[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

I feel bad for them that they can't follow the characters by name and understand how things come together..

For instance, one guy I talked did not know Janos Slynt's back story or his name. He just thought he was some leader at the Wall who was a coward. Since Slynt's arc is one of the few examples of ACTUAL justice in the whole damn story, I feel bad that he will miss it.

Also, he was mad that the whole episode was at the Wall, likely because because he is not getting the overall significance of it in the story.

He didn't understand where Jon was going at the end either, for some reason.

I feel bad for them that they can't follow the characters by name and understand how things come together..

For instance, one guy I talked did not know Janos Slynt's back story or his name. He just thought he was some leader at the Wall who was a coward. Since Slynt's arc is one of the few examples of ACTUAL justice in the whole damn story, I feel bad that he will miss it.

I for once thought they managed it quiet well, because a friend of mine actually got it, because they inserted the part where he complains that back in KL he had "real" men to fight and now just a bunch of criminals, so it's all their fault.

My hubby just kept saying "Ygritte is crazy! Somebody kill her already!" Then she died and he got quiet. lol

He didn't say much else, we were just both on the edge of our seats the whole episode. My mom was disappointed that it was only at the Wall. @@ She doesn't like an episode if it doesn't have Arya in it. My Dad loved it and he's ready for Stannis. He hasn't read the books, but he reads the Wiki.

Y'know, thats a great point. If they had switched the two episodes, so much could have been improved:

- Compressed the amount of time Ygritte and Jon have been apart.

- Kept the whole 'episode 9 includes a shocking death that shakes up the plot' thing going.

- Could have paced out the aftermath of the battle better, putting some stuff in 'mountain and viper.'

Honestly, I think doing that would have made #8 seem anticlimactic. It was much more low-key and, other than Oberyn's fight and death, isn't the type of episode that could follow an episode like this one without a feeling of deflation.

This episode was where it needed to be, and next week's episode will be the only thing that could follow up the massive spectacle we just got here.

The non-readers I was watching with forgot who Mance is. They also didn't understand why it took the Night's Watch so long to do anything about the mammoth that was getting hooked onto the gate, or why the forest was on fire.

Husband is a bit conflicted about the whole episode. He thinks the NW don't have a chance and that the Wildlings will win the battle. He is sort of rooting for the Wildlings and argues that they do have reason to be pissed about the way they're treated by those south of the wall so he wouldn't be disappointed if they did win .

He's also waiting for the Flea Bottom rebellion, when the poor of KL rise up against the "elite" as he calls them.

My father has yet to see it. One of my friends who watches it , thought that Jon was going to die at the beginning , but later was devastated as Ygritte died instead. Damn i haven't seen the episode yet (only some quick glampses) so i don't know my reactions , but in the book it was sad af...

They all started screaming when Sam let Ghost loose. "No! Not Ghost!" They're completely battered and are now paranoid that the worst possible thing will happen to the protagonists and that everything will work out perfectly for the antagonists. But is it paranoid if it's true?

My husband was rather underwhelmed. Although he likes The Wall storyline, he felt like it was underdone. He said that historically the second to last episode ended with a big bang (i.e. the Red Wedding), but this one felt like it ended rather, well, lame...

Also, he could not get over the fact that the entire episode featured The Wall. He has waited for 2 weeks for the battle by combat (The Mountain vs. the Viper), and now it will be another week before Tyrion's fate will be known.

After talking to people at work this morning, I got more of the same!

One of my most critical friends really enjoyed this episode, even though her fiance did not. She says "it def kept me interested. I thought it was good.. maybe people are just used to serious shit happening every episodes that an epic battle still pales in comparison to a character dying

When one friend asked another friend what Jon was doing going north of the wall with no weapons or Ghost, another friend answered "who the hell knows, CVS on the corner?" Basically meaning that trying to guess what will happen next is futile.

There was confusion about who Mance is and his relationship with Jon (prompting the conversation I mentioned above), little sympathy for Ygritte (egret as one friend calls her), extreme dislike for Tormund, no one caught that it was Slynt who ran and hid (no one even asked), concern that Sam would die next, and my Mom worrying over whether Ghost will die (she is still scarred from Lady's death).

The mammoths and giants were a huge success, and Pip and Grenn's deaths brought tears to us all.

As for what will happen next: Well, one friend has decided CVS is as good a guess as any. No one is guessing Stannis to the rescue.

I had to explain Janos Slynt to my non-reader friends as well. It's a bit sad.

They told me this episode gave them anxiety, like a brutal action movie might. In a good way as well as a bad way.

Their best idea came from Wight Giants. As if UnGregor wasn't terrifying enough, what a nightmare a Wight Giant would be to fight against. I give this idea 10/10 and hope the show eventually uses it.

A few episodes I was pleased when they guessed that the Hound would die to infection. I didn't say anything, but it means they were getting the hints, such as him moving a bit slow and also rubbing his neck.

I told them that there may or may not be people dying next episode and asked who, if any, was going to die.

They're convinced Tyrion will. Their dreams or protagonists surviving have been crushed.

They think Dany is going to die, if not next episode, then eventually.

They don't seem entirely convinced Jon is going to die going out on his little suicide mission, but also have no idea how the Night's Watch will survive. I admit I tried hinting at Stannis, asking where they thought he was, and they had no clue.

They're not sure what's going to happen with Arya.

They think Tywin is pretty much at the top of the world, though they admit that nothing is certain.

I don't think they care about Shae and they didn't even think about or mention her.

Oh, and during the Thorne/Tormund fight, they were confused why they did the whole attack around the pillar thing. It was kinda weird.

I just thought it was because they were fighting in an area that was disadvatageous for longswords. You couldn't swing wide left or right because you had the wall on one side and the pillars on the other. If all you can do is stab then it is much easier for your opponent to read. He had to swing around because otherwise it would have lodged into it.

I thought it did look kind of theatrical though.

I just thought it was because they were fighting in an area that was disadvatageous for longswords. You couldn't swing wide left or right because you had the wall on one side and the pillars on the other. If all you can do is stab then it is much easier for your opponent to read. He had to swing around because otherwise it would have lodged into it.

I thought it did look kind of theatrical though.

Yeah, and it leaves your body wide open to attack

My friend texted me halfway through the battle asking why the Wildlings hated the Night's Watch. She didn't understand the hatred that the Wildlings have for what the Wall stands for or the fear they feel about being left on the other side. But, she is also the one I had to tell twice that the Queen of Thorns was the one who killed Joffrey. :dunno:

All on my non reader friends loved the episode.

Even my parents who watch it in terribly dubbed Spanish understood everything that was going on. I think people dont value the "Previously on Game of Thrones" part. It really explains everything you need to know about the episode going on.

Anyway, my gf mentally prepared herself for Ygritte as she was battling so it wasnt too bad. At first she was like aww man this episode is only the wall how lame. But loved it once the drama set in of how unprepared the NW was.

They loved the battle and all the fighting. I reacted more when the episode ended cause I was expecting Stannis and they werent. So I kinda spoiled some drama for them by accident.

My daughter thought it was okay. In and of itself, she thought it was a decent episode, however, she was also a little bored/annoyed that the entire episode took place at the wall which is one of her least favourite storylines. Also, she doesn't really know who is who on the wall so Grenn and Pyp's deaths had basically no impact on her whatsoever.

Archived