How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

The battle sequences in Blackwater were more epic, probably because it involved Stannis cutting down Lannisters. With that said, I did enjoy the episode. I'm not a big Jon Snow fan: both the actor and the character, but he was really good in this episode. Also Thorne, and even Janos. Those complaining about Janos should find something else to complain about. The Sam/Gilly/love convos ran a little long, would've been able to give more screentime to Ghost.

And poor Tormund.....

Man come on dudes, you at least have to admit the anchor part was bad ass.

Yeah, it was. But emotionally it was pretty wooden. Total waste of Maester Aemon. The staging overall for the attack and fight were pretty bad.

Husband : A bunch of Hillibillies attack a giant ice wall. The Blackwater was 100 percent better.

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

God that sucked, I know some people liked it but that sucked. Major battle? 20 guys in the yard fighting a lot of guys on the wall standing around and looking, no sense of urgency. And the Wildlings use the worst battle plan ever. The attack consisted of 4 guys climbing the wall, 1 Mammoth, 2 giants and maybe 5 or 6 guys storming the gate with them or poking the mammoths ass with their spears. The guys on the wall killed more of their own than than Mance did. And Mance actually breached the wall with that force. Are you kidding me?

This was all about the battle in the yard where the Wildlings seem to slaughter the 20 men defending it over and over. Yig got 20 kills by herself. Ghost was totally wasted, Ghost vision, quick shot of his mouth, then a long shot of him eating. Apparently Jon needed Ghost to kill one Wildling really badly. Thought Sam was cheesy, don't care if Grenn or Pip die, Gilly is still annoying and can't act. The forward or backward role seems to be the wildling standard for fighting. Jon was ok and had a decent fight scene, thought Thorne was the best in the episode. Honestly just did not feel much emotion it felt bland. CGI was decent, nothing special, really just kind of blah about the whole thing. Nothing really happened except a few secondary characters die who have no emotional attachment too on the show. The cliffhanger I new was coming, and I get it but that doesn't mean it works all that well.

One thing I really couldn't stand was the wildling line, at no point did it look 100,000 strong, maybe 5000 which you know is fine, but for most of the episode whenever they showed them, they were standing there growling and snarling grrrrr, grrrrrr harg, snarl. Was the direction ok guys I need you to act like idiots. And what are they growling at, the men of the Watch are 700 feet up, they can't see your face, you like ants to them and they probably can barely hear you. Some stood there snarling and got shot, and about 10 seconds later after the third or 4th guy gets nailed they all act shocked and back up. This was suppose to be bigger than the Blackwater? Not even close, not even in the ball park.

I give it 4 because Jon and Thorne were solid, it had some solid CGI here and there but for the most part everything around them sucked. Low energy, no emotion, bad acting. And that was not a battle is was friggin skirmish in the training yard.

I am glad some liked but it just did nothing for me, this is episode 9 and that was boring.

Did you miss the part where Jon explains that this was a preliminary force to test the strength of Castle Black and that eventually their numbers would easily overwhelm the NW? They didn't send 100k.

DISCLAIMER 1: Not a purist

DISCLAIMER 2: Not a Stannis fan

DISCLAIMER 3: Didn't bother with the deaths...

But this sucked... This really sucked. This didn't suck in "books are better" way, this sucked in "this is bad episode" way...

And unfortunately for the producers, we still do remember Blackwater.

Can't even make myself to vote.

Yes, thank you

God that sucked, I know some people liked it but that sucked. Major battle? 20 guys in the yard fighting a lot of guys on the wall standing around and looking, no sense of urgency. And the Wildlings use the worst battle plan ever. The attack consisted of 4 guys climbing the wall, 1 Mammoth, 2 giants and maybe 5 or 6 guys storming the gate with them or poking the mammoths ass with their spears. The guys on the wall killed more of their own than than Mance did. And Mance actually breached the wall with that force. Are you kidding me?

This was all about the battle in the yard where the Wildlings seem to slaughter the 20 men defending it over and over. Yig got 20 kills by herself. Ghost was totally wasted, Ghost vision, quick shot of his mouth, then a long shot of him eating. Apparently Jon needed Ghost to kill one Wildling really badly. Thought Sam was cheesy, don't care if Grenn or Pip die, Gilly is still annoying and can't act. The forward or backward role seems to be the wildling standard for fighting. Jon was ok and had a decent fight scene, thought Thorne was the best in the episode. Honestly just did not feel much emotion it felt bland. CGI was decent, nothing special, really just kind of blah about the whole thing. Nothing really happened except a few secondary characters die who have no emotional attachment too on the show. The cliffhanger I new was coming, and I get it but that doesn't mean it works all that well.

One thing I really couldn't stand was the wildling line, at no point did it look 100,000 strong, maybe 5000 which you know is fine, but for most of the episode whenever they showed them, they were standing there growling and snarling grrrrr, grrrrrr harg, snarl. Was the direction ok guys I need you to act like idiots. And what are they growling at, the men of the Watch are 700 feet up, they can't see your face, you like ants to them and they probably can barely hear you. Some stood there snarling and got shot, and about 10 seconds later after the third or 4th guy gets nailed they all act shocked and back up. This was suppose to be bigger than the Blackwater? Not even close, not even in the ball park.

I give it 4 because Jon and Thorne were solid, it had some solid CGI here and there but for the most part everything around them sucked. Low energy, no emotion, bad acting. And that was not a battle is was friggin skirmish in the training yard.

I am glad some liked but it just did nothing for me, this is episode 9 and that was boring.

You pretty much summed it up for me. At the end i was like, really? And it wasn't even about being a Stannis fan for me, the episode was just sort of...lackluster.

So you don't think it's possible they fight again in 10 and then Stannis comes?

For, what, one minute? Unless they're bumping all kinds of stuff into next season that everyone is expecting to see, it is impossible that the Jon/Mance/Stannis story is getting any significant time.

Did you miss the part where Jon explains that this was a preliminary force to test the strength of Castle Black and that eventually their numbers would easily overwhelm the NW? They didn't send 100k.

Hmmm.....guess their little plan to lower expectations to zero failed.

9.5/10 if I could :bowdown:

I'm a sucker for the Wall and this episode really did it for me. Thorne was great, Jon's dueling down the stairs was perfect and intense. Ghost was a total boss as usual. As great as Blackwater was (it was GREAT), I felt the impact of this battle so much more by the end of the episode.

They could have shaved off a few minutes in the beginning with the Sam/Jon conversation but I did like how they eased the viewers into the conflict. I love Sam/Gilly but that also took up just a little too much time (the kiss though! Mack Daddy Sam). So not perfect editing but it was pretty much

Also, Jon may be no poet but that scene of him holding Ygritte as she died with the flames in the background couldn't have been more poetic. Beautiful shot that will stay with me.

VERY disappointing. A 6, because I'm trying hard not to be a book purist, and judge the show for the show. Otherwise it'd be closer to 1 or 2. But even then, this episodes is short, underwhelming... just feels empty.

D&D really screwed up big time this season. The whole Wall plotline is an utter mess. So much screentime wasted on non interesting fillers (Craster's, the first 20 min of this episodes, ...), that now they're force to postpone Stannis arrival to the final episode (which bothers me, not because I'm a Stannis fan (which I'm not, I don't even like the guy), but because next episode is clearly going to be very overwhelming, while this one wasn't enough.)

Well, colour me disappointed... but on the other hand, this does set the season finale up to be the most epic episode in GOT history.

I think I'll give this one an 8.5, bumped up to a nine, because the overall episode was quite good, and most of my disappointment stems from the fact that I know what comes next.

For a while I thought they were setting Sam up to kill Ygritte, which I thought would have been a good twist, but nevermind.

Wasn't particularly keen on the first 5-10 minutes, but the rest was generally very well done.

Edited by Mr Smith

Well, colour me disappointed... but on the other hand, this does set the season finale up to be the most epic episode in GOT history.

I think I'll give this one an 8.5, bumped up to a nine, because the overall episode was quite good, and most of my disappointment stems from the fact that I know what comes next.

For a while I thought they were setting Sam up to kill Ygritte, which I thought would have been a good twist, but nevermind.

I thought it was going to be Sam too. Or maybe Pyp haha

Yes I can.

I don't obsess over every episode. I watch for pleasure. If you are technology driven, then great.

If I want to nitpick something, it will be something I do at work that will lead to better patient outcomes. I pay attention to minor details when it concerns a life, not a TV show.

You don't obsess over every episode? Funny, you post about every one, yet this is the first time I have EVER complained about an episode.. I've never even posted yet you have almost 2000 posts. I like your logic, and seeing as how you lack any, I can understand why you enjoyed this episode.

Unfortunately though, I have enough brains to fill a teaspoon, so I am not willing to accept that 10 wildlings breach the wall that has stood for 1000s of years. That's not a minor detail, its a huge plot flaw, and it was sheer laziness and/or incompetence by the creators.

And since you don't like nitpicking things, as you said, why don't you go nitpick your patients instead of other peoples opinions.

Edited by Whatsthedillio

What was there was an 8. First we get the scene where Ygritte tells everyone she'll kill them if they go after Jon, then she just ends up standing there while he fights Styr. Then we get Maester Aemon recounting his bachelor days as hot young Targ. So 2 completely wasted scenes from the jump. Once things get going it was great, but ends too soon and nothing gets resolved, so -1 for what was NOT there. Final grade: 7

This show will never please you, read the books and enjoy them.

you guys are weird humans to give what you just watched a 5 - so perhaps the best CGI battle sequence in history gets a 5 because Green died? Fuck off

Haters are in full force huh? They should just shut up and deal with it.

Or you could stop acting like children and accept the fact that some people have differing opinions from your own.

Edited by nothatso