How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I thought this was a strong episode. I hope Neil is just their go to for battle episodes! I loved the scythe! Great addition. I thought the changes were actually beneficial in this episode, but I don't particularly like Jon walking out alone to meet with Mance. But, let's hope it's somewhat interesting. I was really hoping to see a certain person. I don't want to include spoilers, but I really wanted to see the end of this battle like it occurred in the books, but I understand the size and scope of such a thing in ONE episode.

Whew, I'm rambling. Good episode. Like a breath of fresh air after the previous episode's disappointments.

I see there are a lot of Stannis fans here, but in the books Stannis doesn't arrive on the first night of the battle. Donal Noye holds the gate and the morning comes. This is what happened in the book. Why are people so disappointed? Stannis arrives later. The Wall is attacked, Jon takes command and repels the wildlings. That's an event. It was great to see Jon swinging Longclaw.

Jon was BAMF. And Sam, too.

RIP Pyp and Grenn. :crying:

5/10

Big action packed battles do nothing for me, and i'm not the sort to be wowed by special effects. Could have done without all the romance crap too, and the cheesy dialogue.

That said, I was expecting much worse. They didn't go overboard turning Ygritte and Tormund into hollywood badasses as I thought they might. I was also very relieved they didn't kill off Alliser Thorne.

I'm sure a lot will be disappointed Stannis didn't show up to save the day in this episode, but honestly, that would have been too rushed and anticlimactic. I think it's better this way.

Did you miss the part where Jon explains that this was a preliminary force to test the strength of Castle Black and that eventually their numbers would easily overwhelm the NW? They didn't send 100k.

Yeah the whole point of the frontal assault was to set up the attack from the South, the attack from the North was just a diversionary tactic. I agree that this criticism is unfounded.

I give it a 10/10. Even as a book reader my heart was beating so fast i was on the edge on my seat. The only thing i would have changed is made the episode longer and have Stannis save the day in this one, not the next. But overall it was amazing, for those giving a low score ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?? i guess not... :dunno:

The production value? Lets look at the amazing production shall we?

Mance's 100,00 wildling army:

http://postimg.org/image/np0bpw3st/

Here's the massive army that attecked the wall: (I circled them, because even though its a massive 10 people, its a little hard to see)

http://postimg.org/image/9xl84uo8j/

And the huge battle that breached the gate:

http://postimg.org/image/doculnzwb/

As you can see, there are 5 wildlings, 2 giants, and a mammoth.

Perhaps the production values are great if you are blind, but for those of use with more than 2 brain cells, we aren't willing to accept the absurdity that this "force" could somehow breach a gate, nor are we willing to accept the butchering of a story we love.

Glad you have low expectations and can accept crap.

Lets ignore the fact that this is being filmed in two weeks on a television budget. Please show anything on television that approaches this episode.

I see there are a lot of Stannis fans here, but in the books Stannis doesn't arrive on the first night of the battle. Donal Noye holds the gate and the morning comes. This is what happened in the book. Why are people so disappointed? Stannis arrives later. The Wall is attacked, Jon takes command and repels the wildlings. That's an event. It was great to see Jon swinging Longclaw.

Jon was BAMF. And Sam, too.

RIP Pyp and Grenn. :crying:

Because Stannis fans are the loudest group of malcontents on the internet. Let them throw a hissy fit, its actually funny to read.

You don't obsess over every episode? Funny, you post about every one, yet this is the first time I have EVER complained about an episode.. I've never even posted yet you have almost 2000 posts. I like your logic, and seeing as how you lack any, I can understand why you enjoyed this episode.

Unfortunately though, I have enough brains to fill a teaspoon, so I am not willing to accept that 10 wildlings breach the wall that has stood for 1000s of years. That's not a minor detail, its a huge plot flaw, and it was sheer laziness and/or incompetence by the creators.

And since you don't like nitpicking things, as you said, why don't you go nitpick your patients instead of other peoples opinions.

Posting isn't nitpicking and I think I have maybe gotten 25 posts in this season...and the majority of those were admittedly because I was disenchanted with the sept scene. I have been on and off this board for over a decade. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the episode.

I was simply pointing out that not everyone wants to analyze everything down to CGI as you do. I watch the show for pleasure. That does not make me 'illogical' as you claim. And if you are paying as much attention as you claim, you would understand that the point of the attack was that it occurred on multiple fronts.

You are the one that put your brain in a teaspoon, not I.

I gave it a 10. There were some pretty big sections that I wasn't crazy about, but I thought some pieces of it were just so, so excellent. I thought the Ygritte buildup was terrible, but Jon, Thorn, Grenn, and Sam (and even little Oilie - only the closed captioning said Oily, ha!) were terrific, also poor Pyp and Sam. Loved Maester Aemon's reminiscing about his lost love. Thought the scythe was just awesome.

Gave this one a 10, by the by. Although I do not consider it the best episode of the series, it's among the best, and it really beautifully put together action and character beats.

I admit, I am shocked at the reaction from those who became wholly wedded to the idea that Stannis was going to show up to save the day. Ya'll need to re-read the books and consider why GRRM decided to have the Watch successfully hold off the wildlings for awhile before Stannis's arrival. It serves a very different purpose than when the Lannister-Tyrell host saves King's Landing at the last minute (hint: where does the credit go?)

Having Stannis in the next episode is pretty accurate to rhythms of the novel, in allowing Jon and the Watch to have the full weight of their sacrifices given some meaning rather than having it undercut by a Johnny-come-lately.

Lets ignore the fact that this is being filmed in two weeks on a television budget. Please show anything on television that approaches this episode.

Totally agree and...

Here's the thing, this series wasn't made for ASOIAF fans, it was made to attract those who aren't. ASOIAF fans may bitch and whine about it not being like the books and being crap, shitty production and blah blah blah, but you know what, they'll be tuning in next week. The idea is to attract as many people as possible, stay as true to the plot as possible, and squeeze as much as you can into 10 episodes.

I'm not gonna complain, I thought the only episode this season that wasn't all that good was the Cersei Jaime rape/incest/sex episode. All the rest were great, coming from a book reader.

Gave this one a 10, by the by. Although I do not consider it the best episode of the series, it's among the best, and it really beautifully put together action and character beats.

I admit, I am shocked at the reaction from those who became wholly wedded to the idea that Stannis was going to show up to save the day. Ya'll need to re-read the books and consider why GRRM decided to have the Watch successfully hold off the wildlings for awhile before Stannis's arrival. It serves a very different purpose than when the Lannister-Tyrell host saves King's Landing at the last minute (hint: where does the credit go?)

Having Stannis in the next episode is pretty accurate to rhythms of the novel, in allowing Jon and the Watch to have the full weight of their sacrifices given some meaning rather than having it undercut by a Johnny-come-lately.

Well said.

Yes, but Blackwater episode was much better compared to this. This felt underwelming.

But again, Blackwater episode was shot in a real location and only the explosion was CGI, there was more CGI involvement in this one I think so they had to cut from other things.