How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It was a good episode overall, however, the ending was completely anticlimactic. Honestly, I don't understand why they couldn't have ended it with Stannis, that would have rounded up this episode nicely. I did give it an 8 because it did go by rather quickly and it was entertaining.

I agree the episode really could've used Stannis's arrival. Episode 10 is going to be absolutely insanity as it is. Why did they feel the need to push Stannis up?

I'm finding it hard to rate this one. I gave it an 8 overall, which is high, but it was a hard vote.

On the one hand the battle itself was great. Very dramatic! I loved all the giant stuff. I thought the 6 NW brothers saying the vow as a giant was charging at them was quite touching. The non-book deaths were shocking and gut-punchy. The death of Yigritte was expected, obviously and I thought it was done well and I'm glad they kept the final words

However...there was an obvious end to this episode and it didn't come. Had they spent less time in the beginning gearing up for the battle, we could have had the entire battle for the Wall in this one episode. So now we have to delay and have an JAM PACKED finale and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Worried, I guess.

:grouphug: BearQueen87

I try to rate episodes based on it's own merits, not based what I expected or wanted to see as a book reader. So I'm clearly not part of the "Where was Stannis?" crowd, many of whom clearly gave a bad rating simply because their hero didn't make an appearance...

So, judging the episode for what it was - basically a 1-hour action scene - it was extremely well done. I'm too tired to post all the points I liked but I thought the scale of the wall, the fight scenes, the pacing, the choreography, even most of the dialogue were spot on. And thankfully the Ygritte dying scene didn't stretch on. I am very happy she's gone forever.

Solid 9, maybe only the 2nd time I've given that high of a score this season.

So it didn't infuriate me as much as the last episode with its shitty writing/dialogue. It was what it was supposed to be - a full battle episode. I was okay with the changes they made as they had to, but premature RIP for Pyp and Grenn. However it doesn't come close to Blackwater (still my favourite episode). There wasn't much tension with these characters (as many have mentioned, the wall is a very under-developed plot in the show). It just didn't seem as compelling overall. Plus it's a little too bad they couldn't put much more in the budget of the siege on the wall, with the besieging army. That certainly didn't exhibit the scale it was supposed to.

Certainly not the best GoT episode, but at least it didn't piss me off with shitty writing enough times.

10/10

Badass from start to finish. I was entertained the entire time and it never really slowed down, even during the talking bits. Don't give no shits that Stannis has to wait till next episode, I'm just glad the NW bros got their time to shine. A shame two of 'em are dead, but at least they went out fighting - Grenn especially. I don't mind that Grenn was given Donal's role, t'was a pretty badass execution. Definitely the best episode overall this season, and I'm really surprised I don't even have one complaint.

Based on my raw excitement throughout the entire episode, putting all "this-was-not-like-the-books" criticism aside, and for the fact I actually found myself cheering for Ser Alliser Thorne at one point (which I never would have expected to do), I give it a 9. I think they could have explored a little more the huge advantages of the Wall during the battle.

Mladen, now here I agree with you. They could have had the audience more invested in these characters. But still, perhaps, you are rating the episode a bit too harshly.

The funny thing is that I still haven't rated it... For me, this episode fell short where the Blackwater stood out. Those pauses between battles in Blackwater were stand-out scenes, here it's more of a mush of characters that weren't fleshed out. And that is the consequence of the mistreatment Wall subplot had to endure for the past, well, almost 3 years, especially this year with endless supply of fillers. There were good moments here, but generally this was Blackwater-wannabe episode that simply didn't bring the small moments that made Blackwater so memorable...

Well they were going for a Helm's Deep vibe here and in that they succeeded minus the climax. Sure it would have been more satisfying with Stannis ending but i'll reserve final judgement untill after we see the next episode. I'm REALLY HOPING the Stannis charge doesn't happen at the beginning but anywhere on the second half would be great ESPECIALLY if it's the last scene (I'm almost certain there's no LS reveal because the promo seemed to show Brienne meeting the Hound instead :eek:)

Loved the episode, my only nitpick is that it was too damn short. I won't get at no Stannis as there's one episode left. This episode was great though. Awesome camera work, pacing, fight scenes were great, giants/mammoths looked downright awesome.

And it actually makes it so episode 10 isn't just a boring "tie up until next season" episode like last years.

10/10

Strangely, this is the first time I've given back-to-back 10's.

I loved it despite not getting Stannis and the two (most despised) deaths (for myself). As usual, I'm basing my rating off of what it was and not what I wanted it to be. Sure, no Stannis, but there is plenty of time and they are sticking pretty close to the books and how things played out with this battle at the wall. So, really, why complain?? They don't ever really leave us with cliffhangers so It was a nice change of pace.

Anyhow, phenomenal episode.

Edited by Jon Black

This "epic" battle scene?

The White queen, Da Vinci's Demons, Rome, spartacus, Camelot, Vikings, I could go on

This show had a $60 million budget this season, more than most movies. There's no excuse.

:lol: Um no, that's basically Indie movie budget these days.

I agree the episode really could've used Stannis's arrival. Episode 10 is going to be absolutely insanity as it is. Why did they feel the need to push Stannis up?

I think this is all of wall we see this season, this episode ended in a way like a season finale(for the wall), they killed grenn&pyp to make room for new characters(Val and Queen Selyse's men). And we never saw Mance in this season, even in this episode. I don't think we'll see him in the next neither. This episode was full of NW, next will be full of KL and a bit dany, enough insanity there will be, aye

Edited by Quillon

The funny thing is that I still haven't rated it... For me, this episode fell short where the Blackwater stood out. Those pauses between battles in Blackwater were stand-out scenes, here it's more of a mush of characters that weren't fleshed out. And that is the consequence of the mistreatment Wall subplot had to endure for the past, well, almost 3 years, especially this year with endless supply of fillers. There were good moments here, but generally this was Blackwater-wannabe episode that simply didn't bring the small moments that made Blackwater so memorable...

You said it. The pauses between the battle in the Blackwater episode involved Sansa, Tyrion, Cercei, Sandor... characters the show has spent time fleshing out. Yes, I completely agree with you on that point. But if you look at this episode as a Jon Snow killing the boy and becoming a man journey, it works, perhaps not perfectly. The action sequences were far more coherent and better executed in this episode than in Blackwater. Overall, I still liked the episode and Kit Harrington is finally beginning to look the part of Jon Snow. Can't wait for his and Dillane scenes next season.

The battle sequences in Blackwater were more epic, probably because it involved Stannis cutting down Lannisters. With that said, I did enjoy the episode. I'm not a big Jon Snow fan: both the actor and the character, but he was really good in this episode. Also Thorne, and even Janos. Those complaining about Janos should find something else to complain about. The Sam/Gilly/love convos ran a little long, would've been able to give more screentime to Ghost.

And poor Tormund.....

Well, Tormund's not dead :) Whoo! And this way we'll get more Tormund with him as Jon's prisoner. I thought it was badass how Jon handled him, though...that was great.

Yeah the whole point of the frontal assault was to set up the attack from the South, the attack from the North was just a diversionary tactic. I agree that this criticism is unfounded.

Thank you! Glad someone noticed Jon very explicitly saying that.

Gave this one a 10, by the by. Although I do not consider it the best episode of the series, it's among the best, and it really beautifully put together action and character beats.

I admit, I am shocked at the reaction from those who became wholly wedded to the idea that Stannis was going to show up to save the day. Ya'll need to re-read the books and consider why GRRM decided to have the Watch successfully hold off the wildlings for awhile before Stannis's arrival. It serves a very different purpose than when the Lannister-Tyrell host saves King's Landing at the last minute (hint: where does the credit go?)

Having Stannis in the next episode is pretty accurate to rhythms of the novel, in allowing Jon and the Watch to have the full weight of their sacrifices given some meaning rather than having it undercut by a Johnny-come-lately.

Completely agree. This episode was about the Watch and Jon, not Stannis and his "Here I come to save the day!" last-minute heroics.