How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

As a book reader this was one of my fav episodes of the season, had tremendous dialogue and action.

Why are people claiming they are upset that Stannis didn't come? In the books he didn't come until the Mance/Jon meetup anyway. lol, people will complain about anything, even when they're wrong.

wow. silliest episode of the season; probably silliest of the entire show. they lost something in focusing the whole show in one place.

however, the giants were awesome. the kid killing annoying redhead was awesome. I like how he looked at jon like "yeeeah, bitch, i got this!"

jon's die hard roll out of the elevator was cheesy. but ghost was badass.

its funny, during the first 4 seasons all I ever heard from friends/family/forums was that there wasn't enough fight scenes. We finally had a full episode worth of one giant battle and people are complaining. People have a right to their opinion, but damn, I don't understand how anyone could have disliked this episode. I've read the books twice and watched each episode like 3 times at least, this ranks in the top 5.

Where did the budget for this episode go? On the ferocious CG battle of the 3 giants and 10 climbers in front of the wall? Perhaps Neil Marshall bought a real forest to burn down.. we did see some nice scenes of trees burning.

Where are these "100,000 wildlings?" I saw like a 100 dudes standing around some trees. If there's an army, I want to see it. I used my imagination just fine when reading a book, I don't want to use it when WATCHING A TV SHOW.

Fortunately though, we got a slow motion action shot of John holding Ygritte, /gag. terrible.

According to George RR Martin:

"Tomorrow night, on HBO. Neil Marshall returns, with a battle even bigger than "Blackwater." Should rival or surpass any battle ever seen before on television. Keep your swords sharp."

Um What? There wasn't even a battle north of the wall, and we got a crap battle of 40 people south of it. Perhaps if you only watch "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and "16 and Pregnant" than yes, this was the biggest battle ever seen on television. Otherwise, it was crap.

Not even getting into leaving Stannis out. Crap, crap, crap. Neil Marshall should never be allowed to direct anything involving combat, battles, or people thinking about battles.

Id rate this lower than a 1 if i could.

As a book reader this was one of my fav episodes of the season, had tremendous dialogue and action.

Why are people claiming they are upset that Stannis didn't come? In the books he didn't come until the Mance/Jon meetup anyway. lol, people will complain about anything, even when they're wrong.

They are complaining that the episode ended before that happened. You're the one who is wrong.

Where did the budget for this episode go? On the ferocious CG battle of the 3 giants and 10 climbers in front of the wall? Perhaps Neil Marshall bought a real forest to burn down.. we did see some nice scenes of trees burning.

Where are these "100,000 wildlings?" I saw like a 100 dudes standing around some trees. If there's an army, I want to see it. I used my imagination just fine when reading a book, I don't want to use it when WATCHING A TV SHOW.

Fortunately though, we got a slow motion action shot of John holding Ygritte, /gag. terrible.

"Tomorrow night, on HBO. Neil Marshall returns, with a battle even bigger than "Blackwater." Should rival or surpass any battle ever seen before on television. Keep your swords sharp."

Um What? There wasn't even a battle north of the wall, and we got a crap battle of 40 people south of it. Perhaps if you only watch "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and "16 and Pregnant" than yes, this was the biggest battle ever seen on television. Otherwise, it was crap.

Not even getting into leaving Stannis out. Crap, crap, crap. Neil Marshall should never be allowed to direct anything involving combat, battles, or people thinking about battles.

Id rate this lower than a 1 if i could.

Even in the books the battle wasn't just one massive thing, Mance sent multiple small/medium sized forces at the wall. In the books we don't see Stannis until Jon's "treat" with Mance. Seriously, how could the show have done a better job at portraying the battle of castleblack besides a full 2.5 hour motion picture? They did a brilliant job. People are just haters.

Huh, well, at least we may know why episode 10 has the highest $/second sequence in the show, those horses ought to cost a lot.

I was soooo expecting Stannis, I nearly wet myself with excitement...but it might have looked a little too much like Helms Deep in that big movie trilogy for comfort, if that'd happened. It will come. I can wait.

I can't believe any episode of GOT made me scream in frantic support of Aliser Thorne. For that, plus the end of Ygritte, I say 10.

They are complaining that the episode ended before that happened. You're the one who is wrong.

Lol, people complain there wasn't enough action, how the hell would you have liked them to fit the entire battle, then the delay (Jon goodbyes), treat with Mance, Stannis arriving in one episode. People's expectations are seriously flawed. We'll get that next week, ugh.

Even in the books the battle wasn't just one massive thing, Mance sent multiple small/medium sized forces at the wall. In the books we don't see Stannis until Jon's "treat" with Mance. Seriously, how could the show have done a better job at portraying the battle of castleblack besides a full 2.5 hour motion picture? They did a brilliant job. People are just haters.

Cut out the 40 minutes of sam talking about wanting to get laid, and you know, actually showed the battle that happened? They showed 2 giants, a mammoth, and a couple climbers. No stannis. No "multiple forces" It was crap.

Edited by Whatsthedillio

Yep.

Cut out the 40 minutes of sam talking about wanting to get laid, and you know, actually showed the battle that happened? They showed 2 giants, a mammoth, and a couple climbers. No stannis. No "couple forces" It was crap.

This is a show that has dialogue, they had to buildup Sam's feeling of loss before Gilly came back. They also had to make Jon reminisce about Ygritte before tonight's climax of Ygritte dying.

It was obvious tonight's episode's climax was going to be Ygritte's death.

People aren't haters. There was a mammoth, a few wildings and two giants. Oh wow. Pfft. Extremely disappointing. I'm not a Stannis fan so his not being in this episode isn't a big deal. But this battle was hyped up and it just did not deliver. Did not deliver. That's not hate. That's a fact.

A 7.

It had great moments, like Ghost Time!, and Grenn telling Janos he was needed downstairs. And the SCYTHE :devil:

Jon's speech with Alliser was fine, too, and didn't betray the relationship, so kudos for that.

So, a big :thumbsup: for the scripters for changing the plot a little bit and still getting a coherent and flowing story but for Jon leaving LongClaw with Sam.

But this episode left me feeling meh. And it was not only me, my (unsullied) family also felt the same way. Like if the cliffhanger was left at an odd moment: Jon crossing (unarmed) the Gate.

A whole episode dedicated to the Wall and it felt like it was not enough, that it needed to close some plotlines before the finale (that's going to be clogged with all the other plotlines getting their closure/cliffhangers). I really thought this was going to be the last episode this season to feature the Wall, hence a little more of of the plot advancing.

I don't know, maybe I'll review my scoring after a rewatch with the whole season finished.

This is a show that has dialogue, they had to buildup Sam's feeling of loss before Gilly came back. They also had to make Jon reminisce about Ygritte before tonight's climax of Ygritte dying.

It was obvious tonight's episode's climax was going to be Ygritte's death.

Hence why people are hating jackass. This was supposed to be a battle episode, and instead we got to hear about Sam's extensive thoughts about sex instead of actually showing battle sequences. If thats what you'd rather watch, then well, I really dont know what to say.

Hence why people are hating jackass. This was supposed to be a battle episode, and instead we got to hear about Sam's extensive thoughts about sex instead of actually showing battle sequences. If thats what you'd rather watch, then well, I really dont know what to say.

All the hype for best battle ever was just shit.