[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

Of course if they did that, then you'd have everyone going "omg the Wall is so boring, they're just sitting there, doing nothing". Even if it obviously wasn't just eating porridge, if it was them doing stuff in preparation for the battle it would seem too long and dull for many viewers. I guess D&D can never win - if they spend time with the Wall characters: "why do we spend time with them, they're doing nothing, where's Tyrion" - if they don't spend time: "who are they? don't care if they die, where's Tyrion".

I dunno, I think D&D are usually really good at keeping storylines alive just with little characterful moments. Loads of people like the Hound/Arya even though nothing has happened to them all season except they've found dying/dead people. Ditto Brienne; her biggest moment this season has been a long conversation about how to make good pies. I would have loved to see some deadpan humour from Dolorious Edd, or Pyp and Grenn wondering if they should visit the moletown ladies despite the ban. I'd like that a lot more than a trip up to Craster's Keep to get to know a whole load of new characters who will never appear again.

And obviously I wish they had kept a lot of the political stuff. I much prefer the plot being that Jon is forced out to speak to Mance on a suicide mission, to get him out of the way, rather than the HBO version.

Anyway these are all small gripes. I will forgive D&D everything because the mammoths were so frickin' cool.

And obviously I wish they had kept a lot of the political stuff. I much prefer the plot being that Jon is forced out to speak to Mance on a suicide mission, to get him out of the way, rather than the HBO version.

I think this way works better in proving Jon's ability to lead, though. We see that he's willing to sacrifice his life and his honor to try to save the NW- something a real leader would do without hesitation, and will garner the respect of all of the men in CB. Plus we already saw the 'try to get him out of the way mission' when Slynt convinced Thorne to send Jon to Craster's Keep, so it would have been repetitive to do it again here.

Unsullied co-worker: "I love Sam now. He's not exactly kicking ass.. but at least he seems willing to snap it with a wet towel."

Unsullied daughter: "I like that the entire episode was about the Wall. It's like ripping off a band-aid, better to do it all at once and get it over with."

Unsullied daughter: "I like that the entire episode was about the Wall. It's like ripping off a band-aid, better to do it all at once and get it over with."

This is glorious :lmao:

Unsullied GF notes on the episode:

- was a bit annoyed, that it was all on the Wall

- didn't care about the Wall stuff before, but is now hooked a little more

- she likes Sam and thinks Jon is a cutie

- from the dead trio, she was sad about Grenn, because he was all right

- still thinks that the wildlings will go past the Wall

After that I asked her about almost every character and what she thinks will happen:

- Jon is gonna survive somehow (doesn't know how thought)

- Wildlings will go past the Wall eventually, but someone is gonna stop them. When I asked who, she just took a shot in a dark and said: "maybe Lady Melisandre is gonna come and do something" (not bad)

- Reek and Ramsay will stay in Winterfell now and nothings gonna happen there

- Brienne/Pod and Arya/Hound are gonna meet up

- Bran's storyline is not important right now, lot of stuff is going on south so they will focus on that

- Dany will just sit in Mereen for a while

- Tyrion will go to Wall, because a lot is happening there right now, so why not

- Tywin's ruling is getting out of hand

- she predicted Cersei's and Margaery's cat fight over Tommen

- Jaime is worthless now

I think that the last ep will be a treat for her :-)

My OH just watched it (he's been putting it off because he's convinced himself that 'The Imp' is going to get killed).

He seemed to have a good idea of what was going on with the two pronged attack and who the major players were (although he doesn't always know their names!). He thought Ghost was going to kill Ygritte and was quite certain that 6 men wouldn't be able to defend the inner gate from the giant :')

I asked him what he thinks will happen next and he replied in a depressingly resigned tone 'everyone's going to die'

:D

Finally talked to my sister. She's convinced that Jon is going to die, as well as Tyrion, because she likes both of them XD She didn't get some of the more minute things (like spitting in Styr's face being a lesson Jon learned from Karl TFL Tanner), but she loved the action sequences and said she was sad when Ygritte and Green died (she didn't remember who Pyp was). She didn't get that Jon was going to pretend to parley (something I felt they should have mentioned, myself), but it made sense to her what he was doing when I told her about it. Overall, she loved it, especially after what happened to Oberyn (which she did NOT see coming at all). She even ponied up for HBO even though there were 2 episodes left of GoT.

I dunno, I think D&D are usually really good at keeping storylines alive just with little characterful moments. Loads of people like the Hound/Arya even though nothing has happened to them all season except they've found dying/dead people. Ditto Brienne; her biggest moment this season has been a long conversation about how to make good pies. I would have loved to see some deadpan humour from Dolorious Edd, or Pyp and Grenn wondering if they should visit the moletown ladies despite the ban. I'd like that a lot more than a trip up to Craster's Keep to get to know a whole load of new characters who will never appear again.

Anyway these are all small gripes. I will forgive D&D everything because the mammoths were so frickin' cool.

I totally see your point, but Hound/Arya and Brienne are main characters more or less and the first two in particular are huge fan favorites so people would probably watch them just walking around and talking for half an hour with no complaints. They have to be in the forefront of the audience's attention. Personally, apart from the fight at the inn and the chickens, I was pretty indifferent to the rest of the Arya and Hound scenes.

Edit: the mammoths were cool yeah!

Both of my coworkers loved the episode. I was really pleased to see that. I've been trying to get reactions from people unfamiliar with the books before putting any of my own input in. Both of them are happy that Jon Snow is finally stepping up as well.

Neither of them are convinced that Jon is going to die, but they are dreading the finale because I've managed to convince them to just "accept it, you're going to lose a Lannister." ;)

I think they'll be ecstatic with the episode. :D

My one friend who doesn't read the books or care too much for character's names really loved the episode while my other friend who is a bit more involved with the storylines said it was an average ep with too much action, not enough story.

Agree with people saying that tv only viewers don't quite understand the importance of certain storylines and characters. Most people I know still call Ygritte, Ingred... sigh

Archived