[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

My friend really liked it a lot. He figured out pretty quickly that Ygritte was going to die in the battle, and he really enjoyed Maester Aemon's scene with Sam. Grenn & Co. going after the giant was his favorite part.

I asked him what he thinks is going to happen next, though, and he said that he thinks that Stannis is going to attack King's Landing again, and that's how Tyrion will escape (in the chaos). He also is worried that Jon is going to be attacked by White Walkers while trying to get Mance.

My SO originally thought that:

Sam and Gilly would die horrifically during the episode.

At the end, she thinks that:

Thorne is dead.

Jon Snow will die.

Pyp's death was sadder than Ygritte's.

Ygritte's death was very underplayed.

The best scene was Grenn and the other Night's Watchers reciting their vows before the giant attacked, although she thinks it was stupid for them not to have bows and arrows/fire with them.

She loves and hates Alliser Thorne and is very confused about how to feel.

Janos Slynt is a jerk.

No idea what might happen in the next episode. I hope Stannis comes as a pleasant shock!

My friends and I were so hyped up the entire time. They were sure Sam was going to die. Probably because that's what D&D wanted them to think, what with all the "don't die on me" talk, right after "today is not the day I die" from Oberyn. They thought the scythe was awesome, and a few of them forgot the wildlings had giants. Big cheer at Styr's death. They thought it was Sam who shot Ygritte until the shot panned to Olly, who they said was the hardest working kid ever. Oh, and during the Thorne/Tormund fight, they were confused why they did the whole attack around the pillar thing. It was kinda weird.

People were not feeling this episode in my house. About halfway through it my dad said: "Is this gonna be just the Wall guys", and I said, "Guess so", and then he went to brush his teeth and came back when it was ending

My mom liked well enough, but my gf was pissed that there was no Stannis on sight

My boyfriend liked the fact that it was an episode more centered on just one storyline, even though the Wall isn't his favorite storyline.

Last year he raged when Jon Snow left Ygritte, but when she died he was just kind of like "meh." I asked him what the deal was, and as I predicted he said "I cared when they were together, but they've been apart for so long that I stopped caring." Just another example of how the creators missed out on a big emotionally impacting moment by cramming everything into one episode and not killing her off sooner.

He felt the ending was anticlimactic too, and he is completely unaware that Stanis is supposed to turn up at the end.

An unsullied friend of mine loved the episode, all the action -- but when it ended, asked me why they "wasted a whole episode on the Wall, when it's really not important."

After I explained the importance of 100,000 wildlings getting South, not to mention the WW are around again, he conceded its importance, but followed up with this:

"The battle was great, but it seemed like an hour just to showcase Jon Snow and kill some people. Nothing really happened."

Oh, and during the Thorne/Tormund fight, they were confused why they did the whole attack around the pillar thing. It was kinda weird.

Haha in that instance I thought to myself that Ser Alliser has some ninja skills. :)

So far I have only talked to two unsullied who saw the episode.

First guy: Damn. That episode sucked. Worst episode of the season, by far! I expected more.

-He also thinks that Jon will die by Mance but they won't show it until next season - for some reason :dunno:

Second guy: Best episode ever. Soo awesome! I thought Jon would die as he held Ygritte :eek:

-He thinks that Jon will somehow survive the meeting with Mance and is looking forward to the next episode.

My MIL loved it and was wanting me to tell her what happens next because she thinks Jon will die. She guessed Ygritte would die (not hard to figure out) but was shocked by Pip and Grenn.

My friend loved it and wanted to watch it again immediately XD

Yeah looking at the unsullied reactions I episodes 8 and 9 should have been switched.

Y'know, thats a great point. If they had switched the two episodes, so much could have been improved:

- Compressed the amount of time Ygritte and Jon have been apart.

- Kept the whole 'episode 9 includes a shocking death that shakes up the plot' thing going.

- Could have paced out the aftermath of the battle better, putting some stuff in 'mountain and viper.'

My dad theorized that King's Landing will get word of all the chaos at Castle Black and finally decide to send men to help and that Tyrion will be allowed to go with them to join the Watch.

I thought this was kind of a cool guess (not sure how fast Ravens are though) and sort of makes sense for the unsullied how a Wall-centric episode follows a huge cliffhanger on Tyrion's life.

He also was like... did Alisser (not that he knew his name) actually die though?

Archived