[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

Yeah looking at the unsullied reactions I episodes 8 and 9 should have been switched.

Yup. It was a great episode, but it was a mistake to have a "wall only" episode after a giant cliffhanger in KL last week. Most people are more concerned about Tyrion's fate than in the Night's Watch.

I'm sure if this has been episode 7 or 8 everyone would be thinking it was the best episode of the season so far.

My unsullied friend said the episode was good, not great, but good. She said it was like a smaller version of Helm's deep, and her biggest problem with the episode was when the little boy (Ollie) killed Ygritte, he was so serious and grown up, when a moment ago he had been bawling his eyes out. lol.

Their best idea came from Wight Giants. As if UnGregor wasn't terrifying enough, what a nightmare a Wight Giant would be to fight against. I give this idea 10/10 and hope the show eventually uses it.

[...]

I told them that there may or may not be people dying next episode and asked who, if any, was going to die.

They're convinced Tyrion will. Their dreams or protagonists surviving have been crushed.

They think Dany is going to die, if not next episode, then eventually.

They don't seem entirely convinced Jon is going to die going out on his little suicide mission, but also have no idea how the Night's Watch will survive. I admit I tried hinting at Stannis, asking where they thought he was, and they had no clue.

They're not sure what's going to happen with Arya.

They think Tywin is pretty much at the top of the world, though they admit that nothing is certain.

I don't think they care about Shae and they didn't even think about or mention her.

Oh my god... giant Wights... you're right - that is nightmare fuel... *shudder*

As for the death predictions: Sounds like they've grasped the true meaning of "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention". I'm glad that Tywin is going to come completely out of the left field.

Mr SlowLoras:

- knew Ygritte was going to die, but was certain Sam and/or Gilly would too.

- thought the dead giant might come back as a wight *shudder*

- thought Grenn and co would fail in the tunnel

- has no idea that Stannis is on the way (although he does think Stannis will head to the wall eventually)

" I fukin hate this show. I don't think I've ever been right about who does what or something like that. I mean, I knew this last ep was going to be like blackwater, so I knew there would be casualties... but I'm pretty sure almost everyone I thought would die, survived and vice versa 1 more ep... assholes, I want more."

My husband thinks that Jon Snow has massive plot armor and thinks that somehow he'll survive. He thinks the Night's Watch must be able to kill Mance or convince the wildlings to go away, because otherwise they're doomed and what's the point of all this Wall time if every Wall character gets slaughtered.

Bro was worried Jon would die, is glad he didn't.

I don't think people cared too much about the deaths of Ygritte, Pyp, and Grenn. I couldn't have told you which one was Pyp and which one was Grenn so I didn't much care either. I'm just glad the overall body/character count is down, less names to keep track of. Husband was like, "So Eh-gret died?" and had no reaction to Pyp/Grenn dying.

They all started screaming when Sam let Ghost loose. "No! Not Ghost!" They're completely battered and are now paranoid that the worst possible thing will happen to the protagonists and that everything will work out perfectly for the antagonists. But is it paranoid if it's true?

OMG!! and LOL!!! My first laugh of the day.

It is so true, though. Let's hope they don't go all Cersei with the paranoia. Let's hope I don't, I'm still waiting on those two to three books.

This event should have happened in episode 4, if it all HAD to be in one episode.

I don't understand why they HAVE to save the 'big fight' for the end of the season, at the expense of the season.

Season 4 should have rocked everyone's world with its pacing and non-stop jaw-dropping moments, but like true Hollywood idiots, D&D messed it up by cramming everything in the last 4 episodes.

Hollywood seems to be obsessed with their big epic action sequences having to take place at the climax of the story. The battle for the wall is really only one epic part of the Wall's story in ASOS. The battle should have taken place mid-season, and the trial and election of Jon should have played out through the latter half of the season.

But NOOOO, there has to be a battle scene at the end of the season, and for some reason it has to be epic and everyone has to die and YGritte and Jon finally see each other again after months apart only to have her tragically killed before his very eyes. Oooh how epic!

Most of my family and friends really don't care about Jon and they thought Ygritte was a nasty slut. They also think the Night's Watch is incredibly stupid and incompetent and just want the wildlings to win.

unsullied colleague of mine is already like "just let Stannis show up and kill them all"

when i asked him how he knew stannis would come to the rescue;

"cause he said so"

Tried to make him believe Tyrion dies next episode. he is getting to good at guessing (or the show gets to predictable)

My BF was glad it was a wall episode only. Jon is his favorite character and The wall plot is also his favorite so he liked everything.

Was very sad when Pyp and Grenn died.

One of my colleagues was so pissed that we didn't get to see the afthermath of Oberyn's death, it prevented him from enjoying completely the episode.

Hello, this is my first post :)

I haven't spoken to my friend about the ep in any detail yet, but he sent me a message afterwards saying he thought it was a brilliant episode - after having said last week that season 4 hasn't been as good as the rest. Don't think he has any clue about Stannis either (he previously found out about the details of Tyrion's escape).

I think the biggest problem with this episode for most of the non book readers is that they have to wait another week to see what happens to Tyrion. I like to make fun of a friend who just loves Tyrion. For example: he never liked Oberyn because he was mean to Tyrion (although he doesn't like to admit it LOL) but thought he finally became 'cool' when he became a champion for his small friend, everything just revolves around Tyrion, it really annoys me a bit XD and the same goes for most 'unsullied', just ask them who their favorite character is and most will tell you it's Tyrion.

Nobody has an idea that Stannis will come and crush Mance. And when i ask my friend " why do you think stannis got funded from the bank and is trying to build an army" he'd answer "well because he's trying to take over all westeros just like the evil antagonists who try to take overall the world in popular culture ". I mean come on, stannis said in the season 3 final that he's going to the wall to defend against the white walkers.

A friend of mine told me after watching it:

"If they keep going like that there is not going to be anyone left to kill! And then "Jon's wildling" is killed by a boy!"

Also he thought Ygritte was going to swap sides and go with Jon. And he said that Jon was going to die anyway because he was "going to go kill some guy alone". I asked him if he didn't think that the King Beyond the Wall was important and he said that no he was not important because he was going to die anyway.

Really I think they are not getting the feeling that I got when reading that really there were very high chances for the willings to invade the 7K. I always saw it as a big threat and they don't even care.

My best friend loved the episode, but it seems that he still doesn't like Jon. He's pissed off because he doesn't understand why on earth would he go after Mance without Ghost, without a sword and dressed all in black. And, to be honest, neither do I. What was exactly his plan again?

I think the biggest problem with this episode for most of the non book readers is that they have to wait another week to see what happens to Tyrion. I like to make fun of a friend who just loves Tyrion. For example: he never liked Oberyn because he was mean to Tyrion (although he doesn't like to admit it LOL) but thought he finally became 'cool' when he became a champion for his small friend, everything just revolves around Tyrion, it really annoys me a bit XD and the same goes for most 'unsullied', just ask them who their favorite character is and most will tell you it's Tyrion.

Don't you think that's true of a lot of book-readers too? I think Tyrion is the most interesting character and I'm a book-reader.

My best friend loved the episode, but it seems that he still doesn't like Jon. He's pissed off because he doesn't understand why on earth would he go after Mance without Ghost, without a sword and dressed all in black. And, to be honest, neither do I. What was exactly his plan again?

Pretty sure he's going to parley, like in the books. That's the only way he can get close to Mance, and you don't go to truce talks with weapons or large wolves. It's not as if he could fight his way through the wildling army by himself, so the guise of parley is his only option.

A few episodes I was pleased when they guessed that the Hound would die to infection. I didn't say anything, but it means they were getting the hints, such as him moving a bit slow and also rubbing his neck.

You probably know that conventional wisdom says that the Hound is alive living as the gravedigger on Quiet Isle. But just in case... LINK

my friends loved it. but there was still much confusion.

is anyone getting frustrated with our beloved unsullied? as i read through this, people dont know who mace is, who tomromund is, who slynt is....

I mean c'mon the exposition is in ever conversation, thoughts on our confused but beloved unsullied

Archived