How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Where did the budget for this episode go? On the ferocious CG battle of the 3 giants and 10 climbers in front of the wall? Perhaps Neil Marshall bought a real forest to burn down.. we did see some nice scenes of trees burning.

Where are these "100,000 wildlings?" I saw like a 100 dudes standing around some trees. If there's an army, I want to see it. I used my imagination just fine when reading a book, I don't want to use it when WATCHING A TV SHOW.

Fortunately though, we got a slow motion action shot of John holding Ygritte, /gag. terrible.

According to George RR Martin:

"Tomorrow night, on HBO. Neil Marshall returns, with a battle even bigger than "Blackwater." Should rival or surpass any battle ever seen before on television. Keep your swords sharp."

Um What? There wasn't even a battle north of the wall, and we got a crap battle of 40 people south of it. Perhaps if you only watch "Keeping up with the Kardashians" and "16 and Pregnant" than yes, this was the biggest battle ever seen on television. Otherwise, it was crap.

Not even getting into leaving Stannis out. Crap, crap, crap. Neil Marshall should never be allowed to direct anything involving combat, battles, or people thinking about battles.

Id rate this lower than a 1 if i could

better still. cut the Grey Worm crap, shorten the Arya/Hound roadtrip and give the wall the build up it needed rather than try to cram everything into one episode.

what do I know. I'm not a TV producer, just an Sunday night Internet armchair critic.

Going to watch it again before rating it.

Fabulously entertaining TV on it's own merits but impossible to not judge vs the books. However Thorne was AWESOME. The few CGI effects were perfect, but left wishing they had done the Wall true justice throughout the season. Make it the siege the books had. No turtles, scarecrow Brothers. A missed opportunity for truly brilliant TV. As the book was of the battle, brilliant storytelling

Edited by mickyd

It was a 10 for me if you can't give this episode a 10 then there's very little point to you watching the show because it was amazing!!! , I hope people remember this is not a spoiler free thread, and when things that you think should of happened in this episode happen in the next I hope you all will be big enough to come back here and raise your vote to a 10.

No way I'm ever voting this episode a 10. I gave it a 7 and that's too generous.

God that sucked, I know some people liked it but that sucked. Major battle? 20 guys in the yard fighting a lot of guys on the wall standing around and looking, no sense of urgency. And the Wildlings use the worst battle plan ever. The attack consisted of 4 guys climbing the wall, 1 Mammoth, 2 giants and maybe 5 or 6 guys storming the gate with them or poking the mammoths ass with their spears. The guys on the wall killed more of their own than than Mance did. And Mance actually breached the wall with that force. Are you kidding me?

This was all about the battle in the yard where the Wildlings seem to slaughter the 20 men defending it over and over. Yig got 20 kills by herself. Ghost was totally wasted, Ghost vision, quick shot of his mouth, then a long shot of him eating. Apparently Jon needed Ghost to kill one Wildling really badly. Thought Sam was cheesy, don't care if Grenn or Pip die, Gilly is still annoying and can't act. The forward or backward role seems to be the wildling standard for fighting. Jon was ok and had a decent fight scene, thought Thorne was the best in the episode. Honestly just did not feel much emotion it felt bland. CGI was decent, nothing special, really just kind of blah about the whole thing. Nothing really happened except a few secondary characters die who have no emotional attachment too on the show. The cliffhanger I new was coming, and I get it but that doesn't mean it works all that well.

One thing I really couldn't stand was the wildling line, at no point did it look 100,000 strong, maybe 5000 which you know is fine, but for most of the episode whenever they showed them, they were standing there growling and snarling grrrrr, grrrrrr harg, snarl. Was the direction ok guys I need you to act like idiots. And what are they growling at, the men of the Watch are 700 feet up, they can't see your face, you like ants to them and they probably can barely hear you. Some stood there snarling and got shot, and about 10 seconds later after the third or 4th guy gets nailed they all act shocked and back up. This was suppose to be bigger than the Blackwater? Not even close, not even in the ball park.

I give it 4 because Jon and Thorne were solid, it had some solid CGI here and there but for the most part everything around them sucked. Low energy, no emotion, bad acting. And that was not a battle is was friggin skirmish in the training yard.

I am glad some liked but it just did nothing for me, this is episode 9 and that was boring.

Edited by Ser Creighton

Well, since I'd hyped that along with the rest of you, Stan, I felt crestfallen that it didn't happen, but that's because I feel I might've shot my credibility by saying something incorrect over and over. There were enough signs that Stan's arrival would be in the Children that I should've put more thought into.

Anyways Stan, someone can make a youtube edit of the battle and tag Stan's charge on the end. So, in the end we get it all the same.

Edited by Konradsmith

I liked that Stannis did not arrive in this episode. It gave clarity to what may come with the Others and how the Wildlings and the Westerosi must join together. If Stannis had arrived during this episode, it would have diminished the impact of BOTH...the joining of a common enemy AND OF STANNIS' attempt to join all together.

I think leaving Stannis' arrival at the Wall with reinforcements AFTER this episode makes sense and shows a savvy man who knows how to be a king.

People who hated this episode should just stop watching.... The show is different from the books.... get over it.

I love the books as much as anyone, but Stannis wasn't supposed to show up yet anyway....

The production was incredible... Jon's coming out party.... great episode for anyone who doesn't have sex with their Stannis doll

Edited by Martini Sigil

God that sucked, I know some people liked it but that sucked. Major battle? 20 guys in the yard fighting a lot of guys on the wall standing around and looking, no sense of urgency. And the Wildlings use the worst battle plan ever. The attack consisted of 4 guys climbing the wall, 1 Mammoth, 2 giants and maybe 5 or 6 guys storming the gate with them or poking the mammoths ass with their spears. The guys on the wall killed more of their own than than Mance did. And Mance actually breached the wall with that force. Are you kidding me?

This was all about the battle in the yard where the Wildlings seem to slaughter the 20 men defending it over and over. Yig got 20 kills by herself. Ghost was totally wasted, Ghost vision, quick shot of his mouth, then a long shot of him eating. Apparently Jon needed Ghost to kill one Wildling really badly. Thought Sam was cheesy, don't care if Grenn or Pip die, Gilly is still annoying and can't act. The forward or backward role seems to be the wildling standard for fighting. Jon was ok and had a decent fight scene, thought Thorne was the best in the episode. Honestly just did not feel much emotion it felt bland. CGI was decent, nothing special, really just kind of blah about the whole thing. Nothing really happened except a few secondary characters die who have no emotional attachment too on the show. The cliffhanger I new was coming, and I get it but that doesn't mean it works all that well.

One thing I really couldn't stand was the wildling line, at no point did it look 100,000 strong, maybe 5000 which you know is fine, but for most of the episode whenever they showed them, they were standing there growling and snarling grrrrr, grrrrrr harg, snarl. Was the direction ok guys I need you to act like idiots. And what are they growling at, the men of the Watch are 700 feet up, they can't see your face, you like ants to them and they probably can barely hear you. Some stood there snarling and got shot, and about 10 seconds later after the third or 4th guy gets nailed they all act shocked and back up. This was suppose to be bigger than the Blackwater? Not even close, not even in the ball park.

I give it 4 because Jon and Thorne were solid, it had some solid CGI here and there but for the most part everything around them sucked. Low energy, no emotion, bad acting. And that was not a battle is was friggin skirmish in the training yard.

I am glad some liked but it just did nothing for me, this is episode 9 and that was boring.

Ditto!

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

THIS!

10!! great battle scenes, would have liked to see them actually kill the Giant, but the anchor that sliced through the wall made up for that, that was the coolest death scene i have ever seen. The way some of the scenes were shot, were shot like the end of episode 4 I think of True Detective when Cohle is running through that gang neighborhood. I don't see how anyone could score this episode less than an 8, even if it didn't happen like this in the books, enough of it did in my opinion, and to those who graded lower than 5's I'd say.....you know nothing Jon Snow.

People who hated this episode should just stop watching.... The show is different from the books.... get over it.

I love the books as much as anyone, but Stannis wasn't supposed to show up yet anyway....

The production was incredible... Jon's coming out party.... great episode for anyone who doesn't have sex with their Stannis doll

OH MY GOD AN OPINION THREAD WHERE PEOPLE GIVE THEIR OPINIONS! You should just stop posting.

Predictable but well executed. Hated that it was clear Jon did not shoot Ygritte either directly or indirectly. 8

Predictable how, some parts were, like the kid killing Ygritte as soon as he looks at the bow when Sam is being raised up to get Jon, I instantly thought he would kill Ygritte when I saw that so yeah that was very predictable, but what else?

I'm not a Stannis fan.

I just don't want a boring drawn out episode. I wanted a decent climax-- which the book gives & this episode could have.

There was no reason to have a drawn out episode when they still have lot of story to wrap up.

Did enjoy Mammoth & Giants & kid killing Ygritte.

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

8/10

The episode was great until the ending. Would have liked to see Stannis save the day instead of the unnecessary cliffhanger. Looks like Dolorous Edd lives to fight another day, could he be taking Bowen Marsh's place? Also, I consider Stannis taking the back seat to Davos, Melisandre, and now Jon Snow sort of a book spoiler. Seems that his character is not important enough to develop, so wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't survive the Boltons in TWoW. Disappointing.