walking into the ticking bomb at the end of this episode.

Except that "we" know a lot of other things are going to happen. We know that Tyrion escapes and kills Shae and kills Tywin, given the Dinklage love that alone could be almost half the episode. We know that Arya and the Mountain have to separate and presumably she will take the ship to Braavos. And there is Brienne. And there is Bran. and dany.

How much time can they possibly devote to Jon/Mance/Stannis?

Edited by Cas Stark

Gotta love how Stannis fans are made out to be the crazies in this thread. We have the right to be ticked off. He has had basically nothing to do for nearly two full seasons. And any of the actual things Stannis does are instead credited to Melisandre in the show.

D&D hate Stannis, and they do a good job of butchering his character. Any time they actually devote to his storyline is mostly just Melisandre. He is made to be a completely unlikeable and all of the brains behind the operation are not his but the Red Priestess.

I have no idea about how D&D feel about Stannis, nor do I think it really matters since this is their baby and they can tell it anyway they want. Still, my big problem is that a lot of Stannis fans lack the ability to articulate why Stannis' arc is problematic for the show. The thing about Melisandre being the one credited with Stannis' decisions is a good point because it has made Davos out to be a completely useless character since there is no angel on Stannis' shoulder to balance out that devil (I'm likening Mel to the devil here). From what I recall, they haven't yet made the shift from Stannis being reliant on Mel to him relying more on Davos.

Lol what were people expecting? Jon sitting in the command chair of Castle Black with a bottle of poison with the little boy or Sam sitting on his lap telling the story of the brave wolf then Stannis to walk in with Davos and Salla at his side saying "The battle is over, we have won."

This.

Stannis showing up at the end of the episode would have felt like a deja vu for the show watchers, not the "epic reveal", if you think about it.

Edited by meeh

Except that "we" know a lot of other things are going to happen. We know that Tyrion escapes and kills Shae and kills Tywin, given the Dinklage love that alone could be almost half the episode. We know that Arya and the Mountain have to separate and presumably she will take the ship to Braavos. And there is Brienne. And there is Bran.

How much time can they possibly devote to Jon/Mance/Stannis?

1 mins for Stannis should be good. It's D&D after all.